Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
Paps31

Default She lives!

After a few snags, the ‘31 fired up today for the first time in about 15 years. The coolant system sprung some leaks (which I expected) and the head gasket appears to be toast. But by George, she runs.

https://youtu.be/70o5fm0vmlc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Paps31; 09-16-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Paps31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: She lives!

How did you determine the head gasket was toast? I use aluma-seal as a sealer when gaskets aren't swollen or pinholes have opened in the radiator. Retorque the heads and recheck.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 PM   #3
Paps31

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
How did you determine the head gasket was toast? I use aluma-seal as a sealer when gaskets aren't swollen. Retorque the heads and recheck.

Coolant seeping out between the head and block was my first clue.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #4
eagle

Retorque head, it'll probably stop. Don't run it much until you do. Also run detergent oil and change often the first while to clean up the engine.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:22 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Hi Paps31,

Looked at your profile. Glad your Dad is still around, nice the 2 of you can have the experience of the A. I got my A as an inheritance, wished I had taken an interest and shared my with my Dad while he was still alive.

Hopefully you/your Dad are bringing the A back carefully after the long nap. Most likely you know Oil, gas, lube, mechanical, gaskets, etc., need attention after sitting that long. As stated above best not to run it much till you do some preventative maintenance.

Lots of good info/advice on the Barn, and it is all free.

Good luck, and keep letting us know your progress.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
Paps31

Default She lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Hi Paps31,

Looked at your profile. Glad your Dad is still around, nice the 2 of you can have the experience of the A. I got my A as an inheritance, wished I had taken an interest and shared my with my Dad while he was still alive.

Hopefully you/your Dad are bringing the A back carefully after the long nap. Most likely you know Oil, gas, lube, mechanical, gaskets, etc., need attention after sitting that long. As stated above best not to run it much till you do some preventative maintenance.

Lots of good info/advice on the Barn, and it is all free.

Good luck, and keep letting us know your progress.

“Pap” is actually my grandfather. I sent the video of it running to my mom who showed it to him. She said he was really excited to hear it running! I’ll be up to see him at the end of the week. [emoji846]

The first thing it got was fresh oil, gas and coolant. Then it got all ignition parts replaced and I rebuilt the carburetor yesterday. Now that it starts, it’ll get another oil change after running for a minute or two and liquifying the rest of the sludge.

Radiator, hoses and head gasket are next. I could probably torque the head down for a quick fix as said above, but after sitting this long, if it’s questionable I’m replacing it.

Last edited by Paps31; 09-17-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paps31 View Post
“Pap” is actually my grandfather. I sent the video of it running to my mom who showed it to him. She said he was really excited to hear it running! I’ll be up to see him at the end of the week. [emoji846]

The first thing it got was fresh oil and gas. Then it got all ignition parts replaced and I rebuilt the carburetor. Now that it starts it’ll get another oil change after running for a minute or two and breaking up the rest of the sludge.

Radiator, hoses and head gasket are next. I could probably torque the head down for a quick fix, but after sitting this long, if it’s questionable I’m replacing it.

I do not know what you have already done, but I resurrected mine after a 50 year nap. From my experience.

I recommend dropping the oil pan and cleaning the pan out, and the oil pump screen. I listened to a couple people who told me to just keep changing the oil and the sludge would clean out gradually. This was long before I knew of the Barn.

The motor started making a horrendous noise, I shut down immediately and had the A towed. Ended up I had to pull the oil pan down and take off the valve access panel and clean things out. The oil pump inlet in the bottom of the oil pan was blocked by inches of sludge in the bottom of the pan.

Recommend torqueing the head. Run a compression test. Run a Block Test Kit (detects exhaust gasses in the coolant) available through NAPA. Should give you a good Idea of how the head gasket/valves/piston rings, and if there are cracks in head/block. You may get lucky and not have to replace the head gasket. If indications indicate bad gasket, replace the gasket sooner than later, before coolant causes rust damage to valves, pistons, etc. I listened to others who told me to run mine with marginal testing results. Finally had some one replace it this year The gasket was blown in 4 places, almost to the point where simple machining and lapping seats/valves would not fix it. Also good info on the Barn on pulling heads that are difficult.

Lots of info on different Flushing methods on the barn. Research the barn, ask questions. Multiple ways to do it. Do not use muriatic acid. My recommendation is to inspect as much as you can with a borescope to see what you are up against. With coolant hoses and water pump off you can do some decent inspection of the radiator, head, and block.

Hope you find some of the above helpful.

If you want more info on my experience with resuscitation, ask.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote