Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
Grandpa's Huckster

Default Radiator advice

I live in Florida and have had issues with my car running hot at speed. I consistently run at or over 190 degrees and am confident that the timing is not an issue. I have a very small leak at the base of the inlet tube on my radiator and wonder if this is a indication of the inside of my cooling system. I have vinegar flushed it and know it was professionally flushed before I purchased the car. I have considered biting the bullet and replacing it with a new one, but have a few options. Both are marketed as heavy duty but one has 8 fins per inch at a hundred dollars cheaper than the one that has 10 fins per inch. Any advice would be appreciated.
Grandpa's Huckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Radiator advice

The flushing you said the radiator was given may not have removed all of the blockages. Only removing the tanks and clearing the tubes can do that with certainty. That small leak would be fixed at the same time. I think that is what I would do.
If it comes to replacing it, the more tubes and more fins, the better. I believe that the price has long been forgotten when a quality component is still in use long after the cheapo one has quit. JMHO
Old 01-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
BillCNC

Anyone know what it cost to have a Model A radiators tubes rodded?

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
pooch

I have rodded out 2 myself recently.

Waste of time .

They ended up with a dozen leaks.

I reckon the tubes were so rusty and gunked up that the rodding chipped it away and caused holes.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
WHN

My recommendation if your car is running hot.

Top of the line radiator, correct fan, water pump at 100% (we use dripless pump), engine side pans. I also run with only water. Car not used in winter.

I have never had a Model A overheat. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
1crosscut

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
While 190 degrees is on the upper side it is not what I would consider "over heating"
How are you measuring the temperature?
I find that the most accurate way to do so is by using a meat thermometer placed directly into the coolant by way of removing the radiator cap.
Are you loosing coolant and having to refill it often? Model A's don't usually like having the radiator filled to the top. It will push out coolant until it finds a level that it likes. If this is happening do not put any coolant back into it as long as there is enough coolant in the radiator to keep the tubes covered. Monitor the water temperature with the meat thermometer often as the water level adjusts itself.
For your small leak at the base of the inlet neck a simple (but not correct) fix would be to cut a small piece of cotton cloth just slightly bigger than the area that leaks and saturate it with silicone caulk. Clean the area well before applying the saturated patch and the odds are it will last for many years.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
Grandpa's Huckster

I have a temp guage. It has gotten higher than 190, but never boiled over. I never have to add much water after it "finds its level." I have checked coolant with a thermometer and my guage seems to be well calibrated. The miniscule leak isn't as concerning as running too hot, to me.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
kenparker

In my book 190 degrees is too hot to be running consistantly. 190 has very little margin when running in hot climates like Texas and Florida. Running along on flat country at 190 then start up a hill and suddenly it is at 212. Once they start to boil it is difficult to get that temp back down.

Had the same problen on the engine in Woodycab. Constantly at 190 or even 200 then would boil. Radiatorvinagar flushed, Simple green flushed, rodded, nothing helped. Finally bit the bullet and bought a 8 fins per inch Snyder HD radiator. Problem solves. She now runs at a consistant 150 or 160 even tin hte summmer.

The problem turned out to be an old worn out but still nice looking radiator. Over the years the constant vibrations shake the fins loose from the tubes. Fins are not soldered to the tubes. It is just a snug press fit. When that happens the heat will not disassapate (sp). finish later , gotta answeer the phone. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #9
kenparker

OK guys, I am back. Phone call over.

Moral to my story above is it is time to buy a new radiator. Don Snyders 8 fin per inch HD radiator solved my problem
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #10
steve s

Get real. When your modern car is pushing 90 years of age, would you even dream of demanding another few years of service from its radiator?! It's time--just replace it.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #11
TinCup

Radiator,,Radiator,,Radiator.. Just cause it looks good doesn't mean it is. I can have fins separated from the tubes. It can be clogged or it can just be a crap radiator. Call Gery at Bergs Radiators and get a quality 8-10 fin radiator and be done. Yes it will be expensive but you can put all of this behind you and start enjoying your car.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #12
31a

I agree replace the radiator! Due the 10 fins in my opinion I have always used Brassworks with no issues Bob
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #13
Al 29Tudor

Have any of you gents used aluminum radiators and if so what do you think?
Al
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #14
katy

Are you running a thermostat? If so, what temperature?
Is the water pump impeller all there ? Or has it worn away to not enough to pump the coolant properly?
What are you running for coolant? Water? Water/anti-freeze mix?
Old 01-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #15
Grandpa's Huckster

No thermostat. I run 50/50 and water wetter. The impeller is great. I have a new water pump.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #16
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I purchased the "4 row radiator" from Bert's in Denver. It is so efficient you will need to run a thermostat in order for your engine to maintain operating temp. I highly recommend this radiator. It is priced at $650 which is in line with other manufacturers. If the cooling system in your block is clean your engine will not over heat with this radiator..
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #17
barkleydave

Same scenario... Sold my nice looking radiator at Hershey... bought a Berg radiator which is a tank.. no more issues. Sold my old one to a fellow in Canada so probably doing fine in the far north. Bergs are EXPENSIVE but fix it and be done with it.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #18
SSsssteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al 29Tudor View Post
Have any of you gents used aluminum radiators and if so what do you think?
Al
I have seen of disappointment with aluminum radiators. Biggest problem with them is that I haven't seen one yet to fits properly. Lyle Jacobson bought one and in 4 years time it had spring a dozen leaks. Apparently his water was too harsh on the aluminum. He bought a new copper cored radiator and he has been smiling every since.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #19
JJASON

I bought a 4 core radiator for my 28 pk. Money well spent,,runs cool All the time
JJASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #20
Al 29Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
I have seen of disappointment with aluminum radiators. Biggest problem with them is that I haven't seen one yet to fits properly. Lyle Jacobson bought one and in 4 years time it had spring a dozen leaks. Apparently his water was too harsh on the aluminum. He bought a new copper cored radiator and he has been smiling every since.
Thanks Lyle. I've heard so little about aluminum I appreciate your comment.
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote