Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2015, 11:33 PM   #21
dubnutty

Default Re: New member

Well I got my Les Andrews books a couple of weeks ago and started messing around with the car. The motor is stuck so I've been soaking it with Kroil, Marvel Mystery Oil, and PB blaster. Would not budge so took down oil pan. Boy! What a stinky mess was in there! Water first came out of drain hole after poking my finger in there then what looked like oil. Oil pan was filled with sludge and water. That was about two weeks ago and now took off oil pump today. This is what screen looks like. I also looked at what's holding motor from turning. It's a coat of rust on all cylinder bores. Haven't figured out how I'm gonna clean that out so I stopped and disassembled the oil pump. Cleaned it up and added more parts to my list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

ouch! water in the pan. New pistons next size up at best.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:58 AM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

I would remove the crankshaft, and be sure to mark the location and direction of each of the main and rod caps. Then get a round piece of wood or metal plate as close to 3 7/8" diameter as possible to lay on top of the piston. Then after days of soaking, tap each piston down at least 1/2". Then you can cut the top ridge with a ridge cutter, then hone out the rust above the piston. Now you can clean and lube the bore and push the piston out the top of the bore. You'll probably find most or all of the rings stuck in the pistons. Look at the condition of the cylinders and pistons to determine if the pistons can be saved and the cylinder used without boring. Most likely you will have to buy the next oversize pistons and bore to the next oversize. If so, then there is no use to waste time removing the stuck rings in the pistons.

Since you had water in the oil be sure to check the block carefully for cracks. Also check the dipper tray and oil pan for pin holes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #24
Slik

Dubnutty,
Welcome ! First and foremost - have patience. I just, and continue to, go throw a situation similar to yours. Although I consider myself lucky since my 29 Woody was stored inside for 30 years. I brought it home last August and only two weeks ago finally was able to get it to start !
Let me tell you - after weeks of trying to get it to run with no luck that one day when you go out there and hit the starter and it catches and starts - well..... it was worth the months of frustration and aggravation. You have a very unique item there and I'm sure it will bring you much happiness (and a bit of aggravation
This forum will become an invaluable tool and you will find a wealth of information here (familiarize yourself the with "search" features). There are some real characters here but you'll find that most are more then will to assist.
Good Luck and have fun.
Slik is offline   Reply With Quote