Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Terry,OH

Default Coker excelsior radial tires experience

Any one have the Coker radial excelsior stahl tires can tell me about any noise or handling issues with this tire? How is the ride?

Last edited by Terry,OH; 07-11-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Roadster5040

Default Re: Coker excelsior radial tires experience

Great tires no issues. I have a set on 37 they ride and handle great.
Roadster5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
my4dv8

Love the cokers on our 32 , don't know much about the excelsior s.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
J & D

Great tires, I have at least 15,000 miles on mine, on a 29 roadster. I am not running tubes in them. Thanks, John.
J & D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
woodiewagon46

We talked about this about a month ago. Sorry to disagree with Roadster5040 and my4dv8 but after less than 15,000 my Kokers looked like a serious under inflation problem both front and rear, even though I faithfully keep the pressure at 35psi. When I showed a picture of the tires to the Koker people at Hershey I was told Kokers are for "show cars" and not drivers. This was told to several other people who also logged on. When the Kokers that I have on the car now fail and believe it or not at about 10K they are showing the same wear pattern, I am switching to Diamondbacks!
woodiewagon46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
woodiewagon46

Check out the discussion on the H.A.M.B about Diamondbacks>
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
felix37

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
We talked about this about a month ago. Sorry to disagree with Roadster5040 and my4dv8 but after less than 15,000 my Kokers looked like a serious under inflation problem both front and rear, even though I faithfully keep the pressure at 35psi. When I showed a picture of the tires to the Koker people at Hershey I was told Kokers are for "show cars" and not drivers. This was told to several other people who also logged on. When the Kokers that I have on the car now fail and believe it or not at about 10K they are showing the same wear pattern, I am switching to Diamondbacks!
Woodie, the question asked if you had experience with Coker's Excelsior Stahl Radials? do you have experience with the Excelsiors?.....It seams every time the word Coker is mentioned you come out bad mouthing! with your bogus story about Coker employee's telling you that their tires were for "show cars" only. If you are the original purchaser of the tires, you will have a customer number and they will have record of your purchase. They have a no hassle guarantee! and they didn't become the worlds largest antique tire co. by screwing people over.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
woodiewagon46

Sorry to hit a nerve Felix but That is what was told to me AND several other people who logged on. The Koker rep told me that there was nothing he could do for me, so I don't know where you heard about their "no hassle " guarantee. This is a clear problem with there tires because I don't know how both front and rear tires would show the same wear pattern. I just think that tires should last more than 15,000 miles.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
FRITZ47

I have had nothing but good luck with Coker Tires (not spelled Koker by the way). I have them on both show cars and drivers.

Fritz
FRITZ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #10
47Merc

I am also interested in this.

woodiewagon46 you haven't answered the question from Felix.

Were the Coker tires you bought "Excelsior Stahl Radials"?
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Sorry to hit a nerve Felix but That is what was told to me AND several other people who logged on. The Koker rep told me that there was nothing he could do for me, so I don't know where you heard about their "no hassle " guarantee. This is a clear problem with there tires because I don't know how both front and rear tires would show the same wear pattern. I just think that tires should last more than 15,000 miles.
Maybe the problem was you bought their cheap Chinese knockoff competitor (Koker) and not true Cokers.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
B-nut

Terry, OH. Two sets of Excelsior radials here on 35 and 36 Fords.They steer effortlessly, handle very well and don't follow the cracks in the road as some tires do. Have only about 5000 miles on them so far. My quite experienced tire shop cursed some trying to fit Coker's inner tubes and I wound up with other tubes. I also run a set of Diamondback radial smoothies on a 35 Ford (with out any tubes) and like them very much. I just keep wishing they were Excelsiors. Really prefer the look of the Excelsior over the Diamondback. Sorry to disappoint all you Coker critics out there.Go ahead and buy any tires you want but I'm sticking with my Excelsiors.
B-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Vic Piano

As far as tires from Coker go, I've had good and bad luck. Good luck with their radial 600x16 and bias ply 700x16 but bad luck (excessive wear in a short time, under 10,000 miles on two sets) with their Firestone 600x16's bias ply. Years ago I was also told by Coker that their tires are not for "drivers" but should be used on "show cars"... The last set of Coker tires I bought are the 600x16's that I have mounted on our '39 CS. I've put a lot of miles on them and the only problem I've had has to do with the radial tubes... I've had several go flat due to the valve stem pinching on the rim. As a result, I've been running the tires on the original wide five rims without tubes, with not trouble so far (at least 3,500 miles).
Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
woodiewagon46

The tires that are in question are Coker (sorry about the misspelling) Classic Whitewalls, P235/75R15 rears and P215/75R15 fronts. At less than 15,000 miles the outside and inside of all four tires were worn so thin that I was afraid to drive the car. Alignment is perfect and the air pressure is always kept at Cokers recommended 35psi. I have been building collector cars since 1962 and never had a wear problem like this. From now on when I purchase collector car tires I will ask " is this tire compound recommended for every day use" and "what reasonable mileage can I expect to get from these tires". I'm not rich and can't afford to lay out almost a grand for tires every 15.000 miles. As far as the guarantee is concerned, the Coker people I talked to at Hershey did absolutely nothing for me. Perhaps the Excelsiors are a better tire.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
cmbrucew

Tire stores/recappers should have a tire rubber durometer.
This will show the hardness of the rubber. A rubber band will be about 25, a door seal about 55, and an automobile tire about 70.
When we bought new Catapillars they came with a durometer of 55. which did not last long, but when I had them recapped I had them use 70 durometer caps which lasted longer. I was not concerned about a soft ride, but service life.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
john in illinois

I have Coker Classic radials on my model A. I drive at highway speeds and like the tires.

Last month I received 2 classic black walls for my AV8 that had a 2005 date code-8 years old. Check the codes.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #17
TJ

If they have an 05 date code I would send them back. Some shops will not mount tires that are that old regardless if they are new or not.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
Buckelew

I'm running Coker radials on the front of my T flathead V8 roadster. Have approximately 15,000 miles on them and they look almost new. Seriously, there's no wear.

I have had problems with the Stahl Sport Radials, but the rims may be the cause of that.
Buckelew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #19
Buckelew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
...I've had several go flat due to the valve stem pinching on the rim.
Whenever my tube valve stems have been pinched, it's been due to too little air pressure in the tire and too much pressure on the gas pedal.
Buckelew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #20
Marv

Smile Re: Coker excelsior radial tires experience

Quote:
I have a set of Goodyear radials on my 2007 impala with 35 psi. I went to 40 ps. to try. I had sveral sets of Armstrong tires 20 some yedars ago and i could not get them to wear right and they were the recomended size tires for the vehickles. Just plain junk. None of them blew out , just wore out. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote