Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #21
SGT in Ont.

Default Re: Rearching brake shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlinh View Post
I couldn't find anyone to re-arch my shoes when I did my car. I used double back tape to hold 80 grit paper to my drums and sanded them by hand. It worked well and I now have good brakes but it is rough on your hands. Grinding on a proper machine would be better.
SGT in Ont, do you want to start a business?
I already offer the service hear in Ontario. People usually don't like the cost associated with shipping. I still do it on the side.
SGT in Ont. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:07 AM   #22
bandjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlinh View Post
I couldn't find anyone to re-arch my shoes when I did my car. I used double back tape to hold 80 grit paper to my drums and sanded them by hand. It worked well and I now have good brakes but it is rough on your hands. Grinding on a proper machine would be better.
SGT in Ont, do you want to start a business?
After a long time, I heard a piece of great news out here. SGT in Ont, and do you want to start a business. First of all, I would like to thank you and congratulate you for starting a topic over here. Best of luck for your business if you are still going to start and specifically you need not miss the going through business rules if you did like to hire an agent you can hire Texas SOS or Delaware SOS for making to frame your business at ease.
I hope this might be helpful.
bandjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 05:51 PM   #23
dmar836

To future readers of this thread: The random opinions here are why you really shouldn't take advice solely from the web - you will find exactly what you are looking for no matter how wrong. Some posts here are okay, some is not at all okay and is hack work by any standard of engineering. Arching lined shoes is one thing but pre-arching shoes shows a complete lack of understanding of how these particular brakes function. Saying "it worked for me" isn't much as some people's standards of success are only as high as their standards of practice.
JMO,
D
dmar836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 06:49 PM   #24
Kurt in NJ

Barrett brake doctor arcs the shoes and centers at the same time, on the car ,good for fixed anchor shoes, it is from the era and has adapters to fit the rear wheel bearing surface, and one for the front spindle, the drum is measured and machine set with a fixture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B91E50C6-A138-415A-AF13-A6DE1999D9BE.jpg (31.7 KB, 38 views)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 08:57 PM   #25
Bigsnapper43

How many times have you pulled a drum and find the shoes are worn about three inches in the middle of the braking surface? An old timmer taught me to bend the shoe with .010" clearance on each end of the shoe.
Bigsnapper43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 03:55 PM   #26
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Don't know the truth of the matter, but a local shop told me it is illegal to re-arch the shoes (by grinding) in California. Anyone know for sure?
Unless things have changed it is only illegal if you don't have the right equipment. The right equipment will collect all of the dust generated, especially important if the shoes contain asbestos. It is expensive to retrofit the machines to collect ALL of the dust. I think they also had to be approved and inspected. Since modern cars have used disc brakes for several years there is not enough demand to spend the money to upgrade the equipment.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 04:00 PM   #27
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
I asked a Model A Ford parts rebuilder a question as to how hard is it to find someone today to rearch a Model A Ford brake shoe.I was surprised at his response as he told me to stand the shoe on edge and either strike with a large mallet or press on the end to reshape the entire shoe to fit the drum. Seems a bit extreme to me reforming or trying to reform the entire shoe instead of the lining itself. Has anyone every heard or done this procedure? Might work but sure would be hard if you over did it to get back. Think if I don't find someone to properly do it I will let friction do the job.
I suggest you start by putting your general location in your profile, maybe someone knows a source to have the work done near you. Next ask the question at your local Model A or early V8 club. As a last resort send the shoes back to the company the relined them and have them arc them to the drum diameter you give them.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote