Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
Barry in St.Paul

Default how to test a condenser?

how do you test a condenser to see if it is any good? I have a few laying around that I have no idea if they are any good or not. Had a heater manifold on the car years ago, and we were (or so I recall) blowing condensers out, or so we thought. So had several on hand, but not sure which are 'good' and which might have been the suspect ones. I'm going to go back to the 'original' distributor set-up from my 'modern' rebuild, and see if I notice any difference. Don't have the heater manifold anymore, so not concerned about the condensor any more. And I HATE trying to adjust those modern points! The two halves don't seem to be as 'square' to each other as the original points, either.
Barry in St.Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Richard in NC

Default Re: how to test a condenser?

I can tell you how we used to test a condenser when I worked in garages. Charge one up by putting it across the high tension on an AC spark plug cleaner/tester and then set it vertical on the workbench, pigtail up in the air. Someone will test it for you shortly.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Dave in MN

Default Tom Wessenberg could help here!

Barry,
Tom Wessenberg has the procedure down and has the test device to do so. If we ask him to post some photos..I think he would do so.

TOM...How about it?

Good day!
Dave in MN
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
V4F

buy a new one .............. steve
Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Kurt in NJ

When I got my car (1969) there was about 20 condensers under the seat, I first checked them with my mulitmeter for shorts, and some baisic operation---the needle on my meter moved, then moved again when i reversed connections --threw out a few that did nothing, then i picked the nicest looking one and put it in --if the car started i ran it ---usually soon after the car would loose power, pop backfire ---then i would change to the next one.

I got very good at changing condensers, and knowing their problems.

Even the new condensers didn't seem to last very long for me.

Then I bought the A&L "burn out proof" condenser, it is still working 20 years later, and I do have 1 spare now ---somewhere under the seat.

I am still using the "original" points.

Adjusting "modern" style points most always includes checking/aligning the point contact surfaces first --even with good quality old stock points.

I have a dist machine that has a condenser checker, but it is not perfect at predicting that a condenser is good enough to work perfectly in a car, it doesn't have a heater to have the condenser at operating temp.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Barry in St.Paul

thanks. (I like the bench-top test; just like how Dad used to have us test the electric fence on the farm :-).
I did order a new 'short-proof' condensor from Snyder's today, along with the points, upper-shaft, etc.... Was just wondering of any of these old ones would be any good as a spare, or if I should chuck 'em.
thanks again
Barry
Barry in St.Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
RonC

Put them in the "in case you break down" box and buy fresh new burn proof ones to use
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
SteveM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in NC View Post
Charge one up by putting it across the high tension on an AC spark plug cleaner/tester and then set it vertical on the workbench, pigtail up in the air. Someone will test it for you shortly.
We used to "test" by charging one up and tossing it to someone while saying "Catch".

Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry in St.Paul View Post
thanks. (I like the bench-top test; just like how Dad used to have us test the electric fence on the farm :-).
I did order a new 'short-proof' condensor from Snyder's today, along with the points, upper-shaft, etc.... Was just wondering of any of these old ones would be any good as a spare, or if I should chuck 'em.
thanks again
Barry
chuck 'em my way Barry. I make up spare dist for guys with less than 'perfect' parts, but fully operational. Tom or I can test the condensers for you.

http://tcmafc.org/
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
Russ/40

Along the line of the bench test Richard mentioned. When I was a little kid, my Dad used to do that with the condensors he had laying around. he was a TV/Radio repair man and he got his kicks doing that to me. Made me real cautious around his stuff.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote