Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #81
duke36

Default Re: What did you do working on you Model A today

installed stainless steel sleeves in the center barrels of SW sedan with doors removed from car for new stock type vendor's hinge pins. With no lathe available, etc. we used 5/16" stain. steel thin wall pipe reamed to 9/32" to suit and barrels drilled with 5/16" jobbers bit before placing sleeves using undersize pin as a driving guide. Fussy finesse work needing 2 people and to protect paint, but doors are super tight! A slight taper was needed on pin ends and grind the serrations very slightly then dipped in 600 wt. oil and knock them in.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #82
larryf

good job
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #83
Tinbasher

Well today I got my Model A running like a real car. Turned on the gas, turned on the ignition and hit the starter. Vroom. After 31 years.!! Great Day.!!
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #84
Jemelton#

Changed the oil, and lubed the beast. it only had about 300 miles on the old oil but I had the time and energy to do it today.

It really helped that I bought a window air conditioner for the garage, it made it a pleasant experience for a change.
Jemelton# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #85
BoysToys1928A

I thought about changing the old air in my tires that was put in back when Henry breathed that oxygen with new fresh humid air of today. But I thought of the anteek value of that air and decided against it.
Larry
Old 07-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #86
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Got out of the hospital today, realize that Afib is back and it may just be time to unload a few unfinished projects to a new home. Spent 24 hours mulling things over and figure the time has come. Enjoy what I have running and part with the rest of the someday................ thoughts. The Delivery goes first.
Davey,
You cain't GO, before we have our LONG visit & that's an ORDER!!
Bro Bill
Old 07-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #87
ModelAMike1930

I didn't do anything today, I worked on it so long yesterday I'm burnt out. I may start again tomorrow after a rest. I am retired so I don't have to punch a clock.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:20 PM   #88
guyatou

I inherited a 1930 Model A from my grandpa. I got to take it home this weekend and start working on it -- the radiator isn't flowing properly and it overheats quickly. Hopefully it's just full of grease. Anyway, I hope to have it back on the road this fall after this and a few other repairs!

guyatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:57 PM   #89
RawhideKid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatou View Post
I inherited a 1930 Model A from my grandpa. I got to take it home this weekend and start working on it -- the radiator isn't flowing properly and it overheats quickly. Hopefully it's just full of grease. Anyway, I hope to have it back on the road this fall after this and a few other repairs!

Take that radiator and lay it flat, face down, pour a gallon of vinegar in the lower hole and let it sit a day or two, drain it back into the jug from the TOP with a cheese cloth filter, then begin filling it with water and always keep the top pointed down and that should break loose the rust and the oil/grease in it. Sloshing the vinegar around will help some, but always try to keep the upper tank at the low point. Try not to let the crud you shake loose back into the radiator.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:59 PM   #90
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Got out of the hospital today, realize that Afib is back...
Wait! WHAT?? Your Afib goes away? And comes back??
My Afib is 24/7. Takes ALOT longer to get anything done these days...

What did I do today? I installed the radiator back in my Town Sedan for the second time this week due to a persistent leak in the overflow tube... Looks like I got it this time.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-26-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #91
Fourspd2quad

Well I didn't work on my A today but I did a run of these cast aluminum throttle linkage levers. If anyone is interested I posted an ad in the classifieds. Here is the link

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226586
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3742.jpg (63.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3743.jpg (62.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Picaro-BURNS-side.jpg (69.7 KB, 26 views)
Fourspd2quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:06 AM   #92
daveymc29

Went to help a lady that bought a coupe out of Tx on Ebay. She told me it ran perfectly and the man drove it off his trailer and drove it around with her, showing her how it worked. The next day he left back to Tx and she decided to go for a drive. Started the car and drove the half mile to her gate and it quit running several times so they got it home finally and parked in front of their house. Noticed a big puddle of oil in her driveway. Tried several times since to start it and eventually in a round a bout way I was asked to come see if I could help.
Nice looking, older restoration, the oil read a bit high on the stick, a few rust flakes in the glass bowl coming through the firewall, but not too bad. I sat in it chatting with her and asked if it was okay if I stated it. She agreed and I turned the key on and touched the foot starter and it started immediately. I then turned the GAV about two or three turns until that was closed and backed it out to a good steady idle, about 1/4+ turn. Then I took a friend and we drove it toward her gate. About there it died, obviously starved for fuel, we finally got the gas cap off and drove it back to her house. we found just setting the cap on the neck would starve it into dying. We left the cap off and again parked in her driveway and shot the bull for a bit. then we pushed the car backward after it had sat there for 5 or 10 minutes and there was an oil spot the size of my hand on the ground under the rear of the engine.
My plan now is to have a pencil filter installed in the shut off after all the gasoline is drained, remove a quart of oil, filter the fuel and put it back in, cure the plugged vent in the cap and drive it again. May have to wash out the carb. What else do you see needs done from what I presented? Engine was rebuilt in St. Louis less than 700 miles back, the story goes.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #93
caboose

Finishing up the replacement of the steering arms and tie rod ends on the 29 Phaeton.
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #94
Mr. J

Re- soldered a pin hole in my float and decked the two half's of my tilly plopped it back on and road it up and down the holler.... yes where I'm from its holler.... a couple of times and got it up to temp and it's running at about 180-183 sitting still idling, is this normal?
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #95
WHN

Re-torqued rear end axel nuts to 100. They were loose, last done two years ago.

Glad I checked.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #96
richsfords

Coming back from Gettysburg, items I found, replaced the neck on the radiator, pulled the rear glass and windshield installed new rubber seal and beding material adjusted the brakes. Replaced the bolt that fell out on carrier.
Said thank you TINKER TOO (my name for our A) (31 S/W town car)getting us home safe and with out a road side seminar.
PS. what a great trip 1000 miles round trip and loads of new friends.
Richard
PS change the engine oil, rear end lub, greased La machine, ready to go on the next road trip.

Last edited by richsfords; 08-12-2017 at 04:19 PM.
richsfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #97
kbinde2

Somewhere in the vehicle history a "door-glass" had been replaced with plexi-glass, and the passenger door glass had a crack.. so while the interior is in the planning stages, window regulators and felt guides will be replaced, and new glass is cut for install. Today is door regulator day.!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-01-01 00.00.00-471.jpg (54.1 KB, 6 views)
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #98
big31

New steering day! Very excited to put some miles on... to tired today though.IMG_20170812_155833.jpg
big31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #99
john charlton

Helped a good friend get his 29 AA truck running well , replaced the distributor and the leaky Tillotson . The float was holed . He had no spare so I lent him my Tilly off my Budd cab pickup . Had to put it back on later or otherwise a 15 mile walk home !!!

John in clear night just watched the Persius meteor shower Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #100
holdover

8-11-17 placing a new flange/bead on an otherwise great fender, It looks like they used the fender playing bumper cars, but the flange took all the abuse, the rest of the fender is in great shape. The old fix was old school lead that I wish I could of saved, but the bead was really destroyed and cut in multiple places, you would get dizzy looking down it, and decided a replacement was in order. I learned body work with lead back in the 50s, but this was too far gone and would never be strong. The replacement bead fits good and if I didn't run out of MIG gas it would be done. Still block sanding on the body, getting close to paint time! This '31 AA is a put together from parts without a title, turned in the paperwork to the VA DMV and waiting for the inspector to come and affix an assigned Vehicle ID tag, so I can apply for title and tags. It is a driver so I am not worried about matching numbers etc, just happy to save it from the scrap heap. just passed one year working on it...
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote