Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #21
Fordors

Default Re: How many lost their deposit $ with LeBaron Bonney

Just my take on this as a complete outsider, I have no skin in the game but I Googled the company and learned a few things. LeBaron-Bonney started operations in 1938 and went into antique automobile upholstery in 1959, then around 1997 was picked up by an investment group. I think the name was Brynavon, and after about twenty years they sold the business to the gentleman that was the president of the firm. Brynavon was only involved in L-B as an investor, they had no managerial input. It’s hard for me to believe that Scott Holbrook could have run the company into the ground in the short span he was the owner, there must be underlying aspects that we are not aware of. Was he led down a rosy path by the investment group and maybe hadn’t done his due diligence?
Old 03-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #22
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
And the point of this thread is?
To nail these people with a class action! Isn't it no brainer?
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #23
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
As a group? A) Claims have to be filed individually, and B) no one has lost anything until their claim is denied or if accepted.
Not true on either point. A group can file, not just individually. Failure for LB to deny or accept does not justify non responsiveness.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #24
DavidG

Philipswanson,

What, 20 or so customers banding together for the pursuit of a $40,000 class action suit with documentation all over the map? Will that move such creditors up the list of priorities? Will all 20 agree on which lawyer to hire and how much they should be paid to represent them to the bankruptcy court? Good luck with those. On top of that who are they going to sue, the bankruptcy court and/or its trustee (see below)?

You do not know the process. It won't be LeBaron Bonney responding to the claims. There is no longer any LeBaron Bonney. The responses to claims will come from the bankruptcy court and its appointed trustee.

Last edited by DavidG; 03-28-2019 at 10:48 AM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #25
Merc Cruzer

What about processing the claims through their insurance carrier for their fiduciary duty, under their liability coverage? The policy would still cover claims when the policy was in force.This coming from a prior insurance adjuster for over 45 years, before I retired? It wouldn't have been the first claim from a bankrupt company that showed up on my desk, over the years. Just a thought. You can always make an attorney richer later.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 03-28-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:44 PM   #26
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
We should remember that this thread started by specifically referring to LeBaron-Bonney, which is a corporation. It does not, or was my opinion intended to, refer to individuals, personal service companies, and other non-corporate entities.

Point taken -Karl
Old 03-29-2019, 12:52 AM   #27
Tinker

I'd say good luck. I'm guessing there are vendors waiting 1st in line that may have lost more.

It sucks all around and not a total reflection of the owners only.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:23 AM   #28
flatheadmurre

The money loss is one thing...but the once most respected supplier may be lost forever.
Best thing that can happen is if someone can pick up the pieces and patch it togetter...takes a pile of money...and from a economic point of view this buisness isnīt fast money.
Doing that and trying to make good to the private customers that made a downpayment would be the dream scenario...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote