Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
frederic

Default Scam

Placed an add on a Woodie Ford page seeking a set of rear fender chrome for my 1947 Wagons. Received SEVERAL replies from England saying they had what I needed. Please send Western Union funds to this or that address. Saying his paypal account was not functioning at this time. Like SURE !!! I almost fell for it until 3 others responded with same offer. NOW I ASK YOU -- how many sets of 1947 rear Woodie fender chrome could one expect to find HERE let along England. What people wont do to try to scam the rest of the world.

frederic
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: Scam

I got the same thing when I asked for 1937 Main caps.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
ford38v8

It's good to post these alerts. If these scams didn't work sometimes, they wouldn't bother trying them.

The Email scams are getting sophisticated too. You'll get a confirmation of a purchase charge to your credit card, with a hot button to push for tracking information. You don't remember what purchase, so you push the button and they gotcha.

A few tips to detect these Email scams:

The same email sent to multiple email addresses.
They don't address you by name.
Somewhere, there will be poor grammer.
There will be a hot button to push for more information or something.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
blawrence

Bin There....Scarey situation...
Brian...
blawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
Plumpcars

Don't blame the British! These tend to be Nigerian run scams. If you are in The States they appear to come from England. If you are in England they appear to come from Canada and so on...
I helped a guy who had sent money to 'London' for Chevy parts and lost it. In that case they had even set up a fake shipping company page so yes they are getting more sophisticated. The early Ford grapevine works pretty well over here. I would think a quick message to any UK member would soon establish whether a part sale was genuine.
Plumpcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
Dave Mc

Those jerks are preying on our Honesty and expectations of others being as Honorable as We are.... Much like the Native Americans were taken advantage of ,but to a much lesser degree.they are only trying to steal your money

Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
SSsssteamer

I advertsied on line for a windshield frame for my 1914 Stanley roadster. The windshield frame on my roadster presently has the wrong frame. An email reply from the UK answered that he had one for $150 from a 1914 roadster that he was parting out. Please send him the money and he would ship it out. I asked first for a picture of the windshield frame, and then he sent me a picture of it. It was of my 1914 Stanley Roadster with me sitting in it. He had found my car's photo on line. I gave the scammer a terse reply.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
I advertsied on line for a windshield frame for my 1914 Stanley roadster. ......An email reply from the UK answered that he had one for $150 .... He had found my car's photo on line. I gave the scammer a terse reply.
Our pride makes us reply, but we should not, as it isn't in our best interest to educate them further. Let them continue to provide us the clues we need to detect the scam.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
ems customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
I advertsied on line for a windshield frame for my 1914 Stanley roadster. The windshield frame on my roadster presently has the wrong frame. An email reply from the UK answered that he had one for $150 from a 1914 roadster that he was parting out. Please send him the money and he would ship it out. I asked first for a picture of the windshield frame, and then he sent me a picture of it. It was of my 1914 Stanley Roadster with me sitting in it. He had found my car's photo on line. I gave the scammer a terse reply.
but you could have told him a fake w/u pick up number and make him go to western union a few times just to %^^&&** with him
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
46fordnut

there are some that go right to your hard drive of your computer ...if you or any body get an e mail that starts like this DO NOT OPEN!!! ( just for you or here it is)..those are two newer ones i know of.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
Shadetree

A good friend of mine bought a time share condo a few years back. He paid a lot of money for it and has never seen it. He has tried to sell it and keeps getting scam artists wanting to `take it off his hands.' One scammer took his money and ran. Now he is very leery. He says he has been offered thousands of dollars to little or nothing, all scammers.

There are people out there with no conscious, have no shame and will take your last dime. You must stay vigilant at all times. I would like to pay my monthly bills online as many do, but I am too concerned of getting ripped off, so I pay by snail mail.

Shadetree
Old 12-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #12
Shadetree

Here is a scam we received a couple of weeks ago from `Amazon'. I thought my wife had ordered this but she didn't. So I checked with Amazon and they showed no recent transactions. I didn't dare reply to the sender or respond to `click here' options.
Shadetree

Your estimated delivery date is:
Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Thank you for shopping with us. We thought you'd like to know that we shipped this portion of your order separately to give you quicker service. You won't be charged any extra shipping fees, and the remainder of your order will follow as soon as those items become available. If you need to return an item from this shipment or manage other orders, please visit Your Orders on Amazon.com.

Shipment Details

Omron FGH-304E Fat Loss Monitor, Black $169.95 (My wife was really upset over this!)
Item Subtotal: $169.95
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Total Before Tax: $169.95
Shipment Total: $169.95
Paid by Visa: $169.95 (We don't have a Visa Credit Card)

You have only been charged for the items sent in this shipment. Per our policy, you only pay for items when we ship them to you.

Returns are easy. Visit our .
If you need further assistance with your order, please visit Customer Service.

We hope to see you again soon!
Amazon.com
Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
A good friend of mine bought a time share condo a few years back. He paid a lot of money for it and has never seen it. He has tried to sell it and keeps getting scam artists wanting to `take it off his hands.' One scammer took his money and ran. Now he is very leery. He says he has been offered thousands of dollars to little or nothing, all scammers.

There are people out there with no conscious, have no shame and will take your last dime. You must stay vigilant at all times. I would like to pay my monthly bills online as many do, but I am too concerned of getting ripped off, so I pay by snail mail.

Shadetree
You know the difference between a time share, syphilis and gonorrhea? You can get rid of syphilis and gonorrhea. LOL
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
FL&WVMIKE

Back in the "OLD" Fordbarn days, when these scams started, I placed an ad, wanting a 1940 Ford Greyhound radiator cap.
Sure 'nuff, someone from the UK (Nigeria), had one. I requested a photo of it, but never heard back.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

I have a set of 1913 side lights with brackets for a Caddy and listed No international sales, I had 22 emails from someone. He said he would send his shipping company to pick up the lights and he wanted my bank info to wire the money. When I said no to shipping company, that I would ship after I received a certified cashiers check and after 10 days to have it clear I would pack and ship was the only way. They became very aggressive and would not really answer my questions. so I told them it was sold and they went away.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
Gumpy

anyone been scammed lately?
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #17
ford1

i advertised i wanted a 49 merc radio, and sure enough a guy in the uk had one send money western union and i would have it in a week, i cant find one here where they were made, do you really think theres one over there? i dont think so
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote