Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
popsjohn

Default Spare Wheel and Tire Lock

I acquired a 1930 Murray Town Sedan about a month ago. My problem is that I did not get any keys to unlock the spare wheel and tire lock. Any suggestions? I would like to continue to use the locks since I believe they are period correct. I can not find any name or number on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1542.jpg (58.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1543.jpg (52.0 KB, 77 views)
popsjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Spare Wheel and Tire Lock

Did you check where a person would leave a key for a tire lock? Maybe with the jack or lug wrench?
Can you still contact the previous owner, maybe he had a hiding place for the keys. I would double check the vehicle, he wouldn't have left home without the keys.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 01-11-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
barnstuf

In my experience the prominent name on originals is FOX and usually followed by a Ford part number.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
popsjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Did you check where a person would leave a key for a tire lock? Maybe with the jack or lug wrench?
Can you still contact the previous owner, maybe he had a hiding place for the keys. I would double check the vehicle, he wouldn't have left home without the keys.

Charlie Stephens
I have looked all over the car. I found a set of keys under the front seat but they were duplicates of the ignition and door lock keys. Lots of tools and spare parts in the trunk, but no keys.The previous owner who was over 90 years old passed away last year.
popsjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsjohn View Post
I have looked all over the car. I found a set of keys under the front seat but they were duplicates of the ignition and door lock keys. Lots of tools and spare parts in the trunk, but no keys.The previous owner who was over 90 years old passed away last year.
When I pass away the original copy of my living trust will be found in my safety deposit box. My wife and executor of the trust all know about it. All they need is a copy of the trust and a death certificate and my bank will open the safety deposit box. I also have a spare of every key in the safety deposit box tagged to show what they fit. Any chance the previous owner of your car did that? Have you talked to the executor of the estate about and extra keys they may have found?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
1930artdeco

Welcome to the forum! Am I mistaken or is the key broken off in the lock. If not any god locksmith should be able to make up a key for you.

Mike
Old 01-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #7
CHuDWah

Quote:

Have you tried the ignition and door keys in the spare tire locks? Sometimes they're keyed alike. Otherwise, as 1930artdeco said, a good locksmith should be able to make keys.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #8
mass A man

Something looks awfully funny with the inside of the key slot on your spare tire lock. Have you just tried turning it off? Try putting a type of pin in the slot and see what happens. Perhaps the insides of that lock are not really all in there. May explain why there's no key!
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:29 PM   #9
Gary WA

coin slot!? Any Good Lock smith can make a key!!
Old 05-31-2022, 05:35 PM   #10
arestorations

Quote:
I acquired a 1930 Murray Town Sedan about a month ago. My problem is that I did not get any keys to unlock the spare wheel and tire lock. Any suggestions? I would like to continue to use the locks since I believe they are period correct. I can not find any name or number on them.
These locks are a Wise Lock made in USA. Called a Concentric Tube Lock. I believe that you can still find key blanks on the Internet. I bought a couple a couple years ago. They are a little difficult to pick but not impossible. There usually is no key code on them so it is a little difficult to cut keys for them. I could do it for you but you would have to get them off, there being the problem. The keys are aluminum, flat and have several steps on them to align the cylinders. Arestorations.
arestorations is offline   Reply With Quote