Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default How do Wheel Bearings Survive?

There has been much concern expressed about using grease to pack the U joint housing, and putting grease in the steering box. The thought being the grease will be pushed aside as soon as the parts move, then the parts will run with no lubrication.

If this is so, then wouldn't the same thing hold true for the front wheel bearings?
The hubs have a large cavity for the grease to be pushed into and away from the rollers.

I won't be pulling my rear axle anytime soon, but when I do I'll have to take a picture of the U joint to see how it survived the Mystik JT6 grease.

My steering gear leaks out the 600W within a few days, so I pump in grease then add some gear oil. Any lubrication is better than no lubrication, and Mystik is a very stringy grease that clings to parts.

Several riding lawn mowers have 5 or 6 speed aluminum case transmissions with no fill or drain plugs. They are packed with grease when assembled, then left to do their job. Does anyone know the recommended grease for these?
I'll call a lawn mower shop later and see what they recommend.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
john charlton

Default Re: How do Wheel Bearings Survive?

I saw on You Tube where someone was repacking the front wheel bearings . The wheel bearings were then adjusted with zero play, a sure way to ensure limited lifespan . Oddly the spindle seemed to be left hand thread I have not seen that on a Model A .

John in sunny morning but rain on the way Suffolk County England
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
Pinesdune

Tom, I was under the impression that most grease has a viscosity rating similar to oil, where once it warms up it will flow to some degree. I know if I use half a tube to pack wheel bearings, 6 months later (give or take) when I have to do another, the grease that was left on the sides had "run" to the bottom of the tube.

I just picked up a tube of JD corn head grease yesterday, and according to the label, it's just a thinner version of the same JD polyurea grease I already use

Looking for the front bumper emblem that has "Ford, Made In Canada"
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Wheel bearing grease will withstand the heat generated by the brakes and friction created by the bearings. Packing the bearing rollers properly is essential, as the grease will stick to it and lubricate the bearings... Only the residual excess will get thrown off...
Regarding what does get thrown heat will also cause it to liquify to some degree and drip onto the moving components in the u-joint cavity

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-17-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

Grease liquefies when its temperature rises in a bearing, and has squeeze-out resistance.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #6
2manycars

Packing bearings is essential. When I worked in the Ford dealership in Colebrook NH, the shop forman was always trying to cut corners to save money. He got the bright idea that he could remove the outer bearing and pump grease in the cavity between the bearings, and save the time of removing the brake caliper and rotor and seal and inner bearing to repack it. He just packed the outer bearing, and re assembled. When the car came back in later, the outer bearing was fine, but the inner bearing was completly worn out, on both sides of the car, despite the hub being filled with the grease he had pumped in there. To me, that was an indication that cleaning and repacking the bearing with clean grease was important.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #7
nick c

Take some of your grease and put it in a tin can then put it on the stove, I think you will be surprised of how much heat it can take before you see any softening of the grease.
I like Lucas red and tacky #2 grease.
I always use a bearing packer on tapered roller bearings.
carry on nick c
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

The LONG life of Timken Wheel Bearings is like a MIRACLE!!
BUT, ALWAYS use a Quality Brand, HIGH TEMP, Disc Brake Grease!!!! All wheel bearing greases are NOT EQUAL!!!!
Seriously, I've done this stuff for YEARS & I'm NOT just whistlin' "DIXIE"!!! I've seen a lots of FAILURES, from using "ACME" Brand greases.
Loosely adjusted bearings will NOT let the ROLLERS do their job of CIRCULATING the grease!!!
A proper packing job will go 30,000 miles, with a quick re-adjustment at 15,000 miles.
Bill W.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
CarlG

"Back in the day" the wheel bearing grease I used had lots of long stringy fibers in it. As far as I know, there isn't anything close to that today. I thought I had struck the motherload when I found some Timken Wheel Bearing Grease, only to find that it looks just like Tom's Mystic grease, which is what I use everywhere else.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:04 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
"Back in the day" the wheel bearing grease I used had lots of long stringy fibers in it. As far as I know, there isn't anything close to that today. I thought I had struck the motherload when I found some Timken Wheel Bearing Grease, only to find that it looks just like Tom's Mystic grease, which is what I use everywhere else.
I "think" that long stringy type grease was a necessity, when GM was using BALL bearings in their front hubs. Apparently, the balls didn't move the grease around as well as the rollers did. I remember kits that converted them to Timken Roller Bearings.
Bill Old
Old 02-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #11
jerry shook

I know it is according to how much you drive but is there a good rule of thumb on re-packing the wheel bearings. I will be taking my 31 s/w to the Cigar City flatheads Barners Bash Cruse March 3rd 4 & 5th. an was just wondering.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
1Tudoor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RqlrnoiqnY

Timken info installing their tapered roller brgs
1Tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #13
katy

Howcum taper roller bearings in the rear axle are preloaded while the ones in the front wheel hubs are adjusted very slightly loose, w/out any preload?
Does the fact that the rear axle ones are running in oil while the front wheel ones are in grease come into the equation?
Old 02-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #14
ursus

When I finally used up my bucket of Texaco Marfak "O" grease I couldn't find anything like it available. Anything dipped in that stuff came out trailing a foot long string - now that is sticky!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #15
Jim Brierley

You guys are all wrong! The answer to Tom's question is "friggen magic". The answer to katy's question is the hubs expand and tighten the bearings.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #16
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Howcum taper roller bearings in the rear axle are preloaded while the ones in the front wheel hubs are adjusted very slightly loose, w/out any preload?
Does the fact that the rear axle ones are running in oil while the front wheel ones are in grease come into the equation?
The rear bearings are not tapered, they are straight. It's the axle that is tapered in the rear.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 02-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #17
TDO

I've used Mystik grease for years. I bought it at my local wall mart. But now they don't sell it any more . they have Lucas instead. How does Lucas compare to Mystik? None of my local auto stores handles Mystik either.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #18
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDO View Post
I've used Mystik grease for years. I bought it at my local wall mart. But now they don't sell it any more . they have Lucas instead. How does Lucas compare to Mystik? None of my local auto stores handles Mystik either.
Your local O'Riley store should carry Mystik. That's where I get it here.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 02-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #19
katy

Quote:
The rear bearings are not tapered, they are straight
I was referring to the differential bearings, not the wheel bearings. I did say "in the rear axle".

This sounds like what Larry Jenkins was talking about, jeez
Old 02-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #20
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
That's debatable if you want to leave your front wheel bearings loose or with 0 preload, or a few inch pounds of preload.... I do all cars at 0 or a hair more,,,never loose

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-17-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote