Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
wrndln

Default Painting a carburetor with DP90

I have a carburetor I rebuilt and need to paint it. In the Judging Standards it says the finish should be a low luster black. PPG DP90 is a low luster epoxy primer. DP90 isn't UV friendly, however the carburetor is rarely ever in direct sunlight. I believe DP90 is gas and alcohol resistant, but not 100% sure. I have DP90, but can't seem to find any other low luster paint that is gas and alcohol resistant. If anyone know if DP90 would work OK or knows of another spray paint that is low luster and gas and alcohol resistant please post a response.

One additional question. I can mask off the top and remove many of the shafts and parts added before paint it. However, there are several small brass plugs that shouldn't be painted black. Is there a good and easy way to prevent them from being painted as the rest of the carburetor is sprayed? Trying to mask off the little plugs seem real hard to do. Maybe a little dab of grease or something on the brass plugs might be a possibility.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 03-14-2017 at 12:02 PM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Painting a carburetor with DP90

pm sent.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I've used a touch of grease on the brass plugs, and I've also just painted them and scraped off the paint after it dries.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
160B

I have restored a number of Zenith carburetors and have used DP90 and was very satisfied with the result. I drilled out the brass plugs and removed all components down to a bare cast iron core. Then painted the passages using a pipe cleaner, and then paint the inside and outside of the carburetor using an airbrush. After a good cure time I install new plugs, and the remaining components. Flow test the jets and bench test the float level.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
I have restored a number of Zenith carburetors and have used DP90 and was very satisfied with the result. I drilled out the brass plugs and removed all components down to a bare cast iron core. Then painted the passages using a pipe cleaner, and then paint the inside and outside of the carburetor using an airbrush. After a good cure time I install new plugs, and the remaining components. Flow test the jets and bench test the float level.
.....And how does the paint hold up in the fuel bowl? I've never seen any paint that held up to constant immersion in alcohol laced gasoline.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
.....And how does the paint hold up in the fuel bowl? I've never seen any paint that held up to constant immersion in alcohol laced gasoline.
I looked at my record book and of the carburetors I have restored, 60 since 2001, I have not had a problem with the paint not holding up, inside or outside.

On a few carburetor where I think I may have not had enough hardener the gas caused a slight discoloration, resulting in a lighter shade of black low luster.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Tom Endy

The best paint I have found for painting a Zenith is Luster Coat by Top Flite. It is a lacquer base paint and holds up well to gasoline. For some reason they recently stopped making it. You can pull both names up on the internet and they show the product, but then say "not available" However, they do have red available.

It is not a good idea to paint the inside reservoir portion of the Zenith as paint will not hold up to constant submersion in gasoline.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top flite.jpg (33.8 KB, 7 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I've painted my carbs inside and out, but after about 10 years the paint slowly went away from the inside of the bowl. That was with the paint from the model store, which is no longer made.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:17 AM   #9
Miles in MN

I have used white glue applied with a toothpick to mask the brass plugs. Doesn't travel like grease and pops right off after the paint dries. Also the asphalt in the original carb finish makes it look slightly shinier than most flat black paints, in my opinion. You can add a slight sheen to flat paint with a light coat of Johnson's paste wax (try a sample, you might like it).
Miles in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #10
duke36

rattle can old style black lacquer has been fine, applied thinly and can be touched up easily. mask off intakes, etc.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #11
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles in MN View Post
I have used white glue applied with a toothpick to mask the brass plugs. Doesn't travel like grease and pops right off after the paint dries. Also the asphalt in the original carb finish makes it look slightly shinier than most flat black paints, in my opinion. You can add a slight sheen to flat paint with a light coat of Johnson's paste wax (try a sample, you might like it).
huh never even gave white glue as a neat way to precise mask certian areas...thanks for the tip!
Old 03-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
Wilky

I have always used DP90 for my Zenith carbs and it works well. John
Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote