Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #21
zippi

Default Re: *1937 Pickup Windshield Regulator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
The crank mechanism is right there in post #15. Or is that not your truck?..... Mark
That is not my truck. I just showed that pic to see if the screws I had circled needed to be removed.
zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #22
zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
OK, I believe the '37 dash is very sim to my '38 so here goes. Look under the bottom edge of the dash overhang. I believe that you should find the screws that hold it to the dash. You will probably have to remove the interior pillar trim on each side of the windshield first as they may sit over the edge of the top of the dash panel. Note that the window crank comes off with the dash top panel. You do not have to remove it first as it should slide off the windshield crank shaft. Remove these pieces and you will have access to the crank mechanism.
If it slides off the crank shaft how does the crank handle come off? I thought there was a clip on the backside of the panel that holds the handle on.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #23
38bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippi View Post
If it slides off the crank shaft how does the crank handle come off? I thought there was a clip on the backside of the panel that holds the handle on.
The clip holds the handle in the panel. The handle then slides onto the crank's shaft as the panel is slid in place. Once the panel is off you can pull the clip and remove the handle.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:17 AM   #24
kiwitony

You have to get windscreen open to remove dash panel as there are screws in the lip that the window shuts on. Usually the teeth on the winder mechanism or worn away in the closed spot as over the years people have cranked the hell out of it to try and stop it leaking. If it hasn't been sealed shut you can push at the bottom while turning the handle and strike good teeth and open screen, If sealed shut you need to feed a bit of piano wire our similar and cut the old sealer. hope this helps cheers tony.
kiwitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:52 AM   #25
Ray Balukas

I think I have a regulator if you need one, PM me. Ray Also get a windshield seal From Drake fits the best.
Ray Balukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:29 AM   #26
zippi

Thanks everyone for your help on this issue. I have a much better understanding on just how the windshield crank mechanism works now. If the windshield will not open to remove the screws due to the crank being stripped out, what is plan B? This may be a winter project as I'd hate to have my pickup down in the prime time of Hot Rod season.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #27
37 truck

You will have to open the windshield to get the dash screws out. There are six that are behind the windshield frame.
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #28
zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 truck View Post
You will have to open the windshield to get the dash screws out. There are six that are behind the windshield frame.
Gottya. So...with the windshield crank not working what are my options for getting the windshield open to remove those 6 screws? If it's the crank handle that is stripped out could a fellow reach under the dash with a pair of channel locks and turn the shaft to open the windshield? (what direction on the handle opens the windshield) It's 97 degrees today with a heat index of 105 so I'm not going to spend a lot of time in the garage after work checking this out. May have to wait til next week when the weather is more user friendly.

Last edited by zippi; 07-19-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #29
zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Click the link below for a thread that MIGHT help you see what you're working with. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ield+regulator

I appreciate the link. As they say....pictures are worth a thousand words.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #30
V8COOPMAN

The regulator is bolted to the dash with two screws from the bottom. Look at the two slots in the pic below. Apparently, the two screws go up through the two slots visible in the pic. Seems like IF you can get the two screws out, and that if you can release the clip for the hand crank knob, the windshield frame should push open with the regulator still attached to it, so that you can get to the screws that you can't see now. I'm gonna suggest that YOU do all of this YOURSELF before-hand, as the morons that you will likely find at the local glass shop ain't gonna have a clue, nor are they gonna give a rat's ass about your antique truck problems. With that, he just might give it a shot with a hatchet and make what you have FUBAR! Good luck!! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #31
zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
The regulator is bolted to the dash with two screws from the bottom. Look at the two slots in the pic below. Apparently, the two screws go up through the two slots visible in the pic. Seems like IF you can get the two screws out, and that if you can release the clip for the hand crank knob, the windshield frame should push open with the regulator still attached to it, so that you can get to the screws that you can't see now. I'm gonna suggest that YOU do all of this YOURSELF before-hand, as the morons that you will likely find at the local glass shop ain't gonna have a clue, nor are they gonna give a rat's ass about your antique truck problems. With that, he just might give it a shot with a hatchet and make what you have FUBAR! Good luck!! DD

LOL...well said. I'm going to take a look at it here shortly with a COLD Modelo in hand. It hit 100 today. Got a pic of the clip as I'll probably have to feel for it. . Man that is hot.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #32
zippi

My windshield is loose. I unscrewed the 2 bolts from under the dash that hold the regulator in place in hopes of seeing the windshield move a little at the middle but no luck. No way to get to the clip. The clip and shaft are on the top side of the sub plate of the dash. Can't see anything from under the dash. Man....this is a head catcher.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #33
zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
It sounds like the regulator is holding it closed. Can you reach the screws that hold the regulator arms to the windshield frame? If so, remove them and the windshield should push open.
Just took a look. I can see the screws but no way to get to them. My windshield is loose but it looks like the last time the windshield was cranked shut it totally stripped out and is now stuck. The only thing I can get to from under the dash are the 2 bolts the hold the regulator in place. Everything else is sandwiched between the dash panel and I guess you could call it a sub dash panel. How in the heck can I get the windshield to crank out is a real head scratcher. I sure there have been others with this same problem. I just need one of them to read this post.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #34
SofaKing

If the windshield moves, try getting a ratcheting, 90degree, screwdriver to remove the forward screws from the panel top. Or try on the regulator arms, either way the panel and the regulator will need to be removed, just a question of which comes off easier, which translates to first. Put some penetrant on them and let soak. (maybe test it first for compatibility with your paint)
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #35
37 truck

Here is another regulator picture. You may be able to cut the screw heads off between the dash and windshield. Maybe a little dremal cutoff wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170718_084730.jpg (25.7 KB, 25 views)
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #36
zippi

Talking Re: *1937 Pickup Windshield Regulator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 truck View Post
Here is another regulator picture. You may be able to cut the screw heads off between the dash and windshield. Maybe a little dremal cutoff wheel.
SofaKing/37 truck,

I appreciate your thoughts on this issue. I don't think there is enough room between the dash panel and the glass to get a 90 degree ratchet but there might be enough room for a small cut off wheel to cut the 2 bolts off the where the arms attach to the bottom of the frame. I'll have to take another look when I get home. Heat index today is 105 so I won't be looking long. Thanks guys.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #37
zippi

Look what I have now. Am open weidsheild. I am a happy camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170720_153613.jpg (32.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #38
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Ok, now for the rest of the story? How did you get it to open?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170720_153613.jpg (20.8 KB, 15 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #39
zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Ok, now for the rest of the story? How did you get it to open?
While I was trying to push out on the windshield and turn the crank handle it fell off in my hand. I was abe to almost pull the handle off and get it to grab some teeth on the shaft and it cranked open. I was amazed I got it open that easy.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #40
SofaKing

zippi, glad it is open. To clarify, see photo of 90 degree ratcheting screwdriver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.9 KB, 22 views)
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote