Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2010, 12:59 AM   #21
Jawman

Default Re: 1932 Ford BB 4 banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pilger View Post
Interesting discussion. I, too, have a 32 BB. They make for reliable vehic les... Not too fast, but always eye-catching and fun. Ron Pilger.
I have never seen another 32 BB. I cant wait until mine is that nice or at least close to it. do you have any more pictures and info? SO how fast will it go???
Jawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #22
Jawman

I took the head off today and that is about as far as I got. I have a new stud set I was thinking about putting on there, but I don't know how often the stud bolts break, so I haven't decided if I am going to use the old studs or put the new ones in there.

pat in Santa Cruz, you mentioned something about an Andrew's Book? does that have some good info that I might need? and where might I find one?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #23
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawman View Post
I took the head off today and that is about as far as I got. I have a new stud set I was thinking about putting on there, but I don't know how often the stud bolts break, so I haven't decided if I am going to use the old studs or put the new ones in there.

pat in Santa Cruz, you mentioned something about an Andrew's Book? does that have some good info that I might need? and where might I find one?
Les Andrews, " The Model A Mechanics Handbook" covers, naturally, Model A's. But the similarity to a B is close enough for it to provide you some direction. The differences are probably best illustrated on Vince Falter's website

http://www.fordgarage.com/

and in the V8 Service Bulletins, which cover some aspects of the B engine. Model A vendors carry both books, but I would not be surprised if you can find them on Amazon. I'll be in Portland Aug 27th. I'd love to see your truck. I have 2 AA's. There used to be a guy in Portland who was a source for AA and BB parts. I can't remember his name, maybe someone else here remembers. The best source of parts and info for you will be AA and BB owners, as there is very little published info on them. The Model AA truck Club might be a good source. They have a web page too.

http://www.fmaatc.org/

Last edited by pat in Santa Cruz; 02-01-2011 at 10:29 AM.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #24
Jawman

it would be nice to maybe find one of those books. I know of a gut in Scio, Oregon (that is just east of Salem, OR) named Gean. He has lots of ford trucks from model A's up to 1956 trucks only. he has some AA parts, but not much for a BB.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #25
Jawman

so I got the head off and it looks like the intake valve on the 3rd cylinder back is worn and has a nice crack starting. the seat is also in bad condition. how should I go about fixing it? I can probably find a new valve, but how do get the valve out and what do I do about the seat?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #26
Jawman

I found a new valve, valve cover gasket, valve guide remover tool, and went to work. I pulled the head and took all the head bolts out and didn't even break one. I pulled the valve and it looks like I can take it down and have the seat just ground and not need the put a new set in. I found a guy that said he could grind the valve seat and resurface the head for $40, that seams like a good price, but I don't know. My other question is do I need to have the top of the block resurfaced? it seems that there is some pitting and a few deep scrape marks from someone else scraping the head gasket off. I would think that would cause it to still leak water, but I don't know. I was trying to put pictures on, but can't seem to figure it out sooooo, help?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #27
Jawman

I think I figured it out. the photos I have are 2.70 mb in a jpeg file and the forum only excepts upto 512 kb
Old 08-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I think I figured it out. the photos I have are 2.70 mb in a jpeg file and the forum only excepts upto 512 kb
Put it on photobucket and post a link.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #29
Yellowfordcoupe

Wow, great truck. Congratulations. Should be a Oil Millionair, can't tell which body style of a Ford I like as my favorite.
Alex
Yellowfordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #30
Jawman

I finally took the fenders off so I can get to the engine without leaning over the fenders. One thing I need to figure out is how to get all these rusty bolt off. every bold on the fenders had to be cut off. I either drill the heads off or have a (3/8 steel grinder bit for lack of right word) that I have on an air straight shaft drill to grind the heads off. IS THERE A BETTER WAY??? it takes so long ad uses up drill bits. I finally found the VIN number that is on the frame. I already found the one that is on the bell housing, but didn't know where the one on the frame was. the funny thing about the Vin on the frame is it looks like it has been ground off and the same one that is on the bell housing put on, but it looks like it used to start with *AA and not *BB it actually goes *AA *b-------*. It makes me wonder if the chassis is an AA, but the body is a BB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1093.JPG (151.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #31
jerseyboy

Jawman,

Nice truck!
I just snapped off all the frozen bolts on the fenders and running boards on my wagon. I it was actually easier than cutting them off.
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #32
Jawman

jerseyboy, is your wagon a 1932? I see that you are looking for some 32 seats. I took out my tank and the seats. there wasn't much too the seats. the frame and springs are there though, but I don't have a back.

I wish, I love just snapping them off, but the heads just rounded off before they would snap off.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #33
jerseyboy

Quote:
jerseyboy, is your wagon a 1932? I see that you are looking for some 32 seats. I took out my tank and the seats. there wasn't much too the seats. the frame and springs are there though, but I don't have a back.

I wish, I love just snapping them off, but the heads just rounded off before they would snap off.
Jawman, Yeah my Woody is a 32.
I am looking for just the lower seats. They are the same as the 32 pickup/truck seats, that is two sections. Is that what you have?
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another

Old 08-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #34
Jawman

yah, I have the lower part of the seats that sit on top of the gas tank. they are a wood base with the spring frame attached to that. is your 32 a 4 banger or v8?
Old 08-13-2010, 10:55 PM   #35
jerseyboy

Quote:
yah, I have the lower part of the seats that sit on top of the gas tank. they are a wood base with the spring frame attached to that. is your 32 a 4 banger or v8?
It's a 4 banger, original. I'm gonna keep it that way. Plans are to hop it up a bit.
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another

Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #36
Jawman

WOW, never thought I would find another 1932 with a 4 banger. Are you ready for some questions? do you have any extra parts? where do you get your parts?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #37
Tom H.

Jawman, We have been working on what I think is a 1932 AAB truck for about 14 months. I have found that 32's are a rare breed and info on them is hard to find. It seems to me that the 28- 31 commercial trucks were AA's and 32 was a transitional year so the early 32 trucks were AAB's and the later trucks were BB's. The Ford Garage web site is the best I have found so far for info on 1932 Fords.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bwebtruckbeforeanything.jpg (60.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg bwebdonniegarden.jpg (89.6 KB, 66 views)
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #38
Jawman

Tom H. I really like it. it is so close, but so far away from what I have. where are you located? I have not been able to much at all about the BB and have never heard about an AAB. I did hear that in 32 they promoted having the 4 bander in the 1 ton until about November of 32 and after that they barley put in a 4 banger in the 1 tons. I kind of makes sense to me that it might be an AAB, but I don't know. I was maybe thinking the chassis was made in 31 and it was an AA that never got the body and running gear in it, so they scratched all the Vin number off after the *AA and Made it a *AAB, but my motor and trans is defiantly a BB. do you have more info and pictures of your rig? I would love to more of your rig. I s that a hydraulic dump bed?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #39
jerseyboy

Quote:
WOW, never thought I would find another 1932 with a 4 banger. Are you ready for some questions? do you have any extra parts? where do you get your parts?
Jawman,

I just have spares for most of the running gear and engine, the woody stuff is hard to come by. Fortunately some of the 32 Woody parts overlap with 28-31 and 33-34 woodys.

I get parts from many sources, evilBay, Fordbarn, swap meets, and friends. I also get parts from Roy Nacewicz, Renners Corner, Bratton's, Dick Spadaro, and Dennis Carpenter. Roy actually has restored a 32 Pickup, so he has parts for trucks.

Check out Vince's site: http://www.fordgarage.com/
Hope this helps:

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another

Last edited by jerseyboy; 12-12-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #40
NDTMAN

Have a 32 BB truck also just started working on it going to have an engine and two trannys and rear end for sale soon. Looking for a driver side running board
NDTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote