Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
tamagrouchy

Default Rebodied car titling question

Hello fellow Ford Barners. I have a fordoor with completely rotted wood. I do have an original title for it, its titled as a 4 door. I am contemplating re-bodying it as either a huckster or Model A station wagon replica. My question is that the huckster is a 2 door vehicle so would I have to get the title changed when I register it? I figured that making it a station wagon replica would keep it as a 4 door so I would less likely have the hassle. I live in the peoples republic of Illinois and after seeing all the discussions of late dealing with title problems people had, I would rather see if anyone had any experience with this? I really don't want to build a nice car only to go through the bureaucratic he!! of re-titling it and proving my car is really mine. I would just call the secretary of state office, but I know many people who have experienced the run around first hand and wanted to go in with any bit of knowledge on how to pursue this before making that initial (and possible incorrect) contact.
Thanks Ford barn!
Harry K
Fox Valley Illinois
webmaster www.foxvalleymarc.com
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Louis

Default Re: Rebodied car titling question

Regester it as the title says, a four door. then do what you want.
im sure the state of Illinois has more things to do then go around and count doors on model "A" 's .
when you go to regester it, "Remember" name, rank, and serial #. only .
less said the better.
"But" if your looking for "pain", tell them what you plan is .
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
MikeK

Harry, Talk to Jordon Beller. He had lawyers in tow last year when Illinois decided, years after-the-fact, to hold a hearing and revoke the titles on about a dozen of his Illinois registered and titled antique cars.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
tamagrouchy

That's what I am afraid of. Seems this state is grabbing at any possible revenue source or justification for the bloated state payrolls........
Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Aerocraft

Harry: There has been a lot of talk about the Illinois DMV people and I feel, having recent experience with buying three old cars, that a lot of the rumors are just that. The real problem is with the "revenue" folks and I suggest that what you really need to be concerned about is making sure that you have a bill of sale (hopefully for under $15K) , that the signatures and dates on the bill of sale and the title match, and the VIN number on the car matches the title. Submit a copy of the bill of sale with the title. If you don't have a bill of sale it would be wise to get a certified appraisal.

I do not believe that the number of doors is an issue. I once submitted a title with "Fordor" as the body style and it came to me as "Sedan". The DMV computers couldn't handle Fordor.

If I can help in any way, call or email. Bruce Winslow has my numbers. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
tamagrouchy

Thanks All! Harry K
Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

In NJ, last time I actually went to the DMV and filled out paper several years ago there was actually a box on the registration renewal (or maybe it was titling) form for re-bodying changes.
This was obviously a bit of a throwback, but it means that the state has a procedure and that it likely still does even if that box is no longer on the main forms. Make an inquiry, this may turn out to be simple. Make the inquiry theoretical, though, and don't have your paperwork or serial with you, because the wrong clerk could decide to stamp things as invalid when he hears car is altered...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Sparky

I claimed mine had two doors, ha ha. No proof required.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
MAG

If you can, register it as a "sedan". Number of doors are not in question.
MAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
glenn33

I bought a '31 in Wisconsin with a good title and had it transfered to my name as soon as I got it home. Got the new title and registered it before I ever started working on it. Everything went fine. Several of my friends have had problems because they waited until the work was done. The state of Illinois is looking for revenue and wants to tax everything they can. When you make major modifications they want to register the car as the year it was completed and tax accordingly, plus sales tax on anything that was purchased and installed on the car. As stated in an earlier post, give them the least amount of information as possible.

glenn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

And make a recon run to ask questions, leaving your paperwork and serial number at home so no one can suddenly stamp your title with some form of reject-assembled-altered designation leading to endless trouble. Take in the paper only after identifying someone who seems to have an answer about how to complete everything. In some states, a questioble title can be slapped with trouble designations in the computer system making all future work with it troublesome, expensive, or even impossible.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote