Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #21
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Barners Selling Parts Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
PC............doesn't that stand for Political Corruption?
I don't like the idea of the new $20 either.
Actually I've mailed and received cash at times and never had a problem. .
That's because you are honest and have pleasant memories of doing business with those just like you. Heart hardening though when that honestly is taken advantage of.............

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #22
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank55a View Post
A little additional info. With the first case, when I contacted the FBI the agent informed me that NO checks or money orders were safe, including USPS Money Orders. Ironically a couple days later I did receive a USPS Money Order for only $14 it was stamped in red "NOT VALID FOR GREATER THAN $50". When I took it in to the PO the clerk said that was the first time she saw that on a USPS MO, however she told me two days before there was a post office memo that said the window clerks can no longer cash USPS MOs for greater than $50, they must have the local Post Master's approval in order to be cashed. Last week I had a USPS MO for just over $50, it had to be approved and took about 10 minutes, I assume the Post Master did a search on the MO serial number to verify it was good prior to approval.

I am not sure how trust worthy cash is. In our area, if you pay cash at the store all bills $5 and above get swiped with the pen. May have to start carrying one of those pens to the swap meets when I sell parts.

For those that are selling big ticket items (such as, a car), you may want to check with your bank about setting up a one use wire transfer account where the bank is the middle man and holds the funds until the transaction is complete. This way neither you nor the buyer needs to carry large sums of cash and you do not have to provide your personal account information to the buyer.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/...or/N=5+573547/

those pens may not be a bad idea for swap meets- for as cheap as they are (3 pack for $10 - pick it up in the store) its a quick wise investment. if that $10 saves you $100 its a no brainier.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #23
dean from bozeman

Thumbs up Re: Barners Selling Parts Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Cash is king! However. Our "President" had no objections to raising our natl.Debt to $19Tr. Since this debt is incurred with the Federal Reserve to borrow cash, where is all that money?We've doubled the the amount of cash in circulation, yet it's not trickling down. Duh!! Scratching my head in frustration!
Terri
Terry, I wish the value of my Model A's increased as much as the national debt in any of these presidencies.

Increase in the National Debt for each president. The percentage increase is what they added to the debt from the previous presidency.
Truman 3%
Eisenhower 5%
Kennedy 8%
Johnson 13%
Nixon 34%
Ford 47%
Carter 43%
Reagan 186%
H.W. Bush 54%
Clinton 32%
W. Bush 101%
Obama 56%

Guess this means that I should raise the prices on my Model A parts at the next swap meet. :-)
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #24
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Terry, I wish the value of my Model A's increased as much as the national debt in any of these presidencies.

Increase in the National Debt for each president. The percentage increase is what they added to the debt from the previous presidency.
Truman 3%
Eisenhower 5%
Kennedy 8%
Johnson 13%
Nixon 34%
Ford 47%
Carter 43%
Reagan 186%
H.W. Bush 54%
Clinton 32%
W. Bush 101%
Obama 56%

Guess this means that I should raise the prices on my Model A parts at the next swap meet. :-)
Anyone know, besides me, why the national debt rose so much more under Reagan?

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 05-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #25
wrndln

Dean,
I can't find your numbers for the national debt you posted. I don't believe they are correct. Obama's debt is much higher in both percentage and actual dollars by far than any other president. Obama will almost double the national debt from about $10 to more than $19 trillion before he leaves office. Where did you get your figures?
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #26
barkleydave

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Transactions anymore cash (and that should be verified at the bank I got counterfeit one time) Or Wire Transfer. Wire is probably the best once it is in your account and verified that is the end game.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #27
Rowdy
BANNED

So who exactly ripped you off? Rod
Old 05-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #28
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Dean,
I can't find your numbers for the national debt you posted. I don't believe they are correct. Obama's debt is much higher in both percentage and actual dollars by far than any other president. Obama will almost double the national debt from about $10 to more than $19 trillion before he leaves office. Where did you get your figures?
Rusty Nelson
Close Rusty but if you look it up, the last Bush racked up 5 trillion in debt the present guy has quadrupled not doubled the debt Money being printed out of thin air and handed over to Wall Street investment bankers, to prop up the Stock Market. Not a good deal except for the super rich it is!

Back to Model A's
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #29
frank55a

Rowdy,

If you are asking me - nobody. I was suspicious from near the start in the first case and as things progressed it was very apparent there was a RAT. In the second case I smelled a RAT from the beginning. I did not loose anything except some time. I did not attempt to cash any check. The names do not make any difference as they were either made up or dead as in the first case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
So who exactly ripped you off? Rod
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #30
BILL WILLIAMSON

When you suspect a SCAMMER, just E-Mail back, "YOU ARE A SCAMMER" & they almost always GO AWAY.
Bill W.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #31
dean from bozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Dean,
Rusty Nelson
I got my numbers at the About Money website (useconomyabout.com). As you well know, there are different ways to show a point of view when using statistics. I didn't go left or right when looking for data. - There are also ways to look at the economic data, e.g. change in debt as a percentage of the GDP; percent increase during a president's "reign", etc.

My point was that things go up under any administration, some more than others. It essentially independent of which party is in office. However, Model A prices and Model A parts prices seem to stay pretty constant through the years...no matter what happens to the GDP, national debt, etc.

I agree with Jeff.....Now back to Model A's and how to catch them stinking scammers.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #32
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
When you suspect a SCAMMER, just E-Mail back, "YOU ARE A SCAMMER" & they almost always GO AWAY.
Bill W.
If someone accused me of being a scammer I would just go away and I am not a scammer. I don't need a transaction that starts out with that attitude. I don't make enough money selling parts to make it worth the hassle. Just ask in a nice way for a picture with something unique included (like the front page of todays paper) that they couldn't find in an EBAY picture.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 05-19-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:30 PM   #33
burner31

Cash may be King, but it's precious metals that rule...gold, silver and lead.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Cash may be King, but it's precious metals that rule...gold, silver and lead.
The government won't let us touch mercury or lead, so lead is out.
As soon as someone gets a sliver, then wooden nickels will be out also.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:13 AM   #35
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I am not a scammer. Charlie Stephens
I couldn't help to remember after reading your statement...............

"I am not a crook"....Richard Nixon

We have all lived through the best of times and the worse of times and......some comical times.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:48 AM   #36
smittykid

A number of years ago I had a car for sale on "Carsonline" I was asking $24,000 for the car. I was contacted via email with an offer to buy the car for $30,000 and he would send me a cashiers check for that amount. I was then supposed to Western Union him the difference of $6,000. This guy even told me where my closest Western Union office was. Long story short-I finally received a cashier's check for $30,000 made out to me. I held it up to the light and it looked good right down to the watermarks. It came in a plain white envelope with German postage on it and no return address and no cover letter. I was able to contact the bank the check originally came from. The gal at the bank asked me the check # and the account # on the check. She told me that the check was no good (which I already knew). At one point in time these were legit cashiers checks from this bank. Apparently there was an inside job where someone stole a bunch of blank cashiers checks and must of sold them on the internet. She said that normally the bank would request me to send them the check, but they already had a file full of bogus checks.
I knew this was a scam from the get-go. I just wanted a $30,000 cashiers check made out to me to hang on the wall in my office. I contacted the "buyer" via email and told him I was informed by the bank the check was no good. I ended my email by stating, "Nice try A-hole". Surprise, surprise- I never heard back from him.
This was several years ago and this scam is still going on in one form or another.
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #37
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykid View Post
A number of years ago I had a car for sale on "Carsonline" I was asking $24,000 for the car. I was contacted via email with an offer to buy the car for $30,000 and he would send me a cashiers check for that amount. I was then supposed to Western Union him the difference of $6,000. This guy even told me where my closest Western Union office was. Long story short-I finally received a cashier's check for $30,000 made out to me. I held it up to the light and it looked good right down to the watermarks. It came in a plain white envelope with German postage on it and no return address and no cover letter. I was able to contact the bank the check originally came from. The gal at the bank asked me the check # and the account # on the check. She told me that the check was no good (which I already knew). At one point in time these were legit cashiers checks from this bank. Apparently there was an inside job where someone stole a bunch of blank cashiers checks and must of sold them on the internet. She said that normally the bank would request me to send them the check, but they already had a file full of bogus checks.
I knew this was a scam from the get-go. I just wanted a $30,000 cashiers check made out to me to hang on the wall in my office. I contacted the "buyer" via email and told him I was informed by the bank the check was no good. I ended my email by stating, "Nice try A-hole". Surprise, surprise- I never heard back from him.
This was several years ago and this scam is still going on in one form or another.
Unfortunately the scammer has your name, address and email adress. What a shame and significant risk should he try to get even!! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #38
Rowdy
BANNED

I am definately with you on this Charlie. Starting out a deal with trust being questioned can only end badly. Rod
Old 05-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #39
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The government won't let us touch mercury or lead, so lead is out.
As soon as someone gets a sliver, then wooden nickels will be out also.
That's funny. I have ten's of thousands of circular lead pieces...you may know them as "rounds"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h2082CB24.jpg (50.2 KB, 9 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #40
Jeff P. / MN

I always prefer to take a PERSONAL CHECK for all purchases. What scammer would send that?!!! Just deposit said check and when the bank clears it (usually three days) I ship the product. In 20+ years of selling on the net I have never had a problem with a personal check. Simple.
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote