Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
tyler

Default Knocking

I took a little break from working on my A as I was getting discouraged with all the issues I was having with it. Now I'm back at it and hopefully will be able to drive it to a show this weekend.

What I've had done so far; honed out the cylinders, new rods, rings and pistons. Took up main bearings and complete valve job. Rebuilt distributor, new motor mounts, wiring harness and new Snyder 5.5 head. New "leakless" waterpump.

The car over-heats as I've explained before on here, looks like the old radiator just isn't up to the task of handeling the increased heat of the tighter engine. The radiator did seem to work o.k. with the engine before we rebuilt it but even after having it cleaned out at a shop it still won't cool. I'm waiting on a new radiator.

My problem right now is that the engine knocks with very little advancment of the spark. I think my timing is just a little advanced to start with but I hand crank it and it doesn't kick back on me so it can't be real far off. Driving down the road at 30 or so if I advance more than a third down on the lever I get knocking. The car surges ahead as though it wants to be advanced that much but the knocking starts so I back it off. Seems like I'm not able to take advantage of my 5.5 head. I've tried 93 octane with no improvement.

Is this something that will get better as the engine breaks in or what should I do? I'm thinking about removing the 5.5 head and putting the old standard head back on, at least until the engine is broken in more. I also wonder if it would help with my cooling issue. For some reason, I'm also suspect of my new water pump and wonder if a thermostat would help anything.

Just kind of thinking out loud here, guys. Any and all opinions welcome.

Tyler
tyler is offline   Reply With Quote