Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #21
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: No not urine just piss poor gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I've heard of soil microbes that destroy oil in the soil??? Are they called OIL WORMS?
Chief had an oil dumping area & in later years, he grew a garden there, & it flourished!!!
A friend grows veggies in pots, using shredded paper, triple 16 fertilizer & manure, for soil.
Bill W.
Isn't it funny, how something that was made by nature and came out of the ground, will be 'cleaned' again by nature? If you give it a chance? Without interruptions by man? Sunlight does a number on oil bases, example look at a blacktop road after a couple of years. It goes from black to gray. Why? Because the sun is bleaching out the oil in the blacktop.

EPA doesn't want people to think about these things. They are too busy creating a boogey man to worry the masses and protect their phoney baloney Gov-mint jobs.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:18 PM   #22
burner31

I never use ethanol, pure gas only, I'm lucky my State still has it,
Any old gas I end up with I use to start my burn piles, or use to clean up 600W when I spill it on the floor.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #23
holdover

My horror story with ethanol gas concerns my 65 Mustang FB that I am restoring. Been working on it for years and in 2009 had it all done except for paint, other projects came along and I placed it on one of my 4 post lifts with a hot rod parked under it. This summer I sold my '67 mustang and with floor space open I decided to finish my '65. Been sitting for 6 years it had 1/4 tank of gas. before I started the car I smelled the gas, didn't smell too good. The new gas tank I put in in 2009 had a drain so out came the gas, it was in bad shape, pulled the filler neck off and looked in the tank which was rusty. Pulled the tank and the fuel gauge which was rusted almost in two, the brass float was destroyed. The gas had Stabul put in it when placed on the lift but 6 years must have been too long with the crap that they sell for gas, new tank, and this time a SS gauge and 140.00 lighter in the pocket and I'm good to go. I only use non-ethanol gas in my classic/antique cars and small engines but in 2009 it was not available here in VA. Next time for long term storage all the gas will come out, and the engine will be run until it dies from lack of gas. As to the old gas, I live on a farm and it works great to start brush piles on fire, but as said, be careful it is still gas! Your mileage may vary...
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #24
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i wouldnt put the old crap in my modern car and would not recommend anyone else to do it either...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
i wouldnt put the old crap in my modern car and would not recommend anyone else to do it either...
I agree. If it isn't too old or bad I might try a little mixed with good gas in my lawn mower. If it causes problems at least I'm still at home, and not on the side of the road somewhere.

I also use it to clean parts, then start fires in my outdoor fire pit after it's too dirty.
I try to keep the gas off my skin as I clean parts, because it's bad stuff, unlike the gas of the 60's.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #26
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I agree. If it isn't too old or bad I might try a little mixed with good gas in my lawn mower. If it causes problems at least I'm still at home, and not on the side of the road somewhere.

I also use it to clean parts, then start fires in my outdoor fire pit after it's too dirty.
I try to keep the gas off my skin as I clean parts, because it's bad stuff, unlike the gas of the 60's.
I do this with it also. I've been using old gas in modern cars for years with no issues. I'm not talking filling it up though, just a gallon or so on a 12 gallon fill up. I've never had an issue. Gas is expensive and I'm cheap.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #27
Jeff/Illinois

holdover- I'm told StaBil has a shelf life too.

Boat guys tell me Startron is the best or fill up w/ aviation gas in the fall before storage. Sunoco Racing Gas good to use too.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #28
jimvette59

We have the same problem with our boats. I just brought 30 gallons to the town dump so they can dispose of it. Ethanol absorbs water and turns it into a thick substance that settles to the bottom and screws up every thing.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #29
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
We have the same problem with our boats. I just brought 30 gallons to the town dump so they can dispose of it. Ethanol absorbs water and turns it into a thick substance that settles to the bottom and screws up every thing.
correct... that stale crap added to a full tank of gas goes to the bottom of the tank...
its great for business,, electric fuel pumps, injectors etc etc
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #30
BILL WILLIAMSON

SAD THING, at a show, saw a high points car struggling to start, when it finally started, it REAKED with the smell of OLD VARNISHED UP FUEL!!
If you ever worked in a Wrecking Yard, you KNOW that SMELL---It takes 3 days to get that smell off your hands!
Whether you're a High Points owner or a regular Model A guy, we can ALL learn from each other.
Bill W.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #31
Greg Jones

The basic problem with ethanol is that it is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water. Generally, water in a carb or internal combustion chamber is not desirable. Modern ethanol-contaminated gasoline reduces your mileage by 10% and comprises usually 10% of the volume of a gallon of gas. Where's the logic? Oh, no logic, just make sure those agri-businesses that have those ethanol distilleries get a "satisfactory" profit.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #32
Willie Krash

I've had no problem. I fill both cars up and add Sea foam and MMO. In the spring start 'em both up and go. The AA is choke, two turns and fire.
The T is persnickety but it fires.
Lucky I guess.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote