Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Tips/suggestions for driving rear bearing on to shaft on a '39 transmission

I'll post a picture shortly, but I'm 90% done with the rebuild of a '39 trans. All parts (gears, cluster, bearing, etc.) are NOS. I've found the front and rear main bearings quite tight. The bearing for the front shaft went on with some encouragement with a dead blow.

Now I got the cluster and main shaft in the case, resting on the cluster and the rear bearing is being a bugger.

I thought of tipping the trans on to it's bell and use a PVC pipe from the top to drive it on.

Any tips or suggestions would be welcomed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4464.JPG (35.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4465.JPG (33.0 KB, 52 views)
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Tips/suggestions for driving rear bearing on to shaft on a '39 transmission

Press the bearings on before you install the shafts.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Tips/suggestions for driving rear bearing on to shaft on a '39 transmission

It won’t go into the case that way. I spoke with Paul Jennings and have a plan.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
1ton

Yes, tip the trans on end but the shaft needs to be supported individually. Heat the bearing in a preheated oven set at 200 degrees for 10 minutes. If the housing bore and the shaft are both clean of burrs and other crap, the bearing should glide right on. And, I wouldn't hesitate to use a steel pipe instead of pvc. It is common practice to heat bearings in hot oil but if you keep the temperature down you wont have a problem. Just work quickly during this install.
1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #5
Terry,OH

they are a tight fit but you can use the bolt hole on the end of the main shaft to press them on a bit then switch to the U-joint and continue to press it on all the way.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
they are a tight fit but you can use the bolt hole on the end of the main shaft to press them on a bit then switch to the U-joint and continue to press it on all the way.
Ah, like that. Paul polishes the shaft so it’s a light tap fit. I’m going to use a combination of all these suggestions

Thanks, fellas.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
It won’t go into the case that way. I spoke with Paul Jennings and have a plan.

Interesting, I looked at Mac Van Pelt's book again and he has the the output shaft assembled and installs it from inside the trans case moving it towards the rear then installs the snap ring.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Interesting, I looked at Mac Van Pelt's book again and he has the the output shaft assembled and installs it from inside the trans case moving it towards the rear then installs the snap ring.

Bob
Bob:

Ah, I understand what you are suggesting now. At first, I must of been thinking of something different. I'll try that too.

Tim
Old 08-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

OK, could be I'm doing something wrong, but the rear bearing needs to go on after the back part of the shaft is in the case. It won't fit otherwise.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
Tim Ayers

Got it on. A little polish, a little pipe, putting bearing in the sun for an hour and a BFH. Tight as a drum!
Old 08-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #11
Lawrie

I use a threaded shaft I made up to screw into the end of the mainshaft,long enough to allow a sleave and washer to extend past the end of the mainshaft then fit the bearing and sleave over the shaft onto the inner part of the bearing,then a washer on the shaft and a nut and just pull the bearing on.
I sure would n,t be into polishing some off the mainshaft, then you have a loose bearing and U/joint to worry about.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
Ken/Alabama

Geez, I’ve never had one new or old that was tight on the main shaft,snug but not so tight it had to be pressed on and off.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #13
jimTN

I'm with you Ken. Never had a problem with that rear bearing.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #14
Dak Rat

I've rebuilt two '39 transmissions using NOS shafts and bearings, bearings slid right on the shafts by hand. Maybe should Mic the shaft and see what size it is.
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote