Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
VeryTangled

Default June 7-11 V-8 Club, Chantilly VA National Meet

Hi Everyone, I hadn't seen much mention of it so I thought I'd start a little discussion.

The V-8 Club has an Eastern National Meet scheduled in Chantilly Virginia this summer. Dates are Wednesday June 7th through Sunday June 11th 2017. The hosting Regional Group is RG 96, the Northern Virginia Regional Group. Thanks fellas for stepping up and doing all that work! (Full disclosure, I joined this RG last summer.)

I'm going, fer sure!

Meet information here: http://enm2017.cornerstonereg.com/Home/About

RG Website here: http://www.nvrg.org/

I see there's also a tour leaving from Asheville NC, on the 3rd, ending in Waynesboro on the 6th, optionally going on to Chantilly for the start of the meet. Info on that here: http://www.earlyfordv8.org/images/ev...o%20hotels.pdf

Anyone else thinking of starting a tour from the northeast or western areas?

Let's start the chatter...

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
J Witt

Default Re: June 7-11 V-8 Club, Chantilly VA National Meet

Chantilly VA is where the Udvar-Hazy center of the National Air and Space Museum is located. I've been to the NASM on the mall in DC, but never to Udvar-Hazy center. It is where the restoration of aircraft takes place, plus many exhibits that are not at the DC location. https://airandspace.si.edu/udvar-hazy-center

I going to try to make this tour, plus an extra day or two to spend at the UH museum.

John
Old 01-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
glennsanders

Can't wait should be a blast.Seeing all the beautiful Fords and getting together with all are ford friends priceless.
glennsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. John, Last time I was at Udvar-Hazy one of my favorite exhibits featured about fifty or more airplane engines. It seemed like there was a 100 yard line of them around the edge of the building. This was over a decade ago. I love aviation and this is one of the world's premium museums.

I am so old I recall seeing several of their items at the Smithsonian's 'Garber Facility' which was very close to historic College Park Airport near the University of Maryland. They had the Enloa Gay disassembled and stored in more than one building during one of my visits.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
fordv8j

We have lost contact with Dorothy Morrison, after Charlie passed,,we were good friends,,,thanks James R Parsons WVa
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
pebo va

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If you love history don't miss the opportunity to sign up for the tour of Oak Hill mansion. It is the home of James Monroe and has a fabulous history over the last 200 years. It is privately owned and is not open to the public but the owners have opened it up for the 2017 ENM in Chantilly VA. The tour is limited to the first 50 so register early!
pebo va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
Seth Swoboda

Jeff, I'd like to come out to Chantilly and have been discussing it with my father in law. I need to get a hold of you about the offer you threw out to me last August. If we attend we may not bring a car out this time.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Seth, hoping you guys can make the 2017 EFV-8 C/A ENM in Chantilly, Va. Should be a good one!! I'm all registered and looking forward to meeting up with our V8ing friends and seeing their old Fords!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-15-2017 at 11:24 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:54 PM   #9
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
If we attend we may not bring a car out this time.
I'm planning on having two cars at the meet, like at Gettysburg. Also one trailer for, well, we won't go there... I can only drive one at a time, so Seth, I'd be delighted for you and your crew to use one of mine during the meet. You might even think of flying in because Dulles is very close to the host hotel.

On a related note, I attended a RG 96, Northern Virginia, club meeting last night. They're doing a great job at getting the meet organized from what I could tell. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have a good time no matter what happens!

Like any of these events, the organizers could breathe a little easier if they had just a few more registrations and hotel guests, so if any of you reading are thinking of attending in any way, you should do it. Even a drive through the parking lot is like attending most car shows.

Last edited by VeryTangled; 02-15-2017 at 11:05 PM. Reason: added flying thingy
Old 02-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
Seth Swoboda

Jeff & John, My plan is to attend. Alex and I have kicked around the idea of flying into Dulles as well. I spoke with Glenn recently about possibly sharing a hotel room. It's been total chaos around my house this winter with the arrival of baby Olive and our daughter Ainsley keeping us busy. I will talk with my father in law, Alex and the wife to get permission to attend soon. The meet is quickly approaching and the weather here has been so mild, I'm going to get one of the cars out this weekend to stretch her legs.

Seth
Old 02-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

As a reminder for those folks who prefer some weekend activities during these meets, thought I would mention that the Concourse Judging/Display will be held on Friday, June 9th. Also, later that afternoon there will be a tour to the Cross Farm for a BBQ and a demonstration of the families working antique saw mill. I really enjoyed attending this during the 2007 ENM held in Fairfax, VA.

Then on Saturday, June 10th, there will two good tours to consider during the day, and the awards banquet that evening.

If you decide to stay in the area on Sunday, there are plenty of great family oriented activities/attractions to consider doing.

Get signed up folks, June will be here before we know it!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 04-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Jeff & John, My plan is to attend. Alex and I have kicked around the idea of flying into Dulles as well. I spoke with Glenn recently about possibly sharing a hotel room. It's been total chaos around my house this winter with the arrival of baby Olive and our daughter Ainsley keeping us busy. I will talk with my father in law, Alex and the wife to get permission to attend soon. The meet is quickly approaching and the weather here has been so mild, I'm going to get one of the cars out this weekend to stretch her legs.

Seth
Seth, I'm hearing from one of my top sources, back East here in the Mid Atlantic Area, that you and Alex are all signed up and ready to roll. That's good news!

Just a little over two months to go folks, and we'll be heading to Chantilly, Va for the Early Ford V-8 Clubs Eastern National Meet. If you want to have a good time, and see plenty of nice Early Fords, you better get signed up pretty soon .

Old 04-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #13
John R

As John says: "If you want to have a good time, and see plenty of nice Early Fords, you better get signed up pretty soon." The cutoff date for regular registration is May 1st. After that date the fee goes from $85 to $95.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #14
Cecil/WV

I see there's also a tour leaving from Asheville NC, on the 3rd, ending in Waynesboro on the 6th, optionally going on to Chantilly for the start of the meet. Info on that here: http://www.earlyfordv8.org/images/ev...o%20hotels.pdf

Jeff, This tour has been canceled!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #15
a_lohmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Seth, I'm hearing from one of my top sources, back East here in the Mid Atlantic Area, that you and Alex are all signed up and ready to roll. That's good news!

Just a little over two months to go folks, and we'll be heading to Chantilly, Va for the Early Ford V-8 Clubs Eastern National Meet. If you want to have a good time, and see plenty of nice Early Fords, you better get signed up pretty soon .
John,

What Seth really meant to say is that he needed to obtain permission from his wife to attend the meet. Surely he wasn't thinking that I'd miss the company of such a fun group of guys and gals.

See you in June!

-Alex
a_lohmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

"John,
What Seth really meant to say is that he needed to obtain permission from his wife to attend the meet. Surely he wasn't thinking that I'd miss the company of such a fun group of guys and gals.
See you in June!
-Alex"

LOL Alex. Looking forward to seeing you guys at Chantilly

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-20-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #17
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
"John,
See you in June!
-Alex"

LOL Alex. Looking forward to seeing you guys at Chantilly
Alex really likes to bust my chops! We're looking forward to some windshield time on the cruises with you guys.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #18
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

There was two tours that day. WE sign up for the Smithstonian tour. Sorry that we can't go on both tours. Always looking forward going to the National meet. That the only time I get to see Cecil?
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #19
Seth Swoboda

The national meets are great for touring and sight seeing. The problem, if you can really call it a problem, is that there is so much to see and do packed into a very short time frame. I find myself having to make a tough decision between activities when they conflict. There just isn't enough of me to go around. Of course my wife would say I'm difficult enough as it is, why the need for more?
Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #20
a_lohmann

Agreed. As far as I know we'll be arriving the morning of the 7th and leaving either Saturday night before or after the awards banquet or possibly early Sunday morning. Well see what times the big birds fly into Dulles. Look forward to seeing everyone!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
a_lohmann is offline   Reply With Quote