Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Camshaft question

Does anyone know what the height measurement of the camshaft lobes were originally? I know this probably isn't the best way to check a camshaft, but it is pretty easy to get a quick idea if the cam is worn very much. I have seen the diameter of the bearings (1.56") in books, but not the total height of the lobs. This can be easily be checked with a caliper. If anyone knows what this dimension is, would you please post it here.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 03-23-2013 at 10:30 PM.
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Jazzjr

Default Re: Camshaft question

Here is a link with the lift specks, but it looks like they are taken from the center of the camshaft .779 to the high point of cam from center, .302 for the lift. as far as I can figure 1.256 bottom of round to high point of cam.
Center to top is .779 w/lift, so i subtract .302 the lift, from .779 is= .477 to 1/2 dia of cam.
Now .477 Twice= .954 + .302 = 1.256

Maybe you can determine something from the drawings, to use with your caliper, to get the sum you want to measure overall from bottom to top???
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/camshaftspecs.htm

Last edited by Jazzjr; 03-23-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

Bill Stipe told me for best results the center bearing needs to be 1.557. The center bearing was originally 1.560 The lobe height should be preferably not less than 1.225 This is the numbers that I looked for when I measured lots of cams before I found one that met these specs. We had our cam ground to the popular Super street Winfield 3/4 race. It idles good and coupled with a 5.9 head it gives better performance accross the rpm range . I think the lift is 314 . the original lift has been said to be 302 . Most cam grinders will grind what you send them. A center bearing diameter of 1.556 isn.t too bad but it gives the cam more room to rattle around in the block .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Rusty, Vince has the information you want. I just compared it to my NOS camshaft and it's right on.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/camshaftspecs.htm
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Does anyone know what the height measurement of the camshaft lobes were originally? I know this probably isn't the best way to check a camshaft, but it is pretty easy to get a quick idea if the cam is worn very much. I have seen the diameter of the bearings (1.56") in books, but not the total height of the lobs. This can be easily be checked with a caliper. If anyone knows what this dimension is, would you please post it here.
Rusty Nelson

Ummm, depending on the quality of the caliper, do not be alarmed if your camshaft does not match the specs on the print. You really need to use a micrometer instead if you are trying to make an accurate assessment as your calipers may be off as much as .002 - .004 and give you a false reading with regard to wear.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
wrndln

Thanks to all that responded. I have the information to tell the original height of the lobes. Brent, I would normally use a micrometer to get exact measurements, however calipers would be fine to get close. I keep forgetting how much great model A stuff is on Vince's website. I should maybe have his web address tattooed backwards on my forehead so when I look in the mirror, I remember to check his site more often.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Rusty Nelson
Hey Rusty,
A or B...they are different..no?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote