Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Roger V

Default Buyer Beware

A guy from my area got burned by a Scott Warmoch from Reno, Nevada. Sold Model A doors from his father's estate which were not received. The name and the story are likely made-up. So, be careful about sending money to an unknown source.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Buyer Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger V View Post
A guy from my area got burned by a Scott Warmoch from Reno, Nevada. Sold Model A doors from his father's estate which were not received. The name and the story are likely made-up. So, be careful about sending money to an unknown source.
Roger,
I don't even trust my DOG, with MONEY!---Besides that, he says he has NO POCKETS!---BUT, he might BURY it---LOL
Bill Carefulandhidesmoneywell
Old 10-09-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
daveymc29

From the "Ace Banker" Beware out there. Over a year ago I opened a checking acct. with Chase bank to hold money that I receive from Amazon for sale or a book I wrote. It is a small account that I have never written a check on and it had a balance of approximately 5600 dollars in it. A month ago we noticed that there had been a charge of roughly $6.00 made on the account and didn't really do anything about it other than I went to my local branch and asked to speak with someone about it and was told their computers were down. I went home and essentially forgot about it.
Toward the end of September we got our next statement and now there were charges of about $3000 deducted. I went back to the local branch and was informed that I should not be concerned as since I didn't make the transaction Chase would take care of it. Then I was told to see an investigator in another branch in town. I went there and was happily informed that I had no problems that they couldn't resolve. Next couple of days I received emails telling me that the bank was crediting my account with some small amounts that had been charged but that there were some large amounts that they would not be able to cover because the disputed withdrawals had been made by people that had made illegal withdrawals as far back as May, which put the crime outside of the 60 day limit that the bank covers. I pointed out that those big withdrawals had been within about the last 30 days or less. The banker informed me that back in May there had been a similar withdrawal for about four cents and that made these other withdrawals all fall under that crime as being in the starting date of my 60 day covered period. This seems entirely illogical to me but the banker told me it is in the disclosures (fine print) besides being Federal Law. So the gist is I'm out the large amounts yet the bank will cover a couple of things that amount to about $400.00 that transpired approximately the same time frame. Doesn't seem right and if that truly is the law it needs to be changed. I am lucky I don't have to live off that account or I'd be ready to go steal a shopping cart and we'd join others living under an overpass. At 82 years of age I don't need this to worry about along with the vagaries of family and health problems.
"Ace Banker"
David Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Mike Peters

Luckily I've never been burned yet, but how does one really know about sellers in distant states beyond talking with them on the phone?
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Most banks/credit cards can have alerts set up that email/text you as soon as a change is made in your account. I set this up after someone tried to put a charge on my card of $3.16. The CC company said that what you/me experienced is common. The thief 1st tries a very low charge/withdrawal as a test, waits to see if it is rejected, then later charges something bigger. This is especially quick if you have a smart phone. When I buy something at Walmart or a gas station, I get a text alert even before I get the receipt. The CC company said to never ignore something suspicious even if it is minor, and alert them as soon as it happens.

Hope this helps
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
30ccpickup

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
A few rotten apples.... I find Model A people are some of most trust worthy, helpfull, honest people I know. Funny how it takes just one to ruin it.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ccpickup View Post
A few rotten apples.... I find Model A people are some of most trust worthy, helpfull, honest people I know. Funny how it takes just one to ruin it.
Nothing to say that the miscreant in the original post was a Model A person.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
jm29henry

thanks Rodger for the heads up good looking out!!!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
Roger V

In this case the "Perp" responded to a wanted ad's phone number. So he probably wasn't a fordbarn registered user but a lurker. The victim reacted too quickly, IMO, without checking and of course that's difficult at best. He asked for pics of the doors but conveniently his camera wasn't working. In retrospect, the buyer could have asked for COD or possibly a Reno barn member to check out, or a national A club member to check out, etc.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
holdover

"The banker informed me that back in May there had been a similar withdrawal for about four cents and that made these other withdrawals all fall under that crime as being in the starting date of my 60 day" I suppose this was the first TEST withdrawal to set up the rest. Thanks for sharing, I'll check my accounts a-lot closer going forward.. As to buying things I pay with paypal for anything from anyone I do not know...that way I am suppose to be covered, I usually add the 3% fee and don't do a friends and family.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #11
updraught

Davey, I think the bank is pulling your leg.

Have a read of this
https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...g-act-1282.php

They give an example of 11 months of false debits. Only two months were paid back as it was within the 60 days.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote