Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
OLDTINDEALER

Default 1932 Ford V8 emblem questions

Couple of questions on the iconic 32 V8 headlight bar V8 emblem. I know there have been several different reproductions over the years. What is the best way to identify an original? I have 4 I believe are original, all weigh 2.2 ounces, BUT the 2 darker ones weigh 55 grams and the 2 lighter ones weigh 60 grams. All have clean castings, third from left has 4 near makers mark, rest have 1. Last photo is one I believe maybe be a repo (sold as a original) but it weighs 2.2 ounces and 60 grams. Clear makers mark and number 4. Casting feels rough and no trace of any chrome over the bare metal. Also who made these?

This is probably the only area David skims over in his book.

PS my digital scale only weighs in 5 gram scales so these all may be within tolerances
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7642.jpg (64.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7643.jpg (52.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7645.jpg (59.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7646.jpg (48.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7648.jpg (39.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7649.jpg (33.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7651.jpg (33.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by OLDTINDEALER; 09-18-2019 at 07:33 PM.
OLDTINDEALER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #2
35fordtn

Default Re: 1932 Ford V8 emblem questions

Maybe I’m wrong but I thought that no of the reproductions made currently or in the past had the part # cast into them.

This comment isn’t directed towards you in any way whatsoever, but when we get into parts that we have to get this far into to tiny tiny details to identify a reproduction from a original, why do we even care if the reproduction is that good or close to a original... my 32 has a reproduction radiator cap, as it’s a perfect reproduction. For what the original sold for, I could have bought 25 new ones
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
35fordtn

edit: as it double posted my comment
Old 09-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #4
OLDTINDEALER

Photos of cheap aluminum repo's Weigh 1.3 ounces or 35 grams. Note lack of space between upper "O" of 8 and sides of V. Part number/ markers mark and number on back. When these are (and they are being passed off as real) it hurts legit parts dealers (like you), hobbyist, and everyone in general. Look what is happening to the gas cans/sign hobby. Now they are starting to "fake" license plates. It costs the confidence of the consumer and those in the hobby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7652.jpg (50.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7653.jpg (47.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
35fordtn

Ahh I see well aluminum would definitely be a dead giveaway..
Old 09-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
OLDTINDEALER

Right, but eventually they will be casting these in India, just like repo porcelain signs. Very difficult to distinguish from real. If it gets to the point the $$ is good enough it will be produced to be passed off as real. Many people prefer original and will pay for them. Many people "save" them because of their rarity. If the general public can't tell the real from the fake, we all lose in the end. NOS and original parts value decline, replaced with NORS. We all know the various problems of NORS. Plus guys who buy and sell "hordes" of parts will face a tougher time selling them. Imagine if you bought on good faith some "original" parts, resold them only to have them be repo's made to pass off as real. Loss of income, reputation, etc, etc.

Just want to be sure I have Originals so I can, in the best and highest faith,state that they are for any future owner.

Last edited by OLDTINDEALER; 09-18-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #7
35fordtn

Absolutely and thats why my comments above were not directed at you I understand you are wanting to be 100% to be fair with your buyer. I commend you for that!

Hey, If they will be make a accurate reproduction of the Porcelain grille emblems in India, I could love with that!! NOS ones are nearly gone and the reproductions are not close.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #8
OLDTINDEALER

[QUOTE=35fordtn;1800624]Absolutely and thats why my comments above were not directed at you I understand you are wanting to be 100% to be fair with your buyer. I commend you for that!

Right, but should be "marked" some how indiscreetly. Some repo signs are now marked on back with words like reprint, remade and date.

4 or 5 emblems many be too many...so.
Also I am young (53) but need to document for family just in case.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #9
Fordors

FWIW here is a photo from a thread started on the HAMB by 3W Larry (RIP) and it shows a part number on the emblem. I’m on my cell phone and can’t post a link to the thread, but Larry and others were convinced this was a Ford original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B081203A-C530-4978-8833-E766E22CE132.jpg (44.8 KB, 246 views)
Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #10
deuce_roadster

I have an NOS one and it has the part # on the back. I will take a picture of it and post in my MISC photo folder a little bit later.
OK, photos in my public album MISC. You can see the part# clearly.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 09-18-2019 at 08:49 PM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #11
mercman from oz

Enlarged picture of the 1932 Ford V8 Badge with Part Number on the inside.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #12
OLDTINDEALER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I have an NOS one and it has the part # on the back. I will take a picture of it and post in my MISC photo folder a little bit later.
OK, photos in my public album MISC. You can see the part# clearly.

Thank you Deuce Roadster..
WOW opening a can of worms here. Your photo match ONE of my emblems exactly. Third photo (of my thread) third emblem from left. It also has the number 4. NOTICE the ridge behind the V is shorter on #4 emblems (below the center line of the "O") while all my #1 emblems the ridge extends above the center line. The "repo"? #4 also stop BELOW the center line. Also the circular injection dimple at the base of the "V" ridge on #1's is lower and runs into the bottom edge of the "V". Could we have at least 2 different castings? makers? Probably gonna keep the 32 guys up all night on this one.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #13
DavidG

OLDTINDEALER,

Thanks for the insult. The two photos below are what are included in the book; it's a NOS emblem of which I've had more than my fair share. Could there have been more than one supplier of the part? Absolutely, as multiple outside sourcing was Ford's policy and examples of it abound. Could a supplier have multiple molds for castings and other molded parts? Your example of numbers from 1 to 4 is likely example of that practice. (The best example of that practice are the mold numbers on head lamp lenses.) Should the book not have been published until photos of all possible variations of all the suppliers' parts were in hand?

Are you saying that the book should have gone beyond showing originals and should inform the readers how to avoid reproductions such as including the weight of the originals? Think about that for a minute. Instead of 600 plus pages, what, 1,200 pages? Many of the owners of the book can't be bothered to look in it to find answers to their questions, but call or e-mail me for me to provide that which they already have in their possession. Would more detail lessen that tendency or increase it. I'm pretty confident of the answer.

While I laud your efforts to make the world a better place, you'll not likely put a dent in the tendency of the unscrupulous or the ill informed to mis-identify and/or overstate the virtues of what they are trying to sell. A review of the ads on any given day on ebay and HAMB yield all sorts of examples of exaggeration or misinformation from mild to extreme.

As the lead-in to the cars for sale and parts for sale pages on the HAMB make clear, caveat emptor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 365.jpg (35.8 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 366.jpg (34.2 KB, 209 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #14
petehoovie

Dave's '32 NOS Emblem....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:14 PM   #15
OLDTINDEALER

David,
Sorry, I ABSOLUTELY did not mean it in any way as an insult. Perhaps it came across that way due to my own frustration in not being able to find the information I needed to answer my own question. I had the pleasure of meeting you once, although it was under very sad circumstances.

I am deeply saddened that I have offended you and hope you will accept my sincere apologizes.

Last edited by OLDTINDEALER; 09-18-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:33 PM   #16
ford38v8

Never complain, never explain.

Henry Ford ll
Old 09-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #17
DavidG

OLDTINDEALER.

Accepted.

Thanks.