Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #21
Ken B

Default Re: Most Liberal Insurance Underwriters?

Barrett-Jackson offers collector car insurance. They have great rates and less restrictive conditions than the other insurance carriers I checked into. They are worth looking into and comparing for yourself.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #22
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
the Hagerty website states you can drive your car on a limited basis- e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving ( no mention of work ).

It also states that collector vehicles must be stored in an enclosed, secure structure when not in use.
Obviously you also can not park it in your driveway overnight at your house or cottage. It is worth calling your agent to find out what you can and can not do.
Al
I agree, when I had Hagerty insurance, they told me the same thing. I couldn't drive my A to work, couldn't drive my AA to the hardware store to pick up stuff and the cars had to be stored under lock and key when not in use. I had to send detailed pictures of the cars insured and the buildings that they would be stored in.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #23
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I agree, when I had Hagerty insurance, they told me the same thing. I couldn't drive my A to work, couldn't drive my AA to the hardware store to pick up stuff and the cars had to be stored under lock and key when not in use. I had to send detailed pictures of the cars insured and the buildings that they would be stored in.

I also had to send detailed pictures and make a video of the car being pulled into it's lockable storage building for Hagerty. I figured it was because the stated value was higher than average (the car's condition is above average). After they reviewed the pictures and video, they eagerly agreed on the higher than average value and were happy with the way it was stored. Non-issue. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

However, I was also told (and have in writing) that pleasure use of the car, including getting groceries, is permissible use. I didn't ask about taking the car to work because my business includes a lot of traveling with utility vehicles and the A isn't at all useful for work.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #24
Larry Seemann

Something to keep in mind relative to this whole conversation: In the world of insurance there are 2 distinct areas to be considered and confusing one with the other is common.
#1: Underwriting - this has to do with acceptability. In other words we ask you certain questions in an effort to decide if we will sell you a policy. In Hagerty's case they don't want your business if you drive to work or don't store your car in a secure structure. #2: Coverage - once the policy is written what kind of claim will they or won't they pay? You have to read the exclusions in the policy. In Hagerty's case - if they sold you a policy and you were in an accident while driving to work they wouldn't deny your claim- it's not excluded, or if your car was stolen from your driveway because you didn't put it in the garage that night they wouldn't deny your claim - it's not excluded.
There is a difference between who is acceptable and what is covered. Read your policy.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #25
ronn

Larry, you are quite right-unfortunately reading some of these policies with the mumbo jumbo are a bit difficult to decipher.
You can do this but you can't do that-a lot of interpretation involved....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #26
Jerry Parr WI

The policies I checked all have a trip purpose limitation. It's not where you go it's why you made the trip that counts. If you go to a show and stop at your place of employment that seems ok. They all allow maintenance trips. Go for gas and stop at work. Friend used to always say he was road testing his horn. Looking for an occasion to blow it.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote