Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: $ 99,500 a400

Just because someone spends $100,000.00 in restoring a car, that does not make the car worth $100,000.00.
What do these restorers charge by the hour, somewhere between $50.00 to $100.00 ? You could turn a hulk over to a restorer and tell him to do it all. You could spend much more than the car would ever be worth.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
redmodelt

Hay, if its not sold I can give you the number for a guy here in Portland OR that has an 400-A. You can restore it to any level you like. I am in the process of working on one for a customer now. Nice on the out side, but OMG from underneath.Send me a PM and I will get it to you.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #23
Tinker

Agreed Mike, but it's a nice car and the more they go for the better :]'

Rest assured, they are not making new ones.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #24
spike

Was this car ever fine pointed by marc or mafca? If it had of they should of stated the points it got and that might of helped it sell, or if not he should have shown it. Brent did a nice job and I am sure it would score good.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #25
MikeK

Here we have a case of two frauds. 1) the OWNER, having no intent on selling at this time, fishing for the highest bid, which he will not accept, based on the high but initially unseen reserve. 2) a FRAUDSTER posting an intentionally erroneus bid with too many zeros to reveal the reserve price, which it did. ($99,500) Revealing that reserve uncovered the no-sale intent of the owner. BOTH have fraudulently used ebay.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #26
Mitch Bunkin in PA

Bidding closed at $42,600.00 with reserve not met.

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #27
dlshady

I have a hard time understanding how the seller wanting $99,500 for his car could be considered "fraud". Just because he wants top dollar for his car doesn't make the guy a crook. Heck, I see that mentality all the time where a seller decides that "if I can get the right price for my (name your item) then I'll let it go, but if I can't then I'll just keep it..." Not really any different than this guy asking $11,000 for his car when I wouldn't give $6000 for it, but somebody must see some value in it because the bid is up over $10,000.

Now the bid retraction, that's another story. You have to be pretty oblivious to not notice that extra digit....twice..... Once on the "place bid" screen and again on the "confirm bid" screen.

Deron
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
If i may cut in ...I believe and almost sure this car was forsale and sold on Ebay for $49.000.00- 85% done but the colors were Copra Drab & Chicle Drab with LB. upholstery still in the box. The seller has $100,000.00 into it. With that said i would not spend what the bid is right now on this car. Brent did a very nice job on the car trying to save it from the person who restored it before Brent got it.. That's all i am going to say. Car has some issues. not major but P.S. "THANK YOU DAVE L. for 400A and NOT A400 .The Best buy was Bruce Bones 400A at $45,000.[twin to this one] but no whitewalls. that it did not sell then. But its in a good home now. Brent could jump in and say it is not the car i am speaking about.
Peter is correct in that the car does have some small issues that could be repaired if someone desired to go after a Henry, --and all of them are parts replacement where timing did not allow to secure/restore an original item, --or now more information is available knowing what would be correct. On the other hand, if someone wanted a 'driver', none of these issues affect this whatsoever. His numbers are close except I was thinking Bruce's car sold for WAY more than $45k.

Nonetheless, MikeK, I just lost a huge amount of respect for you after that rude public comment above since to my knowledge, you do not know the owner, ...nor his true motives. Have you ever considered that maybe if you owned a car as nice as this one that you would feel the value of your car would be what the reserve of this car is?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #29
Bill O'Brien

Maybe his wife said....'You put that car for sale on Ebay and get rid of it!' So he puts it out there above the market..... 'Sorry honey, it didn't sell. I can't believe it... had it priced just right too....'

Why is it that it really frustrates us when a seller puts a car for sale at a price that is clearly above the market vaue??

I can't tell you how many nasty emails a seller received who was selling a high priced car a while back on EBay... he was asking 4 times the market value. No one had to buy it or even bid on it but it clearly pissed people off......
Bill O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #30
Blessyouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O'Brien View Post
Why is it that it really frustrates us when a seller puts a car for sale at a price that is clearly above the market vaue??
Do you think this car was priced above market value? If so, what do you think the market value of a 400A, in this condition, is?
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #31
Chris in WNC

a very clever way to discover the reserve and then claim a typo to retract the bid.
to me it borders on unethical, but that's for eBay & the bidder to sort out.
same with the question of possible shill bidding.

final bid was not much considering it sold for $40,000 just before Brent went to work on it.

lighten up, gentlemen. I would likely never pay that much for a car, but I am not offended by anyone's asking prices. we all have the option to walk away if we think it's too much.

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 10-06-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: eliminating redundancy & replying to subsequent posts
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #32
Cool Hand Lurker

The other shill bidder is the one with zero rating who bid $100 at a time until it got up over the second place bidder's proxy bid was reached. All that does is kick up the bid with no intention of winning the auction.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote