Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Grapejuice

Default T5 or T10 swap

I apologize in advance if this subject has been covered, but I have tried using the search function first and it didn't turn up any results.
Can anyone point me towards some information on a Borg Warner T5 or T10 swap into a Model A? I understand that it requires a AA bell housing, is that correct?
Grapejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: T5 or T10 swap

Lots of info on the EV8 Barn and HAMB for this type of swap, also many use a ford p/up 3 spd w/ o/drive.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Grapejuice

I'm not familiar with the EV8, but I am a member on the HAMB. Can you link me to EV8 please?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Richard in Anaheim CA

Just click on Early V8 instead of Model A when you log on this site.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
AL in NY

IMHO, the best swap of a modern transmission into a stock Model A is the Tremec RTS 4 speed with 4th being OD. This unit gives you a four gear synchromesh transmission with overdrive in 4th gear. This transmission is fitted in the Model A less it's tail shaft and therefore can be mounted in front of the frame cross member and brake cross shaft using a Model AA truck bell housing. The only real modification to the car itself is the drive shaft, torque tube and radius rods have to be shortened about 2 1/2". This transmission came in 84-87 Ford F150 2 wheel drive trucks with the L6 or small V8. If you feel you need a 5 speed, then more changes have to be done to the chassis and drive train because the transmission tail shaft cannot be eliminated. This means the frame cross member will have to be modified, the torque tube will have to be changed to an open drive shaft with universal joints. The Model A hollow radius rods will have to be replaced with something stronger that will absorb the rotational torque of the rear axle. And the mechanical brakes will have to be changed to juice brakes because the that rotational movement of the rear axle. If you would like the research the 4-speed OD transmission, search using "F150".
Old 12-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
IMHO, the best swap of a modern transmission into a stock Model A is the Tremec RTS 4 speed with 4th being OD. This unit gives you a four gear synchromesh transmission with overdrive in 4th gear. This transmission is fitted in the Model A less it's tail shaft and therefore can be mounted in front of the frame cross member and brake cross shaft using a Model AA truck bell housing. The only real modification to the car itself is the drive shaft, torque tube and radius rods have to be shortened about 2 1/2". This transmission came in 84-87 Ford F150 2 wheel drive trucks with the L6 or small V8. If you feel you need a 5 speed, then more changes have to be done to the chassis and drive train because the transmission tail shaft cannot be eliminated. This means the frame cross member will have to be modified, the torque tube will have to be changed to an open drive shaft with universal joints. The Model A hollow radius rods will have to be replaced with something stronger that will absorb the rotational torque of the rear axle. And the mechanical brakes will have to be changed to juice brakes because the that rotational movement of the rear axle. If you would like the research the 4-speed OD transmission, search using "F150".
I'm using a T-5 transmission out of a S10 4x4 and keeping torque tube drive shaft....
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
I'm using a T-5 transmission out of a S10 4x4 and keeping torque tube drive shaft....
There are several commercial conversions available now for the T5 that keep the torque tube.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
jerry shook

I bough the kit to install a t-5 in my town sedan . it works great but would go with the t-4 next time the t-5 is a little to high gear unless you are over 55-60 i can cruse at 70-75 easy on the freeway. you get everything except the trans . you can find a trans at the junk yard .
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
itslow

Keep in mind that the T10 is a totally different transmission than the T5. They're only related by (original) brand and similar name. The T10 is similar to the Saginaw or Muncie transmissions of the '60s; probably not what you're looking for.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Grapejuice

Another question along the same lines;
What's a fair price for a good usable AA bell housing?

1930 Cabriolet (the newest project)
1929 Special Coupe (pieces n parts)
1928 Sport Coupe (the driver)
Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
AL in NY

Grapejuice, I would say $50 - $100. Try Bert's in Denver.........
Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
Crazydaddyo

Here is some info on the T-5 swap in a model A with the torque tube.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=256226

Crazydaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
Grapejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydaddyo View Post
Here is some info on the T-5 swap in a model A with the torque tube.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=256226

Thanks!!

1930 Cabriolet (the newest project)
1929 Special Coupe (pieces n parts)
1928 Sport Coupe (the driver)
Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
callcoy

I have seen the conversion kit that crazydaddyo makes and I believe is sold thru Steve Serr - Miller High Speed Heads. It can include the custom cast bellhousing as shown or you can use a AA bellhousing. If you choose to go that way you will have to adapt your trans to the AA housing and mount clutch and brake pedals yourself as they are not part of the housing. Either way you go with crazydaddyo's conversion, your project will be "First Cabin", it is very well made. The beauty of his kit is it retains the closed drive line and maintains the geometry of the rear suspension. As mentioned earlier the HAMB has quite a bit of information on "T-5's" with a great deal of coverage on crazydaddyo's product. By the way there are 265 versions of the T-5 with numerous differant gear ratios, you will need a T-5 from a Chev, S-10 or GMC S-15 4wd to do this conversion. Gears are interchangable, but there is a lighter duty (non-world class) heavier duty (world class) either will work with an "A". I do not think you can intermix the gears from one class to another, but I am not sure.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
sonny30coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
Keep in mind that the T10 is a totally different transmission than the T5. They're only related by (original) brand and similar name. The T10 is similar to the Saginaw or Muncie transmissions of the '60s; probably not what you're looking for.
Why is that probably not what a person would want? I am also contemplating a tranny swap .......
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 PM   #16
denver9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapejuice View Post
I apologize in advance if this subject has been covered, but I have tried using the search function first and it didn't turn up any results.
Can anyone point me towards some information on a Borg Warner T5 or T10 swap into a Model A? I understand that it requires a AA bell housing, is that correct?
No, you use an adapter plate between the stock model A bell housing and the T5 transmission. Unfortunately Mr. Lewis, the gentleman that offered the kit, seems to be no longer be with us? There are some specially machined parts envolved, so good luck in finding a successor to Mr. Lewis.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
denver9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:46 AM   #17
Chris Haynes

I don't understand the urge to put a modern transmission is an antique car. If it more speed you want it is far easier to install a Mitchell gear spliter. I enjoy driving my A with its original transmission. It works fine.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:06 AM   #18
CarlG

I am rather biased, but my choice is a Tremec RTS 4-speed overdrive transmission. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:32 AM   #19
Del in NE Ohio

I am with CarlG on this one. I have the Tremac 4 speed in my '31 CCPU. Best of both worlds! This past Spring at a swap meet in Marietta, OH, I met a fellow from KY who had purchased Mr. Lewis's tooling, etc. and was now selling those 5 speed kits again. I'll try to find his business card
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #20
lmccain

Valley Machine makes all the T-5 conversion parts needed for the Model A. Open or closed drive line options and even a speedometer adapter
http://www.valleymachineshop.com/model-a-parts.html
lmccain is offline   Reply With Quote