Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
oldforder

Default drain holes in doors and body

Even though I don't take any of my classics out in the rain if I can help it, I do know where the drain holes are, and make sure they are open on my 64 Ranchero, and my 65 Mustang, but I haven't yet looked specifically for them on the 29 Tudor. Since it seems to get harder every day to crawl around under it, I was wondering if you could clue me in to what and where I should be looking for. Especially for the body drains. A picture or two would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: drain holes in doors and body

I don't believe there are actual drain hole in the quarterpanels. I did some rust-out repairs for a friend 8 or 9 years ago on his 29 tudor quaterpanels. I am posting a picture below that shows the notches in the bottom of a quarterpanel. The bottom part of the quarterpanel is crimped around the rear part of the subrail. The notches provide a number of defacto "drain holes". I don't think you could do much to "clear" the notches as they are tight up against the subrail. As far as the doors, there are drain holes in the bottom of them. You can see the drain holes in the doors by just looking at the bottom of the doors.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maury's original quarterpanel 1.jpg (60.3 KB, 84 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
slammin

There are 3 round drain holes in the bottom of the Tudor doors. Where the splash guard and the front of rear fender meet the body there is a rectangular drain hole on both sides. I was unable to get a picture of it. My 29 Tudor doesn't have any interior panels, so I can shine a bright light at that corner and see it inside.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
oldforder

So maybe on the rear windows I should try to rig up some kind of seal to keep at least most of the rain out of the body if I get caught out in the rain?
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
slammin

That hole I mentioned at the front of the rear fender should drain the area under the quarter windows. Others have mentioned using round foam to push in the gap at the bottom of the window to seal out water when washing the car. I plan to try that.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote