Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
quickchange

Thumbs down National Meets same date

Why would the two National clubs MARC & MAFCA hold their National meets on the same dates?? A large contingent from NZ ( members) planned to attend both ,now that can,t happen, This is stupid, I raised this at a board meeting years ago with MAFCA about regional meets clashing & was assured it would be addressed which I believe has happened, Now its National meets ,Same dates in June 2018, If a week apart then overseas members of which pay their dues could attend both ?Australia & New Zealand put theirs on on alternate years so as not too clash, Hello America this could be some of your international problems ???? Your thoughts please,
Old 08-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Re: National Meets same date

one of the issues as in Branson in 2018 was the time that it was available to book hotels and get a block of 400 rooms at one time, Being that it is a major tourist location things book up very very fast, There was 1 week and 1 week only that they were able to get the hotel and reserve 400 rooms, That might not seem like a major issue but it is and was. Hence we had no other choice but to book the hotel that week when it was available. Sorry for the issue this has caused you.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
Old 08-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Seth Swoboda

My though is that the Model A clubs should consolidate and become one club. You don't have two Early Ford V8 Clubs. I'm not a member of either Model A club anymore. I don't have a problem with either club, I just found the EFV8 club events to be a lot of fun so I focused on that one club. Since I'm working and have a family I don't have time for all of the events but someday hope to attend more of them.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
msmaron

Wink Re: National Meets same date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
My though is that the Model A clubs should consolidate and become one club.
That subject is dead and burried and has been hashed over as much as what type of oil to use in a model a ...LOL!!! won't happen, they done want it to happen, and don't ever see that happening.. they were at one time and that was a long time ago.. It is what it is!!! No reason to hash it over again... The meets conflict and it is too bad for many of us but it is what it is....sorry there is a tremendous amount to coordinate in national meet and none of us are getting any younger...
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 08-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
That subject is dead and burried and has been hashed over as much as what type of oil to use in a model a ...LOL!!! won't happen, they done want it to happen, and don't ever see that happening.. they were at one time and that was a long time ago.. It is what it is!!! No reason to hash it over again... The meets conflict and it is too bad for many of us but it is what it is....sorry there is a tremendous amount to coordinate in national meet and none of us are getting any younger...
BS. There is NOTHING that can't be changed.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
msmaron

Quote:
My though is that the Model A clubs should consolidate and become one club. You don't have two Early Ford V8 Clubs. I'm not a member of either Model A club anymore. I don't have a problem with either club, I just found the EFV8 club events to be a lot of fun so I focused on that one club. Since I'm working and have a family I don't have time for all of the events but someday hope to attend more of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
BS. There is NOTHING that can't be changed.
your missing the point....they don't want it changed!
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 08-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
quickchange

But they can talk too one another, no excuse , as for booking venues all must know their dates years in advance which allows the booking venues way in advance . , Someone cocked up & gave no thought to its members, Make sure it does not happen again , As MAFCA put their dates out early then we will go that way , Disappointing. hence the rave.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
But they can talk too one another, no excuse , as for booking venues all must know their dates years in advance which allows the booking venues way in advance . , Someone cocked up & gave no thought to its members, Make sure it does not happen again , As MAFCA put their dates out early then we will go that way , Disappointing. hence the rave.
Another issue is its getting harder to have clubs step up to host a meet, and then when they do the dates they want conflict.. I know its too bad it is this way in 2018.....
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 08-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #9
daveymc29

I was shocked to find they are the same time. There is no real reason other than short sighted planning, that I can think of. If these things were set up four to six years in advance this issue could be avoided, it seems to me. As far as one club, good luck with that one. Once in one is in power it is awfully tough to let go of that power. Also the older we get, it appears to me. the more we know what is good for the other guy. Maybe not us, but best for them thar whipper snappers.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I was shocked to find they are the same time. There is no real reason other than short sighted planning, that I can think of. If these things were set up four to six years in advance this issue could be avoided, it seems to me. As far as one club, good luck with that one. Once in one is in power it is awfully tough to let go of that power. Also the older we get, it appears to me. the more we know what is good for the other guy. Maybe not us, but best for them thar whipper snappers.
DAVE... good point but try to get a club to plan 6 years in advance...NOT A CHANCE AT ALL!!! that is one of the problems the clubs are getting older.. Branson only found a region 4 months ago to host....its easy to say but not easy to do......
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 08-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #11
Boston Bruce

Here's an idea...MARC should give up having a national meet every year and instead go to every other year. MAFCA could do even years and MARC odd years.

Of course, this idea would require that the two clubs talk to each other more often. Good luck with that.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:37 PM   #12
quickchange

Thanks for all the private messages of support on this, , MAYBE just MAYBE as Bruce has suggest the answer,? We do a national meet here every two years ,here , granted its smaller but a club puts its bid in 4YEARS in advance having done their home work 1st Not 6 months out , MAFCA had their dates out for very long time & MARC just didn't give a diddly squat .
Lets all talk & work together for the future of the hobby, & ensure meets don,t clash. End of story.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:39 AM   #13
larrys40

Quote:

Seth,
I'm probably going to get some blowback here but having been a member of each for 35 plus years both Marc, Mafca , and early V8 national including local groups I can say that the emphasis is totally on the judging at the v8 meets and the A nationals are a little more diverse, albeit different between them. Due to the difference in philosophy there will probably never be a combined A national but then I'm good with that as it gives me choices off events. MArc has realized that the touring group is a large percentage but still keeps the importance of fine point and correct 'restoration whereas mafcas events are more touring related typically and are a little more forgiving . To all of their credits I think the best touring thing they have all done is to do the Annual Tours . We have attended and have had some wonderful times.

Now for my slant on A vs V8 national . Having been to a number of nationals of both I can honestly say that the A meets a way more fun for touring and fun overall than the V8 meets . Both A clubs strive to include youth way more and the V8 virtually has nothing for the younger folks or family natured events.
Having just attended Gettysburg where I saw an ice 32 B Tudor there I complimented the attendee on his car. There are many of us for one reason or another or by choice we bring something else occasionally as opposed to nothing or not attending. Could be car is ib process ... etc .
I will never forget when I attended a grand national in Dearborn that my 48 coupe wasn't finished so I drive my 66 Tbird from St. Louis instead but parles it out in modern car parking which is what it was . I was asked rather impolitely if it had a flathead under the hood and i said no that I was to then get that "expletive" car out of here . Wow... what a welcome . You would never here that at a Model a meet. Just different folks . Having attended a number of V8 nationals around the country I usually Go planning to enjoy the sights of the areas and seminars. Their seminars and events etc are pretty self centered around judging and honestly I've said this several times and not meaning any disrespect, but I've never seen so many crabby old men at one time at some of the V8 meets. I've been a judge at both and at the branson V8 meet I remember they had 8 guys judging at the same thing for judging. I won't go into the favor and behavior of the deputy judge. No thanks. I was done with that. Now I'm 56 and had a 46 coupe at 17.. so you think the V8 would be glad to see someone younger involved ... but in my experience that's not the case. In my opinion they are going to need to at one point sell their car to someone possibly younger than them so you would think .....?

I still entertain going to a V8 national but honestly before I spend my money and time off I have to ask which ines more fun as it's my vacation!!!

I know I threw a lot out there but I really enjoy both marque cars and have done all the jobs at the local groups but honestly our A group locally and nationally is more active and event and touring minded. Whatever it's worth I'm good with the two A clubs being separate but do wish they would work together to coordinate their key events more, and I wish the V8 national would get their head out of the sand and be more family and cultivating to encouraging youth instead of discouraging . Who knows ... if they have a V8 meet where I might want to go I'm at give it a shot . I'm rolling the dice about a good time where I know the A gang is awesome all the time.

Larry Shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 08-10-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #14
TerryO

I am a member of MARC, MAFCA, MAFFI, AACA, SAAC, and MCA and I can appreciate all the clubs although they all serve a different purpose. I also feel that the Model A meets are more fun than the others and I try to choose a meet that may be closer or a location I would enjoy seeing. (no offense intended). I think the younger generation is welcome at all these and in Gettysburg I observed quite a several young folks as well as young families driving A's.

TerryO
Old 08-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

I agree wholeheartedly with TerryO, I too have been a member of MARC, MAFCA, Early Ford V-8 Club, AACA, and the MCA and have attended SAAC meets with friends.

Out of all of that, NO ONE compares to the friendliness of MARC and MAFCA folks there is NO comparison. Model A people are ten times friendlier and family oriented than the others I mentioned. The Model A Clubs are a LOT more fun to be with. Hands down.

SAAC and MCA--- talk about conceited people whoo-boy I bailed out of mingling with them years ago. It was ridiculous how they treated people it was a total turn off.

As Henry Ford famously told a reporter one time when asked 'why' he didn't play golf..... Henry replied "It's not the actual game of golf I dislike as much as it is the ostentatious people who play it."

THAT says it all on this subject
Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #16
denis4x4

Without casting aspersions, I'm curious to know if there is a line of communication between the clubs to consider issues like this. Another thing not mentioned is the timeline for setting dates for national meets. I'm been involved in similar event planning projects and projecting dates a minimum of three years out is par for the course. This gives all parties a chance to avoid conflicts.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning all...After reading all of the above, I wonder how many Model A lovers belong to both national clubs? I know I do. Is the overlap 5% or 25%? It also sounds like quite a few members like to go to both national meets. Ernie
Old 08-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #18
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Seth,
I'm probably going to get some blowback here but having been a member of each for 35 plus years both Marc, Mafca , and early V8 national including local groups I can say that the emphasis is totally on the judging at the v8 meets and the A nationals are a little more diverse, albeit different between them. Due to the difference in philosophy there will probably never be a combined A national but then I'm good with that as it gives me choices off events. MArc has realized that the touring group is a large percentage but still keeps the importance of fine point and correct 'restoration whereas mafcas events are more touring related typically and are a little more forgiving . To all of their credits I think the best touring thing they have all done is to do the Annual Tours . We have attended and have had some wonderful times.

Now for my slant on A vs V8 national . Having been to a number of nationals of both I can honestly say that the A meets a way more fun for touring and fun overall than the V8 meets . Both A clubs strive to include youth way more and the V8 virtually has nothing for the younger folks or family natured events.
Having just attended Gettysburg where I saw an ice 32 B Tudor there I complimented the attendee on his car. There are many of us for one reason or another or by choice we bring something else occasionally as opposed to nothing or not attending. Could be car is ib process ... etc .
I will never forget when I attended a grand national in Dearborn that my 48 coupe wasn't finished so I drive my 66 Tbird from St. Louis instead but parles it out in modern car parking which is what it was . I was asked rather impolitely if it had a flathead under the hood and i said no that I was to then get that "expletive" car out of here . Wow... what a welcome . You would never here that at a Model a meet. Just different folks . Having attended a number of V8 nationals around the country I usually Go planning to enjoy the sights of the areas and seminars. Their seminars and events etc are pretty self centered around judging and honestly I've said this several times and not meaning any disrespect, but I've never seen so many crabby old men at one time at some of the V8 meets. I've been a judge at both and at the branson V8 meet I remember they had 8 guys judging at the same thing for judging. I won't go into the favor and behavior of the deputy judge. No thanks. I was done with that. Now I'm 56 and had a 46 coupe at 17.. so you think the V8 would be glad to see someone younger involved ... but in my experience that's not the case. In my opinion they are going to need to at one point sell their car to someone possibly younger than them so you would think .....?

I still entertain going to a V8 national but honestly before I spend my money and time off I have to ask which ines more fun as it's my vacation!!!

I know I threw a lot out there but I really enjoy both marque cars and have done all the jobs at the local groups but honestly our A group locally and nationally is more active and event and touring minded. Whatever it's worth I'm good with the two A clubs being separate but do wish they would work together to coordinate their key events more, and I wish the V8 national would get their head out of the sand and be more family and cultivating to encouraging youth instead of discouraging . Who knows ... if they have a V8 meet where I might want to go I'm at give it a shot . I'm rolling the dice about a good time where I know the A gang is awesome all the time.

Larry Shepard
Larry,
I appreciate your posting. I have never been to a national Model A club meet. I too wish the EFV8 club would work at drawing in younger folks. As you know I'm 37 years old. I've had my Model A since I was 17. I'm an anomaly from that stand point and have always had an interest in both Model A's and V8's. I have attended four national V8 meets and I have always had a good time. When I bring a car I enter in the touring class. I have also made some really good friends in the V8 club in John Mason, Glenn Sanders and Jeff Horrocks, just to name a few. Over all I have found the V8 club guys to be very welcoming. There are always a few crab apples but they don't bother me.

I'd like to get some input in what the Model A clubs are doing to attract a younger and family oriented group. I like to drive the cars and I'm not hung up on just the concourse show. Working on these automobiles and driving them is what I enjoy the most. It sounds to me like the V8 club can learn from the Model A clubs. If I had the time I'd attend both and all of them. Someday I will.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Reminds me of the saying, "Don't worry about a thing, EVERYDAY'S a HOLIDAY"!
It's a proven fact, SOMEWHERE in the WORLD, every day IS a HOLIDAY!
Bill Happy
Old 08-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #20
dean from bozeman

For those considering hosting a national Model A meet consider that the Gettysburg Meet, that was as good as any that I have been to, was coordinated by a group of 6 people. It doesn't take a club of a hundred to run a meet. Yes, the group of six did have a team of volunteers but the point is that it can be done by a smaller club.

If more clubs would consider hosting an event then it wouldn't be a relatively last minute run to get available rooms, venues, etc.

As for 2018, the MAFCA meet in Reno is closer and I might be helping a friend get his car there. The MARC meet in Branson will be attended by more of my buddies in the hobby. I will miss out either way.

As for an eventual merger of the two clubs...I tire of the Pepsi-Coke, Chevy-Ford, MAFCA-MARC, Fine Point-Touring and other such dichotomies. The World MAFCA/MARC meets and the common judging standards committee are two ways in which the clubs work together. Perhaps in the future they will come together. Let's keep working together and resist growing apart.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #21
mhsprecher

We are lucky to have two clubs and two magazines. I enjoy them both.

I have been to two MARC meets and have enjoyed them both. That the Hub City group could put on a high quality meet like they did with 6 people is nothing short of amazing.

I would love to attend a MAFCA meet, but they generally are not convenient to me. I hope to go on the MARC tour next year in West Virginia. My general issue is time. I am still working, so I need to take vacation to participate. If the meet is too far away, I can't take the time off to drive my car. That is the case with Branson and I don't have a trailer to trailer one of my car, so I will have to fly or go modern. Oh, well.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #22
biggieou

Quote:
You do realize the membership is what makes up the clubs right? If the members would voice out enough to unite, it would happen. Instead, they will both die slow painful deaths.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
www.northernohiomodela.com
Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #23
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruce View Post
Here's an idea...MARC should give up having a national meet every year and instead go to every other year. MAFCA could do even years and MARC odd years.

Of course, this idea would require that the two clubs talk to each other more often. Good luck with that.
I would agree with Mr. Bruce...I never did understand why MARC holds a national meet every year...It should be as Boston says.

Pluck
Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #24
TerryO

Quote:
We are lucky to have two clubs and two magazines. I enjoy them both.

I have been to two MARC meets and have enjoyed them both. That the Hub City group could put on a high quality meet like they did with 6 people is nothing short of amazing.

I would love to attend a MAFCA meet, but they generally are not convenient to me. I hope to go on the MARC tour next year in West Virginia.
I am looking foward to a MAFCA meet on the eastern third of the country. That is one reason I like having 2 clubs. MAFCA meets are usually on the left coast and MARC on the right coast therefore most everyone is within a reasonable distance from one or the other.

TerryO
Old 08-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #25
TerryO

Quote:
SAAC and MCA--- talk about conceited people whoo-boy I bailed out of mingling with them years ago. It was ridiculous how they treated people it was a total turn off.
I wasn't trying to make anyone look bad only saying the Model A meets are more fun. The folks I have met at the MCA and SAAC meets have been friendly, and I have made a lot of friends there.

TerryO
Old 08-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #26
CarlG

As my signature line states, I belong to MAFCA, MARC & AACA. Because of our location, it is near unto impossible for me to participate in any of the "national" events.

But the conflicting events don't just apply to the nationals. We have quite a time scheduling local events so they don't conflict, but when it does, it does. Most of our Model A guys/gals (MAFCA affiliation) also belong to the AAMA (AACA affiliation). We had a major conflict in scheduling just a couple of weeks ago that really pissed off some of the AACA folks but didn't seem to bother the MAFCA folks at all.

As it turned out, both events were highly successful and well attended. Everybody is still smiling! :>)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 08-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Let's step back, Your fathers' side of the family has a family reunion. You mothers side has one planned on the same date. Is that poor planning on their part? They both have you in common.

Same here, they are two different clubs with the same Model A in common.

Would it be nice if your fathers' side and mothers' side had the reunion on different days? Yea.

One more thing to figure in to picking a date. I believe it's the local region/chapter that picks the exact date based on the availability of a venue that can accommodate the crowds.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:59 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruce View Post

"Beginning in 1995, MAFCA began Regional and
Divisional Meets in odd numbered years to encourage
more participation in showing vehicles and provide
judges in other geographical areas the opportunity to
judge according to the Guidelines."
Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #29
WTSHNN

I think this thread is funny.

Essentially the complaints are about having too many choices.

What if there was only one National Club and one National Meet; who would you blame when you were unable to attend because of extenuating circumstances?

-Tim
Old 08-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #30
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post

What if there was only one National Club and one National Meet; who would you blame when you were unable to attend because of extenuating circumstances?

-Tim
Just a thought here. The EFV8 club typically has an Eastern National, Central National and Western National meet each year. Not always all three but usually. Depends on regional groups in each area to organize and plan a meet. Every five years there is one Grand National meet. I think that gives most folks that want to an opportunity to attend a national meet. I find that all of these national meets Model A or V8 can be restrictive to folks like me who are working and have families. I only have a limited amount of pto time at work and must balance that time between family, kids and Ford car meets. If I were retired or independently wealthy and didn't have to work (my Model A and V8's prevent this) you bet your arse I would attend every event.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #31
quickchange

The thread is getting distorted, like so many do, The original complaint was about the two clubs holding their National, International meets on the same dates .which only happen every two years, One phone call, could have avoided this, There are a number of pissed of people that these meets are on the same week , Its not about too many choices, We know which club is too blame , You don,t see Hershey & Pate swap meets on the same date Do you ??
Old 08-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #32
BadgerA

Seems pretty simple to me. Pick which one you want to go to and attend. Choice is good. I'm a MARC guy, others are MAFCA guys. Make your choice and live with it. There are always going to be complainers and haters.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #33
Jeff/Illinois

But the guys that live so far away like N. Zealand would like to see BOTH Nationals and not have to choose one or the other.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
But the guys that live so far away like N. Zealand would like to see BOTH Nationals and not have to choose one or the other.
I agree that for the overseas people it would be nice to hold the meets a week apart. That could also help many of us that take a two week vacation and travel to both.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #35
msmaron

Quote:

-Tim
The complaints don't stop..Now i wonder how many here complaining have stepped up to actually RUN a national meet.. Or is it better to just complain about it...I think the latter!!!
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 08-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #36
denis4x4

In post #16 I asked if there was a line of communication between the clubs to address issues like this. I also inquired as to how far out the dates are set for meets. At least we know that the 2028 Olympics are going to be in LA!
Inquiring minds would like answers.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #37
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
In post #16 I asked if there was a line of communication between the clubs to address issues like this. I also inquired as to how far out the dates are set for meets. At least we know that the 2028 Olympics are going to be in LA!
Contact the national clubs. As I said before the local region/chapter set the actual date and location the national clubs do not (at lease MARC)e. The national clubs give a time of year. But don't take my word for it call them and get it straight from the source.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #38
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Line of communication? No clue. But again I don't see it as an issue.

Dates are set (for MARC at least) once a region steps up to host a meet and they work with local venues to insure the space is available and a contract is signed. You could step up today to host the 2019 MARC national. Or maybe put in for the 2022 meet.

In the past there seemed to be clubs tripping over each other to step up and host a meet. Now it seems to be like pulling teeth to get people to offer to host. This has lead to less "lead time" for planning purposes.

I've been involved in the planning of three national meets in the past ten years due to my local regions and had a lot of fun with it.

Those asking questions about the process because they are interested in stepping up and hosting should contact the respective member of the National Board. You'll be amazed at how much satisfaction you will get out of it.

-Tim
Old 08-13-2017, 12:10 AM   #39
Mike V. Florida

Quote:

In the past there seemed to be clubs tripping over each other to step up and host a meet. Now it seems to be like pulling teeth to get people to offer to host.
I can speak for my club. No one but me wanted to host an event here. All the club members were worried about losing money and of being held personally responsible for anything that might arise. Although not a one could point any reports of any suits of any kind against a local region, Showing them how clubs created corporations to shield themselves personally. I showed them that MARC works with a company that will handle all the venue concerns that have experience with MARC events, and even after showing them reports about monies being made they still said no.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:26 AM   #40
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
The complaints don't stop..Now i wonder how many here complaining have stepped up to actually RUN a national meet.. Or is it better to just complain about it...I think the latter!!!
Mark, it has been suggested by me over a decade ago that due to the liabilities, financial exposure, and the experience required to put on one of these meets, the national club should host these meets in-house.

I also think Seth's suggestion about divisional meets make great sense.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 08-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #41
msmaron

Quote:
Line of communication? No clue. But again I don't see it as an issue.

Those asking questions about the process because they are interested in stepping up and hosting should contact the respective member of the National Board. You'll be amazed at how much satisfaction you will get out of it.

-Tim
Amazing Tim how people don't see that. ,Its great and fun and there have been only 2 meets that have not made money......pretty good record as i see, its easy to get together and FORM A region to host..that is what people do now and it works...Gettysburg was done by 6 persons....honestly 6 persons... Al you have to do is step up and stop complaining and do it!!
Thanks Tim
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 08-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #42
phonconn

OK I WILL TAKE THE WHOLE BLAME!! It was me who arranged the dates for Branson. I am the Chairman of the meet and I did it. Now let me explain why. I too have many friends in the West in MAFCA and see them at our close by MARC meets and they have been my friends for over 30 years.
Here's what happened. There was no meet scheduled for 2018 and driving home from the 2016 MARC Toledo meet my young friend Jan Van Niekirk and I said we should host a National Meet for 2018 in Kansas City. Nice city, lots of great attractions and right in the center of the country. Jan (21) suggested as nice as it would be to have one in Kansas City it would be even better if we could do one in Branson. That city being the entertainment center of the midwest. I agreed that Branson would be great and on the way home we even thought of rhyming words to Branson and came up with A Danicin in Branson in 2018. Our pick of hotels in Branson was the Hilton and adjoining convention center for all our activities BUT the rate was $169 and for our membership that would be really hard. We found the Radisson Hotel with 470+ rooms and asked to see if we could get a block in June of 2018. 24 June - 1July was it until mid August and in August weather is usually pretty gnarly in the midwest. OR we could wait until 2019 and get the 3rd week of June which is rather a traditional week for MARC meets. We did consider the conflict but most MARC members are east of the Mississippi and since the MAFCA meet was in Reno we felt that the membership would most likely not head to the west coast. Traditionally MARC has always had their meets in June and MAFCA has had theirs in July-August with very few exceptions. YES MAFCA did book that week before MARC and it is unfortunate that the two meets conflict but it was a matter of not waiting another year as 2018 was begging for a location so we stepped on our MAFCA friends toes and although I deeply regret the conflict I made the decision to go ahead as they were 2000 miles apart. Branson has so so much to offer and as this was a formed club to host this national meet we are excited that the host hotel is already booked and we are thinking that we will top 600 registrants from this favorable early response. I will miss my friends from Cali as well as Sammy from Az and I deeply regret that these two meets collided but it just worked out that way and I am sorry but I think both meets will do well.
On a different note if this is a good destination for our club and at this early date we might be willing to do it again in 2021 and that is an off year for MAFCA and so we could all get together for that meet with no conflicts.
I just made arrangements for the swap meet spot half a block from the host hotel on the grass in the rough of the golf course next door and so we will be trying to attract 100 vendors or more to make this one of the best swap meets ever. As those who know me know I am a swap meet vendor and so I have a special place in my heart for the vendors and we will cater to their needs and also have a cookout planned in the swap meet on Thursday night hosted by the swap meet vendors for the attendees in memory of Doc Kalinka who had a brat fry on Thursday evening in the swap meet and we want to carry this tradition forward. So the swap meet will be virtually closed on Thursday during the Grand Tour and then open at 5PM for the cookout and run until the last dog dies later in the evening. So dogs and hamburgers, chips, soda, and ice cream on Thursday night to mix things up a little from previous MARC meets. If you have a lot of Model A parts contact me for info on the swap meet which will be open from Sunday through Friday.
I truly am disappointed that our down under friends won't be able to attend both meets and it was not anyone's intent to leave anyone out. I have a lot of customer/friends from both countries and would love to have made a connection with all of them again.
We are running the MARC meet two days longer that normal to give our attendees a chance to see additional shows and get out to some of the activities outside our MARC events so it will run from Sunday to Sunday so we can have some folks attend both if they can arrange to come on Thursday for 4 days.
Again I apologize for the conflict and I would be open to discussing another meet in 2021 but would want some more help. There are 5 of us so far in the Branson region so if the membership likes Branson we can do it again in three years and not conflict with the MAFCA meet.
I love you all MARC and MAFCA and you truly are my dearest friends and I look forward every year to old home week and will miss those I usually see from the west. I will see you in Hersey though this next fall. I welcome any comments or help. 816-213-8437
Dan Bixby
Old 08-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #43
Jeff/Illinois

If the national clubs merged, what would you call it? MARFCA??

That sounds like that contagious disease super-bug you pick up from layin' in the hospital too long.

Best keep things as they are
Old 08-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #44
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
If the national clubs merged, what would you call it? MARFCA??

That sounds like that contagious disease super-bug you pick up from layin' in the hospital too long.

Best keep things as they are
Not to worry. These two topics have be discussed ad infinitum or ad naseum without resolution, along with oil and white wall tires!

David Serrano
Old 08-23-2017, 09:17 PM   #45
larrys40

Dan and crew,
I for one think that both meets will do fine, and I want to thank you for taking on the task and doing it. having helped with the st. louis meets in 1988,co-chairing the 2005 membership meet and helping in 2014 I can say that its a lot of work but you do it out of heart for the cause and people attending. Having sold out the host hotel as of today is quite a good sign and I know that it will be a great success. You have our support of the Missouri Valley Region and you know mine personally with some technical and start up events.

It's a huge task to undertake and i know it will be great. thanks to all of you on your committee for your volunteer efforts and we look forward to the Branson meet
All the best!
Larry Shepard
Old 08-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #46
phonconn

Larry thanks for the kind words.

Missouri Valley Region is hosting a Friday " Barn Fresh" start up of a Model A that hasn't run in at least 25 years. Branson region is doing a 50-50 raffle on the person who best guesses how long it will take to get the car running. That region is St Louis based and has done this in memorial to Terry Oberer and some of the pasts greats from that club. It is annually attend by as many as 150 members and is the most attended event in the spring there in St Louis. Should anyone know of a barn fresh candidate for this event to be held in Branson on Friday morning please contact Larry Shepard, larrys40 here on FB.
Look forward to a great meet and hopefully we can do it again in 2021 without conflict with MAFCA meet, Lord willing.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:46 PM   #47
larrys40

Dan and all. I'm looking forward to doing our start up event and some technical seminars at Branson. We are as Dan noted above looking for a "Start Up " candidate for the event.
This years was our first "AA" and it had not run in probably 40 years or more.. Engine was free but had no compression. 4 plus valves stuck. We pulled the head, got things freed up, and did what we had to do to get it running... and it was going in 1 hour and 6 minutes.
Terry Oberer, my since passed Mentor and friend started it 25 years ago. We have been successful every year getting one going. Some go quick, some not. We've done pistons, etc. It's a fun event for us and we think it will be a cool event of a different nature at the national. It is a participation event. Since Terry's passing myself and Mark Schenberg here locally put the event on at his Modern repair shop Car Doc Automotive. His new shop is awesome!

If you have a possible candidate please drop me a line or send me an e-mail at [email protected]. My PM box is fairly full so I will try to delete.
preferably one that does NOT have a stuck engine but has not been run in 25+ years.
Crusty is good!
Here's a link or two to a few recent ones. Admittedly the awesome video from a few years ago was an easy car. Although it had not run in about 24 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWe8Ex_aWTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSuhZ9neOY0

Enjoy and hope you can make the Branson meet.
Larry Shepard
Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #48
TerryO

Dan and crew
I would like to thank you all plus all the others that have donated their time and effort to put on all the meets in the past and in the future. It is often a thankless job with a lot of belly aching about small details that someone didn't like. As an elderly lady at the church I attend says "suck it up butter cup", unless you are willing to try to do it better then you don't have any reason to complain.

TerryO
Old 08-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #49
Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerA View Post
Seems pretty simple to me. Pick which one you want to go to and attend. Choice is good. I'm a MARC guy, others are MAFCA guys. Make your choice and live with it. There are always going to be complainers and haters.
Agreed. I like having two clubs and more stuff to choose from.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #50
George Miller

Quote:
Maybe that is the problem. They do not want to change. If you want members you need to do what they want to do.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:30 PM   #51
Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Hello America this could be some of your international problems ????
This is offensive.
Schedule your New Zealand club meets anyway you like; but its not polite for you to criticize our government. I will pay you the same respect by not criticizing yours. There are still some of us who are protective of the country our forefathers fought for.
Closed Thread