Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #1
oldmotorsguy

Default Wood front wheel fellows on a 1919 Ford?

I noticed a 1919 Ford Model T on eBay that disclosed his car had wood fellows on his front wheels, while the back wheels had demountable rims.

I, too, have a 1919 Ford Touring I just bought, and it has the same thing: was this a common manufacturing practice in 1919, or just a coincidence? What is the correct wheel spec for 1919?
oldmotorsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
Royce P

Default Re: Wood front wheel fellows on a 1919 Ford?

This (wood felloe wheels) is normal for any Model T with non - demountable wheels from 1909 - 1926. The style of the wood felloe varied over the years, as did the spoke design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmotorsguy View Post
I noticed a 1919 Ford Model T on eBay that disclosed his car had wood fellows on his front wheels, while the back wheels had demountable rims.

I, too, have a 1919 Ford Touring I just bought, and it has the same thing: was this a common manufacturing practice in 1919, or just a coincidence? What is the correct wheel spec for 1919?
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #3
rotorwrench

I believe that 1919 was the year that the demountable type wheels became available but that doesn't mean that they all had them. A lot has happened since then. Ford likely had them as optional for some time. A person can find some front wheels (or rear) to match up what you have. They were generally 30X3 on the front and 30X3.5 on the back.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:30 AM   #4
redmodelt

You can also find nondemountable wheels with on piece metal rim/felloe from the 1920s era. Not a manufature thing as the car would have ether all nondemountable or demountable wheel/rims not a mixture.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #5
Royce P

Demountable wheels were first available in 1919 if your Model T had generator, battery and starter. Regular Model T's without the fancy electrical gizmos came with non - demountable wheels as always.

This continued until 1926 - you had to pay extra to get demountable wheels. In 1927 Ford made the electrical equipment standard on Model T's, but TT trucks could still be purchased either way.

The Ford supplied demountable wheels had steel felloes, so they are not relevant to the current discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I believe that 1919 was the year that the demountable type wheels became available but that doesn't mean that they all had them. A lot has happened since then. Ford likely had them as optional for some time. A person can find some front wheels (or rear) to match up what you have. They were generally 30X3 on the front and 30X3.5 on the back.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote