Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #1
Owlseye

Smile Door Hinge repair

On my 1933 BB truck the drivers door lower hinge rivets have pulled thru the door. Stress cracks from always being used. I need advice and opinion on repairing the door where the hinge mounts. The lower hinge was originally riveted to the door body and bolted to the cab. What is the best way to repair the damage? Take the door off and weld a heavy steel plate to the door edge where the rivets pulled out and use round head bolts to remount the hinge? Weld the plate on the outside or inside of the door? Tap and thread the hinge and use counter sunk screws to mount the hinge? Did the hinge pull flush against the door body or was there a spacer between the door frame and the hinge inside the door? This is not going to be a concourse restored truck. My plan is to keep it looking like a current farm use truck, but dependable. After this my next big job on it will be king pins and bushings. Radiator, engine, clutch, brakes and wiring have all been done. Seats are in the works. Just covers as the springs and frames are good. Thanks for the advice.
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:48 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Door Hinge repair

Any one of those solutions can be done, but with varying success on alignment once reinstalled. If it were my farm truck, I'd want the hinge fastened securely, but would also be forever sorry if the door were not aligned correctly for functionality and aesthetics.
I would begin by removing the inner upholstery panels, floormat, seat, and door window, then get the door latch in top working order, and wedge, push, pull, pry, and shim the door in the closed position to perfect alignment.
Now, working from the inside of the car standing on your head, use a nibbler to get at the meat of the problem, and a wire welder to tack new braces and hinge together with old weak door frame.
Once it's all tacked together, take out your temporary shims and such, and try out your handiwork. When satisfied, finish welding her up and slap some paint on it.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
Owlseye

I have already made sure the door will fit if lifted onto the dove tail. There is just so much metal damaged or missing in that area of the door it is going to take a patch panel being welded and redrilled. Since the window channel seems in the way inside the door, I was thinking of over laying the panel on the outside. Grinding it smooth and using either counter sunk bolts or round head bolts to attach the hinge to the door. Was thinking if I used round head bolts and tapped the hinge arm that it would leave some room for adjustment to pull in the bottom if needed. The top hinge is perfect. Just need to strengthen the door body and space the hinge properly so that it raises the door just a bit and tucks it in. Can I thread the door hinge? Is there enough metal thickness to support the threads and stress? Thank you.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:05 PM   #4
Owlseye

OK the door is repaired. Cut out the damaged part of the door body. Salvaged the inner door brace at the bottom of the door. Since the door would not come off the truck I did all the repairs in place. Bought a piece of 14 gauge metal. Trimmed it to the approximate size needed for width and overlapped the hinge area by 3 inches above and below the hinge. Drilled out the rivets in the door hinge and tapped them for 5/16-24 thread. Drilled the patch panel for the bolts to go thru, elongated to allow for adjustment horizontally. Drilled the hole for the door stop strap to pass thru. Took the lower inner brace and placed it inside the door. Drilled 6 1/8" holes in the door body to spot weld the brace in place thru them. Flanged the repair panel to match the door skin edge. For added strength I welded nuts to the inside of the door hinge. There is now a good 3/8" thick threads to hold the door load. 3 one inch 5/16-24 bolts with fender washers thru the patch to the hinge. Tighten enough so the the door can be adjusted inward, but will not slip when opened. Tack weld the edge of the plate in place to check fit. Good tight fit, nice body line. Finish weld the plate in place, trim panel to door shape. Grind welds smooth. Paint and undercoat the door repair. Now the door can be adjusted in and out for fit to body with the elongated slots in door if needed. Happy with the repair, now just need new window channel felts so glass does not rattle. Next project.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:26 PM   #5
ford38v8

Great job! Glad you got it done and even more glad to read your feedback. Now all we need is pictures of your truck!
Old 05-16-2020, 11:38 PM   #6
Owlseye

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
They are coming. I did post some of it pre purchase over a year ago. How do I find or post more pictures?
Old 05-17-2020, 12:00 AM   #7
Brian

Good on you! A lot of work- needs to be done, and sounds like you've done it well. Satisfying isn't it? the final product...especially when you're putting your own 'energy' into it- not paying someone.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:07 AM   #8
ford38v8

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255320

Here's what i found. I see the rustout in this picture. I hope you keep it in as near the same condition as these pics! Were you able to salvage the bed and stakes?
Old 05-17-2020, 11:35 PM   #9
Owlseye

Most of the side stakes were too far gone. The side slats are about 75% reclaimable. Trying to use reclaimed/aged wood for most of the work. The new wood I hope to stain as close as possible to the old colors. My aim is to keep the truck as a working survivor, not a hanger Queen. I like driving my vehicles, not collecting dust in a garage. It sat in a field in Montana since 1963 when it last ran. Not even in a barn.

Last edited by Owlseye; 05-17-2020 at 11:37 PM. Reason: error in sentence
Old 05-18-2020, 10:17 PM   #10
Newc

All the little good parts are there. frnt splash apron license brackets even the oil road flare kit. United Pacific makes all the cab parts. '33 is the last yr for that rear diff and those wheels. '34 used the floater diff. You're good to go. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:29 PM   #11
Owlseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
All the little good parts are there. frnt splash apron license brackets even the oil road flare kit. United Pacific makes all the cab parts. '33 is the last yr for that rear diff and those wheels. '34 used the floater diff. You're good to go. Newc
The road flare kit has never been lit or had fuel in them. I had to rebuild the front frame spreader as it was used as a pull bar at some point in life. That also tore the slash pan a bit, but welded it back together. I didn't know that 33 was the last year for the rear or wheels that I have. I do know that I have not found anyone that has the dual roller bearings for the rear drums.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #12
Zeke3

Thanks for the description of your repair, it should be very helpful. I have a similar repair to tackle on my 37 car doors.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote