Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2019, 09:23 PM   #21
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Best coil to use with a petronix ign

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Yep paint it red and put a MSD sticker on it.......

Hate to tell you Bubba but your wrong. As I wrote in my above post the correct Pertronix coil will work perfectly. Since I use the products i speak of Im more than sure about what I post! However I know your the ignition expert so dont take this the wrong way but once again i use the products with great success as well as install the same on many engines i build and have built for others with no failures guess i must be lucky. Heck my experience has only included a couple of cross country drives with complete success and no Pertronix ignition issues well over 13,000 miles in high heat and many hours at highway speeds powered by a good old reliable vintage Ford Flathead block with a lot of power adding modifications. Just saying.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 05-01-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:20 AM   #22
flatheadmurre

One thing is that it will work...next is if you need it and gain anything from it.
Using the hottest coil that draw twice the current just makes your generator work harder if you donīt need it.
Using the extra 4A of currrent is 11% of the generators capacity.
Running an ignition module harder will shorten itīs life...cause heat will shorten the lifespan of electronic stuff.
What brand of coil you like to use is a matter of taste and what you have had good luck with...as long as itīs sized for the job...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #23
BUBBAS IGNITION

Ronnie , I agree with your posts etc , but i said nothing "wrong" in my reply! Its not that pertronixs makes a bad coil , its the issue with using the wrong coil for the application !!!
People buy the low resistance coil and it ends up causing a failure of the module.
I speak of this not from a one time deal but tons of calls and products sent to the shop that just didnt work out. Customer either comes in , emails or posts on a forum engine has no spark. Some lay the distributor on the counter and you can smell the failure of a smoked module.
99% of the time this failure was caused by the incorrect coil being used. MSD, Acell and Mallory fall into this discussion as well.
My post was to inform the uninformed as to the dangers of using a incorrect coil NOT to slam Pertronixs. And in no way was it considered wrong !!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #24
50fordcoupeman

I have somewhat limited experience with the Pertronix units. I am using it on 3 FE engines for the last several years without a single failure. I have had failures with points set up. One set of points actually came apart inside the distributor. I understand using a conventional ignition on a correct restoration but since mine are not I prefer the electronics.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:19 PM   #25
fordor41

I've used pertronix Ignitor1 with a stock Ford coil from a junk yard with no problems for about 10 yrs. Ignitor finally went belly up in my garage. Long story short was coil was bad and fried the ignition. Tried my spare coil and same results. Sent both Ignitors to Pertronix and they replaced both free with instructions on how to test my coil. Coil was bad and so was the new spare I had been carrying around in the trunk for years, just in case! Bought an aftermarket Ford coil from a parts store and good to go for another 10 yrs until we sold the car.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:29 AM   #26
tubman

I did a complete "standard" tune up (plugs, points, condenser, cap and rotor) when I got my '51 in 1987. I got all the parts from NAPA. In 2017, the original engine started making a funny noise so I pulled that engine out and replaced it with a '51 Mercury I had ready to go. All of the parts I bought in 1987 were still in the engine, and I had traveled a little over 20,000 in that time.

I stuck the distributor on a shelf. Tomorrow, just for the heck of it, I'm going to dig it out and take a look at the points, cap, and rotor. It should be interesting.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:31 AM   #27
36rgtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I did a complete "standard" tune up (plugs, points, condenser, cap and rotor) when I got my '51 in 1987. I got all the parts from NAPA. In 2017, the original engine started making a funny noise so I pulled that engine out and replaced it with a '51 Mercury I had ready to go. All of the parts I bought in 1987 were still in the engine, and I had traveled a little over 20,000 in that time.

I stuck the distributor on a shelf. Tomorrow, just for the heck of it, I'm going to dig it out and take a look at the points, cap, and rotor. It should be interesting.
Pretty much is going to look like any other points, cap, and rotor with 20,000 miles on them.
36rgtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:48 AM   #28
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36rgtop View Post
Pretty much is going to look like any other points, cap, and rotor with 20,000 miles on them.
I suppose so, but since I don't know what that looks like, I'm still going to do it. It will be interesting (at least to me) to see the condition of the points in particular.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #29
34PKUP

Quote:
I suppose so, but since I don't know what that looks like, I'm still going to do it. It will be interesting (at least to me) to see the condition of the points in particular.
And of course you are going to check the condition of the points via a Dwell Meter?
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #30
Mike51Merc

I'm running 6V Pertronix 1 on positive ground. I also have several 6V NOS coils, both OEM and aftermarket. For several years I chased a high RPM misfire and experimented with the carbs and swapping coils, plugs, and wires until I finally got a Pertronix 0.6 ohm coil. Now it runs better than ever.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #31
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
And of course you are going to check the condition of the points via a Dwell Meter?
I don't know what you are trying to get at here, but to explain myself further, I will examine them visually (perhaps using a magnifying glass) to see how much pitting and material transference has taken place. I also have access to a professional grade capacitor tester, so I'll check the condenser out as well. The original coil is still in use on the car, so I know it's OK.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #32
34PKUP

Quote:
I don't know what you are trying to get at here, but to explain myself further, I will examine them visually (perhaps using a magnifying glass) to see how much pitting and material transference has taken place. I also have access to a professional grade capacitor tester, so I'll check the condenser out as well. The original coil is still in use on the car, so I know it's OK.
Trying to find out how much due to wear of rub block plus point build up factor, the original correct setting (dwell) has changed. (if any)
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #33
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
Trying to find out how much due to wear of rub block plus point build up factor, the original correct setting (dwell) has changed. (if any)
Which was why, back in the day, adjusting the points (if they were not excessively pitted), was a part of a tune-up. If the points were excessively pitted, they were filed down (I still have 3 or 4 different point files) or replaced. If the were otherwise good, the gap was adjusted back to factory specifications. I don't think I even saw a dwell meter until the mid-sixties. Certainly no one I knew back then owned one.