Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
NormC

Default Which Transmission to Use?

I am new to the "Barn" and to the Flathead. I have finally been able to purchase a childhood dream of mine, 1936 Pick-Up. I replaced the 36LB which had cracks in the block in a couple of places, beyond economical repair. I installed a 46' 59A in its place. The question and help I need with is which transmission should I use? T5, F150 or Mitchell overdrive. So I am looking for arguing points for each option. The truck has the original banjo rearend and I am not sure of the gearing ratio. I look forward to your opinions and suggestions and comments!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (55.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg photo1.JPG (136.3 KB, 155 views)
NormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Shadetree

Default Re: Which Transmission to Use?

Tough decision. T5's are nice but the Mitchell overdrive permits you to use your original transmission.

I changed the differential gears to a 3.54 in my `35 and love it! I would guess your truck has a 4.11. I am not famililar with the F150 transmission. 5 speed?

BTW that is one gorgeous pickup!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
deuce lover

I vote for the T5.Full synchro,no leaks.You'll have to get the open drive conversion if you keep the stock banjo rear.Other things to do but for me was well worth it.Krylon32 on here sells all the adapters and info.Mitchell probably the simplest and less work.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

On My 36 I havn't fully decided about the engine (LB,59ab with4"crank, or the 53 merc that I have), the trans is an original case with 46 gears, and the 4:11 stock rear with Columbia ---I like the reliability of the closed driveshaft, and after having a 46, and 39 the safety and reliability of the mechanical brakes on the 36 is why I chose the 36 over the 46 and 39

Having to chop out parts of the frame to put in a T5 or other non original trans is is not something I would do to my car, if I didn't have the columbia I would put in a mitchell
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
VeryTangled

Last summer we switched our '36 Phaeton from 4.11 to 3.78 and went from straining at 55 to okay at about 64! (Hope Dad can't see the spedo! ) If you wish for more mph I'd suggest the overdrive unit. Many people swear by them, and you are keeping it period correct, which I'd always vote for.

I can't help but to say I'm a truck guy. My daily driver for at least the last thirty years has had a tailgate.

Love the spotlight! Very neat engine bay.

I think the rear ratio is stamped on the bottom of the banjo?!?

-VT/Jeff
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
Bassman/NZ

Mitchell has the least amount of work to do to to install, involves next to no cutting of original vehicle, but.... you still will not have a synchro on first and a slow synchro on 2nd, plus the stock trans is a bit fragile.
T5 and F150 both have a lot of work to install, and involve a fair amount of modification of your crossmember etc. Both can be made to work with a torque tube if you dont want open drive.... the advantages of course are full and fast synchros and pretty much bulletproof behind a flathead. T5 obviously has the advantage of the extra gear, but the disadvantage of the shifter being further back, even with the S10 model. F150 has the advantage of the shifter being only about 2" back from stock, and is a bit easier to convert to torque tube.
Your call....

Or.... you could just change the rear end gears out to 3.78 or 3.54.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
columbiA

Both my model A,s have Columbia OD,s with 4.11 gears & 2.94 OD ratio.I also had one of them in a 33 coupe for 15 years before I converted it back to fit the A.Easy cruising at 60 with low RPM.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
Fe26

The question we all face is; how do I want to drive my vehicle, where do I want to drive it, and, how fast do I want to go?

For an all day every day Highway driver, the T5 will be the way to go.
For a little less driving, the Mitchell.
A modest amount of driving with some Highway driving, nothing wrong with a good Three Speed.

There is a relationship between time, effort and money here. If you expend what you need to, you'll have something right for you.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
NormC

Thanks guys for the feedback. I guess that I will start off with changing the rearend gearing. Not sure yet which ratio to use, 3.54 or 3.78. I am kinda leaning towards the 3.54 but not yet convinced.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Pete

One of the best ways to find out what transmission is best for you is to find people with cars that have the ones you want to try and get them to let you drive them.
With the proper social etiquette and the offer of a beer or free lunch it is usually no problem.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
Butch11443

My 31 pickup (A-V8) has a 3:27 gear. With a 29 tooth cluster it works very well. 2400 RPM at 60 MPH.
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
cvstl

Tough call, but a Columbia would be a nice period correct piece, if cost is not a big deal.
cvstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #13
deuce_roadster

If you do a lot of hill driving I would try the 3.78s, if it is mainly flat use the 3.55s. I have them in my roadster and it has plenty of lugging power in 2nd gear even when slow. I think changing the ring and pinion is the least costly route for you. Good luck NICE TRUCK by the way!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
gmc1941

It all revolves around time, money and modifications. Modifying means time less driving, and frustration. Money = have someone do it for you. Or the satisfaction of doing it your self with alot of frustration. Fun to drive T5, fun to drive and looks period correct F150 (sleeper) and period correct and a cruiser at 60mph Mitchell. Best of luck and happy motoring.

Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
phartman

I am going to say to switch out the rear gear, leave the original transmission in it, and just be careful where you drive the pickup. Interstate and freeway driving is just not smart these days, and I'll tell you why.

We just installed a 3 speed + overdrive in my '61 Ford, and it will cruise easily at 65mph. But around here, the interstate speeds are now at 70 mph, and most everybody is rolling at closer to 80mph. If I am going 70- which is about as fast as I want to go in a car with drum brakes, no airbag and minimal other safety features- it is still 10 mph slower than most everybody around me.

Consequently, if I am forced to drive on the interstate, I will consider it in the '61 but stay in the right lane.

My '34 pickup? No way I'm getting out there at all. I just won't do it anymore.

So I'd change the rear gear, use the original tranny, and stay on the secondary roads. "Intended usage" is an important phrase. These pickups just aren't designed to do 70-80 mph, T5 or not.
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
NormC

Well I am convinced that I should change the ring and pinion. I have no desire to take my truck out on the interstate, not safe. I am looking to be able to comfortably run about 55mph tops. I will encounter some hills but not those of the "Rockies" size. Most of the driving will be of the rolling hill terrain. Thanks for all of comments. This has been a lot of fun learning about these "Early Fords"
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
Adam/Mill Valley CA

I run my '36 pickup with a 3:78 rear end routinely on the freeway, comfortably at 55-58mph, in the right hand lane. Where I live (SF Bay Area), highway driving is pretty much unavoidable. Is it safe, in the modern sense? No. On the other hand, I spend a lot of time riding motorcycles and that's not safe, either-everyone has to do that kind of calculus for themselves. I certainly would not be interested in any modifications to allow the truck to cruise at 65-70; the original brakes/suspension are nowhere near competent for that.

Adam
1970 911E 2.2 litre dark blue/black
1968 BMW R50/2 US, black (m'cycle)
1967 Triumph TR6R , sea foam/cream (m'cycle)
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 red (m'cycle)
1974 Honda CB750 red (m'cycle)
2000 Kawasaki W650 blue/silver (m'cycle)
Adam/Mill Valley CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #18
Brendan

dose your pickup still have mechanical brakes? if it dose you might not wont to change the rearend or trans. I have a 36 pickup with 411 rear and mechanical brakes. I drive it all over, i just take back roads i think if you change the rear end or the trans you will be going to fast. just my opinion...Brendan

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
cvstl

If cruising at 55 is good, then 3.78s should be good.... and there are plenty of good complete 3.78 rear ends around for pretty cheap. Much easier (and cheaper) to swap one out than to change the ring and pinion IMHO.
cvstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
Kurt in NJ

If all you want is 55 don't do anything, it should be able to do 55 all day long, in the 70s, 80s we had a 39 sedan with a 60hp, it had the 4:44 rear, no problem driving 65 all day, run the length of the parkway at 70 many times---if it had the safe reliable mechanical brakes of the 36 I would still have it.

A used 3:78 is probably the cheapest if you are set on making a change
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #21
phartman

My '34 had mechanical brakes, which I found to be waaaaaay too exciting. I used this fellow's kit to convert to juice, and it worked like a charm. And he is a wonderful source of guidance and thought:

http://www.earlyv8garage.qpg.com/

The '34 has the 3:78 rear and it is ok, but next time around, I will switch out to the 3:54. At 55mph it's ok, but just ok. All things considered, the 3.78 or even a 4:11 rear with the Mitchell Overdrive would be superb, but as stated earlier, I'm just gonna stay off the Interstates these days.
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #22
tierod

Talking Re: Which Transmission to Use?

Like your battery location. Beats under the floor!
tierod is offline   Reply With Quote