Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2022, 08:41 AM   #1
CatMan1

Default Parking Brake Rods

I have many, many questions..... Thanks for all your patience! I want to make sure this car is ready before I take it out on it's first drive. For some reason the left side Parking Brake Rod is not installed and is in a packing tube. The right side is hooked up. I know I can look at it, but I want to be sure that it's done right before ordering parts for the left side. Is there an online source for a parts breakdown of this assembly?
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:08 AM   #2
rickd

Default Re: Parking Brake Rods

The MTFCA Forum site has a Vowell diagram section. There are brake diagrams posted there. Langs also has a good brake system diagram in their paper catalog. I don't know if its online.
rickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:30 AM   #3
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickd View Post
The MTFCA Forum site has a Vowell diagram section. There are brake diagrams posted there. Langs also has a good brake system diagram in their paper catalog. I don't know if its online.

I think I see them now. Thanks!
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:06 PM   #4
redmodelt

If you don't have them, get the parts catalogs from Langs, Snyders and Chaffins. Not everything in the catalogs is online.
Next, they all sell reprints of a number of repair books for the Ford Model T. Start with the "Ford Service" and Ford Parts book for the year of car or get the 1928 reprint.
Sometimes it a lot faster to find information with book in hand, along with being able to look at the pictures.
Old 04-05-2022, 06:50 PM   #5
39portlander

probably my favorite reference is the Model T Ford owner by Murray Fahnstock, and the Vowel art exploded views are great.

Hopefully there is a local MTFCA club near you and some fellas only a few golf strokes away to get some pictures of other T's to use as a referece.

Another good book is Milt Webbs rebuilding a ruckstell and how to drive a T, has some good pointers in settting up the rear brake adjustement.

E-brake @ 12 O'clock and there should be just a slight drag on the drums as the brake cams begin to move the brake shoe. There is a lot going on and worn rear hubs as in my case were another problem related to rear brake adjustment.

I have a set of Rocky Mountain brakes I will be setting up on my Fordor as soon as I get my wheels back from re-spoking, then I will be re-adjusting rear brakes. The fun never stops.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote