Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
Fredb_

Default Water pump rebuilds

When doing a complete engine rebuild on a worn out flathead, It's obvious one would replace or rebuild the water pumps. I have the two matching pumps that were on my 81a 24 stud motor. Would I want to get these pumps rebuilt, or buy a set from a good rebuilder? I have seen threads on here about special pumps that are being sold and touted to give better cooling. Any words of wisdom for me on this? Thanks!
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Brendan

Default Re: Water pump rebuilds

I would send them to Skip Haney in Florida. he will do a good job. it will be easier now then doing it later. he has done my pumps for me!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

Send them to Skip. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
texas webb

x-3 for Skip.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Binx

fordcollector.com is Skip's website
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Old Henry

Read this thread: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106054 Skip's pumps are only recommended (by Skip) to be used without thermostats. With thermostats they are no better and maybe worse as explained in that thread.

Last edited by Old Henry; 04-06-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Read this thread: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106054 Skip's pumps are only recommended (by Skip) to be used without thermostats. With thermostats they are no better and maybe worse as explained in that thread.

Not so if you have full flow thermostats, My 8BA is living proof!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
Not so if you have full flow thermostats, My 8BA is living proof!
If you are referring to Shewman's when you say "full flow" thermostats read this thread: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112889 (It only applies to the 59A and earlier style. His 8BA style is a the same high flow thermostat as Robert Shaw and is, indeed, high flow.)

Skip still doesn't recommend the use of his pumps with thermostats.

Last edited by Old Henry; 04-06-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone! I haven't posted in a while.

[Edit: added this line.] To answer the first question, rebuilt. To address the second...

There are many factors that add or subtract to flathead cooling, certainly the water pumps are an important component, I think we can agree to this.

The folks at www.fordcollector.com are water pump (and coil, and other pieces) rebuild experts (as well as experts on varied vital subjects), but who use "improved" replacement parts in the pumps related to the impeller, at least I think. (See the referenced thread above.) Their pumps are on many members' engine(s), I have a set waiting to go on mine when needed. [Edited: Added here.] The member above, Cecil, from personal knowledge he's an expert mechanic and driver, and friend, BTW.

(On the coil subject I was treated exceptionally fairly by this supplier when they fixed one that was destroyed through no fault of their own. So even if their products are not the replacement for sliced bread, the business is headed in an admirable direction as evidenced by their reputation, some would say innovation, and product support.)

The thermostat question still hangs out there. I run with none. I'm not saying I'm smart, but it works for the miles and terrain I drive.

The pumps in question come with recommendations, including using coolant additives and using thermostats from a recommended supplier. Not especially good or bad, just good to know in advance.

My $0.02. If I was tearing an engine down, I'd pay particular attention to getting the block clean. Many stories about dirty blocks are floating on the forums. Then I'd contact Mr. Haney for advice on pumps and your coil(s) including your backup. [Edit: Added here.] Then, being on the East Coast, I'd send the whole lot to Walt in Maine, then I'd pay the bill, install it, and I'd drive it for twenty years!

I hope this helps.

-VT/JeffH

Last edited by VeryTangled; 04-06-2014 at 02:15 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
HCO41

Got the pumps for my 8ba back from Skip about a month ago. Instructions included with pumps said if thermostats are used the only ones acceptable were Bob Shewman's. I believe in using thermostats and have dutifly installed Bob's high flow 'stats. Engine is yet to be installed.
Howard

Last edited by HCO41; 04-06-2014 at 02:24 PM.
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Another vote for pumps rebuilt by Skip Haney. I have non restrictive thermostats in my '35 sedan and with Skips pumps and his overflow check valve, no more puking coolant and overheating.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
VeryTangled

The comment from JM, above, is from another expert mechanic who is FordBarn member of the year, and who wheeled and backfired from MD to NV and back just to warm up for a 12K+ mileage driving season. Whatever the questions about the Haney pumps, they are not a bad choice.

-VT/JeffH
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #13
Walt Dupont--Me.

I have used many many of Skips pumps and coils and really sadisfide. I got a set of pumps back from Ship about a month ago, opened the carton and it had been damaged in shipping, called Skip, he said send it right back, he replaced the bent pulley and sent it right back to me. Skip has rebuilt quite few of those early coils that bolt on top of the dist. I've got to say, you cain't get your finger off the starter button fast enough the engine is running no matter how hot the engine is. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
BobbyG

John JM35 Sedan, very kindly assisted me with my purchase of Skip's waterpumps ( thanks John mate ) I love them ! Very clever man - superb craftmanship. My v8 runs lovely no drips - no overheating.
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #15
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ight=teck+talk

Std pumps verses the turbo rebuilds .Attached is the link of a radiator cleaning thred .You would be surprised how much a stock pump flows .Some time back I did some experiments on the pumps by fitting them up to a tank on the early 21 stud 4 blade I got a 3 feet of spay out of the pump at 1400 RPM .You may need the extra flow if your radiator is marginal ,I fitted a shroud to my 34 and after returning from a car show yesterday it was confirmed to me again as I came of the motorway at the first set of lights the temperature was level pegging rather than starting to clime .a restricted or under capacity Radiator will need a shroud or the water forced through it so a valve or over flow tank will be needed . Consider a extra row of tubes .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2734.jpg (91.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2733.jpg (72.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2732.jpg (87.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2735.jpg (75.5 KB, 20 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #16
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

All Ford day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2727.jpg (120.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2728.jpg (100.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2729.jpg (101.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2730.jpg (77.1 KB, 12 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #17
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
If you are referring to Shewman's when you say "full flow" thermostats read this thread: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112889 (It only applies to the 59A and earlier style. His 8BA style is a the same high flow thermostat as Robert Shaw and is, indeed, high flow.)

Skip still doesn't recommend the use of his pumps with thermostats.
I have 330-160 stats and I haven't heard about not using stats if they don't restrict flow. I'm just reporting what works for me.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
Tinker

I thought skip also rebuild the pumps without the high flow propeller? If wanted that way?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #19
B-O-B

Talking Re: Water pump rebuilds

I have a 36 LB 21 stud engine that had water blowing out when pushing it & getting warm one grades. Sent two nos pumps to skip for his touch. Got them Back & installed them along with the 3# check valve. Runs good & no blowout the radiator cap when pushing it or up a grade. This is a fairly fresh rebuild by Furtado (now deceased) & cleaned radiator. Only wishes are better gearing as with the 4:11s I seldom use 1st gear. Better gas mileage would be good with higher gear as then I would make longer trips.
The skinny little air filter is history in the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2749.JPG (102.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2006 002.jpg (84.5 KB, 31 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #20
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I thought skip also rebuild the pumps without the high flow propeller? If wanted that way?
Why would he rebuild pumps that never properly cooled these engines the way they were?? He ONLY rebuilds them for better flow which improves the cooling. G.M.