Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
kwisor

Default fitting running boards & fenders

hello
i am working on fitting the running boards and fenders on my 1930 tudor
do you start at the running boards and work foward or start at frt and work back to running boards
thank you
kevin
1930 model a tudor
1923 model t roadster p/u
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Re: fitting running boards & fenders

start at the front fender and go back...seems to always be the best for myself. "Fit" it all good before you paint of course in case you need any changes in holes or such.. Good luck
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
kwisor

thanks mark that is why i am fitting them
kevin
Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Kevin in NJ

You start with getting the running board brackets properly lined up and getting the headlamp bar fitting to the fender braces.

Then you line up the front fenders on the frame to fit the to the edge of the frame (for 30-31 not sure how this works on 28-29). You make fenders fit to running boards and be even and not drooping at the front. Then you put the splash aprons on and complicate things a bit till you figure out the combination.

I have not wrote up the running board fitting. Lets see if you can follow along.
The brackets are sort of self aligning. You know the 4 holes on each side must be square and distanced properly to fit the holes on the running boards. You know the top of the running boards must be level and inline from side to side. That is if you take a long straight edge it will lay flat across both tops. A bit more to understand is the brackets will be in a straight line. That is a long straight edge (they are cheap at your favorite hardware store) will line up with the centers of the holes. The top side will be in line and the top will be inline with the top of the frame (your frame is check square and straight?). That is you lay the straight edge on top the frame the distance will be the same from the top of the bracket to the bottom of the straight edge.

Easy right? If you work the brackets till you meet all the above conditions the running boards will just fall in place and be in the right position. The front edges of the running boards will also be inline and parallel. Moving the brackets is easy. I did it cold with a long metal bar and a pipe that fit over the running board.

Now keep in mind I spent a while till all this clicked in my head. I was trying all sorts of complicated measurements and all I really needed was a 6 ft straight edge and one evening.

Here is what I wrote about the rest.

Fitting front fenders

Hope this helps.

If you are confused ask me questions. I can sometimes confuse people, just be glad you do not work with me
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
kwisor

hello
started fitting up the running boards and fenders today everything seems to line up very easly. i am using the same fenders and running boars that came off of it that may be why. also i will be taking the lt fender off for don turly to put in a fender well becouse i have decided to move the spare to the lt frt i did get a oem mount and it is soaking in 50/50 mix of acetone and atf
kevin
1930 model a tudor
1923 model t roadster p/u