Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
DennisR

Default Installing Windshield Glass

Just got my windshield frame back from the chrome shop and started on the installation of the glass, I have two questions 1) I`m using the roll of rubber? from one of the main vendors and have super glued it to the glass, all good so far, I was expecting a fight to get the glass back in the frame but it will go in relatively easy, not so loose as to need a thicker rubber which would prob have the opposite effect , which makes me think it won`t be water tight. What are the thoughts on putting some black silicon in the channel before setting the glass ? 2) When it`s back together is the norm to trim the surplus bedding back flush to the frame edge ?

Dennis.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Installing Windshield Glass

Don't use silicone, as it will create rust. Use urethane for setting windshields.

I don't recall having to trim when I used the cloth/rubber setting material, other than to miter the corners. If you need to trim, then I'd trim along a line just a hair above the frame. Might try tape on the frame, then slide a razor along the tape.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I use the cork / rubber with materialed backing /(as originally used)/ no sealer needed or trimming needed...
The rubber stock from the suppliers, sucks, is harder to work with and looks wrong

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 08-17-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Afordman31

My brother and I just put one in his frame using Snyder's rubber. We notched the corners and ended up with the two ends at the top of the frame. Snyder recommends using oil on the rubber ( said it would make it swell and be tighter ). It went well. It needed trimming so we took a rule that was thin and put it against the frame and trimmed using a surgical knife. Ended up pretty professional looking.

Snyder's part# A-3402-X Page A-187 Their description: Black rubber used to seal the glass to the windshield frame. Give a light coat of oil when installing and the rubber will swell to make a nice tight seal.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
art ebeling

I would recommend the original cork/ rubber style to avoid leaks. Mitch had some for sale.
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:14 AM   #6
DennisR

Thanks for the replies, problem is not knowing what you want but getting it over here, I would have preferred the original type. I think I`ll follow the vendors instructions and coat it in oil, I`m halfway there anyway, does it matter what oil ? and if I`m not happy it can come off and I`ll redo it with the cork/rubber at a later date. I like the tip about using a thin rule, that works for me.

Dennis.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:44 AM   #7
DennisR

Default Re: Installing Windshield Glass Update

Glass is back in, can`t say I`m 100% happy with the rubber only time will tell, anyway I would not recommend getting the frame chromed, the extra thickness of the chrome causes a problem when reassembling in particular the top hinge. After a struggle I have got the hinge back on but it doesn`t lay at 90 degrees to the screen it will only go so far as in the pic, or is that correct
I havn`t tried it on the car but it looks like the screen is not going to close or if forced will put a heck of a strain on the mounting screws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160819_105401.jpg (23.8 KB, 141 views)
Old 08-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #8
Afordman31

Default Re: Installing Windshield Glass Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisR View Post
Glass is back in, can`t say I`m 100% happy with the rubber only time will tell, anyway I would not recommend getting the frame chromed, the extra thickness of the chrome causes a problem when reassembling in particular the top hinge. After a struggle I have got the hinge back on but it doesn`t lay at 90 degrees to the screen it will only go so far as in the pic, or is that correct
I havn`t tried it on the car but it looks like the screen is not going to close or if forced will put a heck of a strain on the mounting screws.
I have seen two of these hinges like the one you show in your picture. My theory is that the windshield was opened too far to get to the header screws.
If it doesn't lay at least to the 90 degrees like you say, it will bind when you close it completely. Take the hinge off, put it in a vise with something supporting the length, use a piece of hardwood and tweak the curl of the hinge. It will finally lay like it should with a little tweaking.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
Kevin in NJ

Close car frames were not plated except for Cabriolet and A400. In both those cases the front was masked off and the back was painted with a flat black paint to prevent glare inside. Also the windshield swing arms were chrome to match the frame. On closed cars the arms were nickle plated.

The inside of the frame is a worry as any plating solution not neutralized will cause rust from the inside out.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #10
moasew

Hi:

I'm getting ready to install the rubber around the windshield as well of my 28 Tudor. Does anyone have a photo/drawing of what the corners of the bedding should look like after it's notched or mitered. I tried a couple of corners and to me it wouldn't seal very well this way. The rubber also cracked in the centre while I had set the glass temporarily set into 3/8"slots of a 2x4 to hold it while testing the fit of the rubber on the glass.Will this affect the water tightness since it will be at the bottom of the glass?

Do I need to mitre or just cut the rubber into four pieces and bluntly place them in the corner? I'm leaning toward using cork/rubber tape instead as per original but hard to get in Canada.

Last edited by moasew; 02-25-2019 at 07:03 PM.
moasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #11
moasew

I installed my windshield glass using the cork tape but then found out the glass wasn't quite tall enough. The top edge of the glass is right at the edge of the channel. The glass was cut using the glass I removed from the frame so this doesn't make sense. The frame went together well but I found I had to place the tape in the channel first and then slide the glass in.The frame went together as it should in the corners. Are there different size windshield glass for a tudor?
moasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:08 PM   #12
jw hash

no, all the tudors originally used the same size glass. that being said over the years I have cut down windshield frames to fit the hole when someone doesn't install the header correctly. so there for had to cut the glass down to.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote