Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2021, 03:17 PM   #1
Ron Pilger

Default help with Model A market values

I've been toying with early V8 Fords for the last twenty years and haven't followed the Model A market extensively. I'd like to get some feedback as to rough market value of a couple of 28 Model A's. The Special Coupe was redone in the in the 60's and the lacquer paint needs a complete redo. Last ran 10 years ago. The Roadster has been parked for sixty years. Engine turns over. mostly complete. I value all opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928 Ford Model A right rear.jpg (137.9 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg 1928 Ford model a drivers front.jpg (49.3 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg 1928 Ford Model A Roadster passenger side.jpg (96.9 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg 1928 Model A Roadster rear view.jpg (116.6 KB, 186 views)
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:22 PM   #2
Ron Pilger

Default Re: help with Model A market values

here is another view of the Roadster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roadster pix.jpg (89.9 KB, 143 views)
Old 03-29-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
Ranchero50

The market is a mess thanks to the hot rod crowd. You can't price a vehicle fairly that needs restored because it'll get gobbled up by them or the rat rod guys for it's patina. Fully restored cars are worth 80-90% of the cost of restoration if they started out as decent drivers.

It's a real bummer...
Old 03-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #4
ronn

I would start at 7500. for your coupe and 6500 for the roadster and work down from there. that is with not getting them started or doing anything to them.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:36 PM   #5
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

I would agree with ronn's assessment.
fried okra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
Ron Pilger

any other opinions? i'd like to determine an average after hearing ten or more viewpoints. Thx.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:19 PM   #7
McMimmcs

Better photographs would help immensely! Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:14 PM   #8
CWPASADENA

I am thinking 6K for the Coupe and and 4K for the Roadster. The Coupe appears to be complete but you do not know the condition of the engine, is it stuck and has water in the cylinders or? Best case on the coupe is to be able to clean the tank, put a battery and gas and water in it and it will run. Then you are mainly down to the cosmetics. Worse case is an engine rebuild, and everything else and then you still have the cosmetics.

The Roadster looks like a real project with no floor and back panel and who knows what else.

Again, this it just my opinion.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:11 AM   #9
PotvinV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchero50 View Post
The market is a mess thanks to the hot rod crowd. You can't price a vehicle fairly that needs restored because it'll get gobbled up by them or the rat rod guys for it's patina. Fully restored cars are worth 80-90% of the cost of restoration if they started out as decent drivers.

It's a real bummer...
I would say the market EXISTS thanks to the hot rod crowd. How many guys are out there actively looking for a Model A to restore as opposed to hot rod?

Look at the prices stock restorations go for versus hot rods.

To the OP's question, I purchased a stock running / driving '30 coupe with decent paint and interior for $9500 and a decent '29 roadster body for $3500 in Southern California.

Factoring in the smaller market and such, I would think the coupe would be priced around $6,000 and the roadster $4000.

Unfortunately, the Model A stuff doesn't command as high a price as the later Early Ford stuff. For example, a rolling Model A chassis goes for pennies on the dollar.
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:58 AM   #10
Wick

Here in Virginia because they are both 28s 4,000 for the coupe,3,500 for the roadster. That's where I would have to be with the intention of putting them on the road. I would then have the value above the rat rodders price range when drivable. The cars would be safe then.
I saw a nice 29 Roadster go to a contractor for $4,500 last year. He made a offer to a family member when he was looking at a job. The car is blown apart sitting outside rusting now.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:06 AM   #11
Synchro909

To me, those values are very low but I am in a different market. It's a pity it's so difficult to get anything shipped out of the US now or I'd be interested in some of those deals myself. The time it would take to get anything here is a BIG negative. I am still waiting for a parcel that was delivered to the shipper's warehouse on 31st July last year and another shipment is still on the dock after 8 weeks waiting for a ship to get a full load.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:05 AM   #12
ronn

Synch, when you tack on your shipping costs- the bargain isnt such a bargain.

Ron, I am guessing you are hoping for higher numbers, but there is too much cost incurred to get them up to snuff. Rodders as mentioned, are the market for these, esp the roadster.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:49 AM   #13
Oldbluoval

I’m with Wick but even that is top of the market
IMHO
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:17 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchero50 View Post

It's a real bummer...
The market is not really a mess IMHO. I can make a great a argument that it is 'Restorers' that have brought this amongst themselves. Frugality and a 'half-ass' approach to restoration by many has caused the "restored" cars to be known as unreliable and undesirable. Financial expectations are unrealistic for many hobbyists.

Your second comment makes me just shake my head. The mentality that something must be worth more than what someone spent on it is absurd, ...especially in this hobby. If you go to a restaurant for dinner this evening, I guarantee within 24 hours your meal will not be worth what you paid for it. Matter of fact, go to WalMart or any big box store for that matter. Purchase any product on their shelves and use it once or twice, -and generally speaking, it will not be worth what you gave for it! So given those two examples, why is there a mindset to not spend more than it is worth? . THIS in a nutshell is what has killed this hobby.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:38 AM   #15
Bob Bidonde

In my opinion, the high cost of a restoration cannot be gotten back in a sale price unless the car has a spectacular heritage / rareness. So restoring a Model "A" needs to be an act of enthusiasm and love of the vehicle. Those who restore Model "A's" as an investment are in for shock awakening. This opinion is easily seen at the major car auctions such as Barrett Jackson, Mecum, etc. where cars costing well over $100,000 to build sell way down in the weeds for under $50,000.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:52 AM   #16
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
Here in Virginia because they are both 28s 4,000 for the coupe,3,500 for the roadster. That's where I would have to be with the intention of putting them on the road. I would then have the value above the rat rodders price range when drivable. The cars would be safe then.
I saw a nice 29 Roadster go to a contractor for $4,500 last year. He made a offer to a family member when he was looking at a job. The car is blown apart sitting outside rusting now.
Wick
An outsiders opinion from someone that doesnt own a Model A. I have been looking at 'A's for quite a few years now. Someday I will own one (came very close about a month ago!!). I think Wick's asessment is fair as a buy in price. A seller may want to get more, and may very well get more. But IF I had the money in my hand at this moment I wouldnt offer more than 7k for the both of them. The coupe needs A LOT of work, the roadster well, from a newbie who doesnt know what all it needs can be a bottomless pit. Now, I have seen a trend that it seems the prices of these cars seems to be on the rise again (they kind of ebb and flow) and a nicely restored coupe can be had for I would surmise in the 15k-20k range. So before I would spend 7k+ for a project that needs another 10k-15k put into it, I would look for a nice car that I can drive much sooner than the 5 year wait on a restoration.
Good Luck with them.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:08 AM   #17
fundytides

My perspective is that most of the real "old car guys" are collectors, not investors and are motivated by attraction to a particular vehicle and the satisfaction that comes from rebuilding/restoring a car that they are drawn to so that it can be made into a reliable driver or a show car. Speaking from my own experience, cost of rebuilding/restoring an antique car is limited by my budget and my attraction to the particular car, not by what will be it's market value when I am done. I am currently finishing a 31 A roadster, as a driver, that I bought and drove in my university days. When I am done, I will probably have more in the car than what I can buy a similarly refurbished car for (not counting many hours of blood sweat and tears) but it will be my car with my history. I also have a 1951 Standard Vanguard that was sold new by my father's dealership in 51. The money that I spend or have spent on this car will never be recovered as the value/desirability of this car, in this market is very low. However, to me the car is priceless. Other vehicles that I have, were acquired for similar reasons and give me great satisfaction. Just my two cents worth!
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:32 AM   #18
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundytides View Post
My perspective is that most of the real "old car guys" are collectors, not investors and are motivated by attraction to a particular vehicle and the satisfaction that comes from rebuilding/restoring a car that they are drawn to so that it can be made into a reliable driver or a show car. Speaking from my own experience, cost of rebuilding/restoring an antique car is limited by my budget and my attraction to the particular car, not by what will be it's market value when I am done. I am currently finishing a 31 A roadster, as a driver, that I bought and drove in my university days. When I am done, I will probably have more in the car than what I can buy a similarly refurbished car for (not counting many hours of blood sweat and tears) but it will be my car with my history. I also have a 1951 Standard Vanguard that was sold new by my father's dealership in 51. The money that I spend or have spent on this car will never be recovered as the value/desirability of this car, in this market is very low. However, to me the car is priceless. Other vehicles that I have, were acquired for similar reasons and give me great satisfaction. Just my two cents worth!
I’m with you!

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:42 AM   #19
McMimmcs

I myself am unskilled and unable to complete any restoration therefore the two vehicles are worthless to me. I buy many vehicles but only after someone else has invested blood, sweat and tears and lots of cash. Then I buy at a price that is much depreciated from his investment.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:46 AM   #20
Ron Pilger

Thank you fundytides for your view. You echo my mindset. My '34 Fords have been built with passion for them, not end value.