Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #21
34flathead

Default Re: dual carbs what jets you using here in cali

ok, i have the two extra 97s on now, and since if have the #42 and #43 witten down in two different pieces of paper, i will have to pull one off again to get the correct size jet for reference here.

but the very distinctive 20" fox tail my exhaust left on the ground when warming up is gone.

this second pair of 97s had the idle screws only open 1/2 trun, and so i closed them and opened them up two full truns as the starting point from the Stromberg tips guide.

i have closed them 1/4 trun and am going to close them another 1/4 trun because i have very light blue smoke blowing out at idle.

but would always accept any suggestions on this.

also had a friend with a pin set check the jet size and they are #45s.

thanks charely ny,
after spending i dont know how long trying to find a drill bit size for measurement, that i finale found info directing my to the pins, when i saw you post.
rich
34flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #22
ken ct
BANNED

Ive never seen anything in stromberg print that calls for 2 turns out. All lit. i have call for approx 5/8 of a turn. Real world is around 1 turn out. IMO your way too rich at idle with 1 1/2 to 2 setting. OMO.Take it for what its worth. ken ct. I would also use the shorter accel. pump rods on them [there are 2 diff sizes on these]
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #23
34flathead

thanks ken ct, i will have to check if the accelorator pump arms i have are too long, as for the info i got on the idle screws, it is on the Stromberg web site under tech support, here is a copy.

sorry i cant get the pic to copy, it shows the two screws on the base that get adjusted, i am new at working on any carb so i hope we are talking about the same screws,
rich

2) First, screw both screws in (clockwise) until
they just touch their seats. Then back them out
two turns each. Adjust the idle mixture screws
one at a time. Turn the first idle screw in slowly
(1/4 turn at a time) until the engine begins to lag
or run irregularly. Then turn the same screw out
slowly until the engine begins to roll or gallop,
then back in slightly to provide the smoothest
idle. Repeat this same procedure to adjust the
other screw. Re-adjust the first screw if required.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #24
34flathead

ok, so i checked the accelerator pump arms, and yea they were too long.
i took the arms off the first 97s, and noticed i did not have to raise the connecting arm so much to connect them.

thanks ken ct.

im going on a little run tomorrow, about 100 miles round trip, maybe more, but i am going to lean out the screws another 1/4 to see how it runs and then another 1/4 before i leave for home to see how it run, that should put it at one full turn from closed.
so far it the acceleration had gotten better, but again i am not a carb guy.
but i do have over 12000 miles on this work in progress pickup and i can feel the difference.
rich
Old 08-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #25
sturgis 39

I bought two 9 super 7 from Speedway Motors. i have changed the main jets. The engine does not seem to be running rich.
They are installed on a model a with a Riley two port head. I think the jets are the right size and the accelerator pump is set in the longest part of the arm. When i take off in low gear it misses and farts until i get up some speed. Speedway does not sell power valves for their 97's. Will others work or do i need something else?
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #26
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
I bought two 9 super 7 from Speedway Motors. i have changed the main jets. The engine does not seem to be running rich.
They are installed on a model a with a Riley two port head. I think the jets are the right size and the accelerator pump is set in the longest part of the arm. When i take off in low gear it misses and farts until i get up some speed. Speedway does not sell power valves for their 97's. Will others work or do i need something else?
In MO your way over carbed for a 4 banger. ken ct.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #27
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34flathead View Post
thanks ken ct, i will have to check if the accelorator pump arms i have are too long, as for the info i got on the idle screws, it is on the Stromberg web site under tech support, here is a copy.

sorry i cant get the pic to copy, it shows the two screws on the base that get adjusted, i am new at working on any carb so i hope we are talking about the same screws,
rich

2) First, screw both screws in (clockwise) until
they just touch their seats. Then back them out
two turns each. Adjust the idle mixture screws
one at a time. Turn the first idle screw in slowly
(1/4 turn at a time) until the engine begins to lag
or run irregularly. Then turn the same screw out
slowly until the engine begins to roll or gallop,
then back in slightly to provide the smoothest
idle. Repeat this same procedure to adjust the
other screw. Re-adjust the first screw if required.

Im talking real world running.Ive never had to richen up a strom more than 1 turn out. Not something out of a book. Ive been rebuilding strombergs for 25 yrs. 3/4 to 1 turn is all you need. Otherwise your running rich all the time.your just washing all the oil off the cyl. walls. Smell your oil. ken ct. good luck with your project.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #28
sturgis 39

Where is the power jet and what is the purpose of the power jet? What is the normal size or factory installed size of the power jet?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #29
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Where is the power jet and what is the purpose of the power jet? What is the normal size or factory installed size of the power jet?
Power valve is located under the accelerator pump normal size is # 65. When running a pair they are usually changed to #69 which has a smaller hole. Also jets are usually changed to .043 or so [smaller also] than normal .045. ken ct.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #30
sturgis 39

The power jet is used on 97's. The power valve is used on other carbs? I am trying to learn about carbs so all help is appreciated. The model "a" seems to be lean at launch. It run good at high speed especially when going up a 6% grade.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #31
sturgis 39

[QUOTE=sturgis 39;65465]The power jet is used on 97's. The power valve is used on other carbs? I am trying to learn about carbs so all help is appreciated. The model "a" seems to be lean at launch. It run good at high speed especially when going up a 6% grade.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #32
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
The power jet is used on 97's. The power valve is used on other carbs? I am trying to learn about carbs so all help is appreciated. The model "a" seems to be lean at launch. It run good at high speed especially when going up a 6% grade.
Every body i know in this business calls them PV. Sounds like you just threw these carbs on a "A" and expect it to run fantastic. Its not the case sorry to say it dosent work that way.Quite a bit of knowledge is needed and some special tools are needed,personally i think your way over your head with these carbs. You insist on running carbs which i told you were too big for an"A".You really need a pr of "81's" on there not 97's or 94's which are the same size.IMO you will never get 97's to run right on A. Were trying to help but your making it real hard. ken ct. kens ford carburetors.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #33
sturgis 39

I am sorry if I have upset you Ken. I will stop asking questions. I was trying to be level with my head or a little bit above it. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #34
sturgis 39

Ken

Do you have a rebuilt pair of 81's that I can purchase? I know i said no more questions.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #35
JM 35 Sedan

Sturgis, the Speedway 9 super 7 carbs got very very poor reviews when they first came out. I have never heard or read if Speedy Bill ever made all the necessary improvements. Maybe one of the Fordbarn carb gurus can fill us all in on how well they are doing today.
I'm planning to run two 81's on a basically stock '35 21 stud 85hp engine because I am certain that two 97's would be too much carburetion. However, if you decide to go this way be prepared for sticker shock if you need to purchase two 81's, unless you already have the cores and just need to rebuild them.

Quote:

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote