Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
WTSHNN

Default Old Car Fest Changes

Got a letter in the mail from The Henry Ford yesterday detailing changes to the process for the Old Car Fest at Greenfield Village.

Seems that they are moving the show to an "invitation-only format".

They go on to state that they are seemingly grandfathering in those vehicles that attended in 2014 and 2015.

They are also going to be more selective on the vehicles they invite so that they "specifically align with (their) annual program themes and topics". Which seems to mean they're going to be trying to diversify the types of vehicles there. They state that with nearly 1,000 vehicles attending the event it becomes a logistical headache as well as a safety concern for attendees. So it looks like they'll be scaling things down a bit.

For those unfamiliar with the show, it is a September car show on the grounds of Greenfield Village that is open to vehicles 1932 and older that appear to be unmodified as well as a speedster class. It is the longest running car show having been open since the 1950's I believe.

I've only been to the show in 2014 and 2015 but it has quickly become one of my favorite events to attend and I'm looking forward to participating in the future. That being said...it was HEAVY on Model T's and A's, as most anyone could expect, so I am not too terribly surprised that they have made changes to the event so as to diversify the vehicles that attend. I have no doubt the show will still be amazing as there isn't much chance to watch a 1903 Ford drive down a street with a 1920's era Pierce Arrow waving as they pass.

-Tim
Old 02-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Old Car Fest Changes

Tim. I totally agree that it is one fine show. I am only 50 miles away and we make it a family afair. My 90 year old father in law lives for it. I am fortunate to have a couple cars on the invite list. Hope to see you and other Barners there, Wayne .
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

So if it is a different form of invitation only (-I thought it has always been that you must be invited/accepted), how will the HF know of new cars/attendees to invite??

Another observation of mine was it seemed they were down on cars in 2015 over 2014 or before. Thoughts??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
WTSHNN

TK, I agree that the invite to apply doesn't guarantee acceptance for returning vehicles. I'm ok with that. I'll apply and hope to get accepted. If not I'll probably still attend as it is a great show even for spectating.

As for the number of cars at 2015 versus 2014...I didn't think they were down during the day but due to the cold at night the gaslight parade was sparsely attended as compared to 2014.

Still a great way to spend a fall weekend.

-Tim
Old 02-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
TK, I agree that the invite to apply doesn't guarantee acceptance for returning vehicles. I'm ok with that. I'll apply and hope to get accepted. If not I'll probably still attend as it is a great show even for spectating.

As for the number of cars at 2015 versus 2014...I didn't think they were down during the day but due to the cold at night the gaslight parade was sparsely attended as compared to 2014.

Still a great way to spend a fall weekend.

-Tim
I agree that it is a great event, but after being a participant I am not sure I would be as thrilled just being a spectator. I would imagine there are many others that fall into the same mindset.

With regard to Model-As & Ts being plentiful, how do you suppose they choose who gets invited or not in that area? Many of those very people have been participating for the last decade or two. Those folks are gonna raise Cain if they are not invited. Many of those very ppl are HF members also!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
redmodelt

Posted on the Model T Ford Club of America forum;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1455550406
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #7
Great Lakes Greg

I love the festival, but I have to say it is very crowded. We rode around in a friends Model T Huckster, and it was white knuckle at 5 miles an hour. The volume of people and cars vying for space on the streets looked like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Such is success, I suppose. Better than no participation and a dying event.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Greg View Post
I love the festival, but I have to say it is very crowded. We rode around in a friends Model T Huckster, and it was white knuckle at 5 miles an hour. The volume of people and cars vying for space on the streets looked like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Such is success, I suppose. Better than no participation and a dying event.
Greg, my recollection of driving the streets last year definitely differs from being a "white knuckle" ride like yours. To me, it has always seemed like we were in a large parade all day just making laps. Most pedestrians I saw did not cross the road except at crosswalks, ...and even if they do, if we are paying attention and driving prudently, it really is not an issue that I've noticed. On the main road, those Keystone Kops seemed to keep things flowing quite well too. On 2nd thought, maybe you were following me and it was my driving that was causing the 'white knuckles'!

After again reading what Marty and others have posted on the Model-T forum, I think they have covered my feelings pretty well, and I trust those guys will let the 'powers that be' know folks are not too happy about the new selection process.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-23-2016, 11:49 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If I may render a guess about invitees. I know Concour events truly invite some of the cars. Over time the owners of certain cars are known and they receive an invite. Others submit photos of their cars. These photos are gone over and the cars that fit in within a class receive an invite. This way the cars are varied within a class.

Just a guess as to how it would work in this case.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
JpMotorsports

Send a message via AIM to JpMotorsports Send a message via Yahoo to JpMotorsports

My question is now that they are going to a invite only will all cars now be judged? In the past the cars on the village green were the only judges cars and the rest spread out in order by year were there for display and participation in the drivin, car games and pass and review. I attend the old car festival with my uncle every year and show a car at motor muster (the june show) and have concerns about the invite process for that show.

1972 OLDSMOBILE 442 CONVERTIBLE
1969 CHEVELLE/MALIBU- SOLD
2003 MONTE CARLO SS PACE CAR EDITION # 841 OF 1401- SOLD
JpMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #11
JpMotorsports

Send a message via AIM to JpMotorsports Send a message via Yahoo to JpMotorsports

Dose anyone know when part 2 of the updates to the process is to come out? Motor Muster registration opens up March 1st.

1972 OLDSMOBILE 442 CONVERTIBLE
1969 CHEVELLE/MALIBU- SOLD
2003 MONTE CARLO SS PACE CAR EDITION # 841 OF 1401- SOLD
JpMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #12
WTSHNN

Revisiting to say that I received an email from the Henry Ford today and my truck was accepted. I had also registered my friend's '31 Tudor with my truck and that car is "still in process" and hasn't been accepted or rejected yet.

So, keep an eye on your email boxes if you registered and are waiting for an answer.

-Tim
Old 07-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #13
glenn in camino

I attended the MARC national there, with my black 1929 std coupe in 1978.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote