Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Not much demand for Model As at any price or is it antique cars in general?

The car market has been GROSSLY SCREWED UP by all the crazy TV AUCTIONS, etc. WHAT is really REAL & how much is MADE UP, to get high TV RATINGS, so they can sell their advertising time for BIG BUCKS $$$$$$$$$$?
Bill W.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #22
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Not much demand for Model As at any price or is it antique cars in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Ray, that has indeed been the trend with VW busses, the prices are going thru the roof for good ones. The Hippies from the 60's who condemned the Establishment and their $$, now are awash in cash themselves from structured corporate mergers, banking malfeasance, dope sales, whatever they do with their MBA's, and they want to spend on their memories
agreed, people at retirement age now were born late 40's early 50's. when they could drive and own a car it was 1968. Think of all the muscle cars and hot rods that were coming out around that time period, all these retired guys that could never afford the 1970 chevelle 454, or dodge charger, z28 camaro what have you can now possibly afford these cars and they've done their midlife crisis and see the inevitable end of the road and want to live in the now so to speak, their not interested to spend the next 5-10 years restoring one.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #23
pooch

I was astounded that all I got in 3 months was 1 phone call from Hemmings online and one text message after it came out in The Restorer. Happily the phone call was local to me and the buyer bought it 15 minutes after he left after looking at it. He paid the asking price as it was already ridiculously low vs anything out there. It was however the least I would take. I need the space.

May I ask how old was the buyer......this may give a clue .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #24
ronn

the mkt is soft for most American cars...........

pretty much sums it up about our economy.

Germany has been doing well financially and are buying back their "old" cars.

as Steve said, the 190s, vws and porsches are on a tear..................
all overpriced in my opinion.

listed 12 items on ebay last weekend- four were cars. sold one car...........

buyer went mia.

that is why I am only a buyer these days, nothing to sell unless you want to give it away.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #25
Lefthander1930

Winter bad time to sell a roadster, great time to buy old cars from us seniors, 73 & still kicking
Lefthander1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #26
2manycars

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I think the prices of the model A vary a lot, and probably should vary even more. A properly and accuratly restored model A might sell for 20 -25K, and it would cost twice or three times that to restore, so a good price. On the other hand, there are a lot of cars offered that are poor restorations, cosmetic resprays, odd colors, strange interiors, and so on, that are overpriced compared to correct cars. I looked at a coupe last week that was a solid car with a nice paint job, rebuilt motor, and new tires. It was one color green, no second color, a plastic tape stripe, poorly installed roof, really bad interior, and it sold for $11,500. A fair price, but imagine what it would cost to make the car what a restored one should be. Cheaper to buy the expensive one if one wants a correct car. If only looking for something to drive and have fun, then a good price.
Another factor is the guy who recently died, and told his wife all those years that he was spending money on the car because it would be worth X, and now the family has the car offered for X or more, and it is sadly not worth that money.
I found a really nice coupe, just what I am looking for, and the price was good, but it is on the other side of the country, so it would cost at least a couple thousand to get it here.
As my father used to say, the car is worth what the buyer is willing to pay.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #27
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
. . .Model A prices are pretty flat, and VW bus prices are ridiculous. . . .
Same here! Check these babies . . .

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/.../#.VkuUeXYrLIU

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/.../#.VkuU-nYrLIU

... and on the other hand, you can afford three or four 20s cars for the same money!

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/.../#.VkuVt3YrLIU
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #28
mshmodela

So if you want a unibody VW, open your wallet... they have their charm but a Model A for me has a lot more.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #29
mhsprecher

I have been lucky to buy a couple of Model As, old restorations, for pretty reasonable prices. I just bought two V8s and probably should have held out for the lower price I offered, but I liked them just too much. And they were local. None of this hundreds of miles to look at and fetch a car.

I am still shocked by how much 30s V8s go for. I am also surprised at how reasonable non-Ford antiques are. As many have said, the Model A demographic is aging and that will probably affect prices.

I grew up in the 60s and have no interest in a car from that era. I am not even so hot for 50s cars, but would own up to a 56 Ford.

My first on the road car was a 56 Chevy and I have almost no interest in buying one of them. That is me. I have always done things a little differently.

Mr. T, I am waiting for woodies to get cheaper. Model A woodies aren't too bad, but the 30s flatties are still to dear for this MBA who is still working.
mhsprecher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #30
barkleydave

The car market has always been trendy... what is hot today...is cold tomorrow. I have bought my share of rides over the years. Never was a flipper so never made a dime.. but lost many more.

Take out of the market what is selling on TV auctions and cut to the chase. My truck is probably worth more than I have in it... however not enough where I would sell for the profit. Now trading for something of equal value and condition is another matter.

I like old cars! As an example I have a 57 MGA 1500 roadster in beautiful condition I have owned for 16 years. The restoration is older but looks almost as good as the day I completed it. It lives covered in a heated and air conditioned environment. I drive it occasionally to keep it happy and me... I would would like to trade for an equal Model A 1930/31 Tudor. Not because there is any reason to get rid of it other than... just a change.

I work on my cars but am not a restorer. I am getting too old to invest in the skill set and the tools etc. My priority is to enjoy them on the road.

Buy a car you want to enjoy. There is always a market for nice well maintained vehicles. If you overprice it your ad will go stale quickly. Market at a fair price and it will sell.

I found the best buys are within our clubs from members you know and cars you have seen on the road on tours.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #31
Slotblog

The value of an old car is related pretty closely to supply and demand. On the supply side, Model As pretty much top the chart. The demand side is where the numbers are dropping. As I've claimed before, considering the changing value of money over time, the more common Model As have been shrinking in value for some time and I don't see that trend changing. I didn't buy my A for an investment, though there are some body styles that are holding their value quite well or even appreciating.

Anyone following the greater collectible/old car market in recent years will have seen the incredible appreciation in value certain cars have achieved. IMO the more common cars that have less demand behind them are softening in value and I don't see that changing either.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #32
700rpm

I paid $125 for my Tudor in 1961. I spent about $1000 restoring it in 1980. Rebuilt the engine 4 years ago for $2200. I have spent more money on storage over 54 years than I have on the car! But I'm still ahead... I think. Anyway, I don't own the car anymore, it owns me.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #33
updraught

Those VW buses were good at damaging legs in an accident? A bit of tin and the VW badge with the drum brakes between you and the impact.

I bet they didn't advertise that ...

Last edited by updraught; 11-18-2015 at 09:37 AM.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #34
Rowdy
BANNED

While I have not tried to sell any completed cars, just parts. The economy still sucks. Things do not sell as fast as they did in 2005 that is for sure. There is still money to be made, just it takes longer. So dig your heels in and be patient. Rod
Old 11-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #35
Terry, NJ

It seems to me that A s and parts have gone way up like a rocket in the last two years. I saw a nice coupe brought home from Hershey for 19K, This guy never sells anything he doesn't make money on. Then I got my latest coupe for 8K, it's a very restorable #3 cond. with a good engine. I told my friend Ron, I'd sell coupe #2 (a30) for 9K if he finds someone. It's a low #3 but it runs ok and is a solid car that needs some body work and paint. This summer, He sold a 31 for 5500 that I wouldn't have touched for 2K, Didn't run, half the engine was missing. blah blah! You get the point.
However, If you know someone who'd like a hotrod, he has one of those too. A muchly modified street car with a SBC (327) and a GM (400) auto, trans. Finished! Doesn't need anything! Mint green w/pinstriping. I'll send pics if anyone wants, can be yours for 35K
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #36
Jeff/Illinois

Terry mentioned street rod values...... although I don't follow them a buddy that does told me once that you can really take a 'bath' on selling a street rod, that you can and will loose a ton of cash. They are preemo bucks if done right.

So, in relation to what kind of dollars Model A Fords sell and buy for, I guess we are looking at not being bit as badly fooling with stock Model A's as you would a street rod. Street Rods have a lot wider 'spread' in dollars over a stock Model A. Also, some of those rods running around are just out right dangerous, they depend upon how skillful the builder is in welding, etc. etc.

I watched a very rough '31 Roadster (negative #4 at the very best) sell at auction last Sept. for $7,000. It wasn't even good for a parts car in my opinion so you never know. Hadn't run since 1964, motor was froze up, no top, missing many parts just a ratty rusted shell on a stick
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #37
BILL WILLIAMSON

I, personally, would NEVER buy or sell another car on the Internet. I even received a $22,000.00 COUNTERFEIT check!! Read about it on MAFCA's SCAMS page! Also, when buying local, you can easily find out all the history of the car.
Bill W.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #38
ronn

dig your heels in and be patient. Rod

patience is a virtue that I just dont have and am not planning on "learning"..........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #39
Sunnybrook Farm

If one looks at some real new sources rather than the ones that read what the government issues, we and the world have just entered a recession and the graphs look very much like they did just prior to 2008. Most people have become scared to put out a lot of money, things are not good just look at Caterpillar which is a good global indicator.
I am fixing up an A to drive as I can't afford to buy another car and I need something I can work on rather than pay a mechanic. I don't have a clue how to work on my 10 year old car that is starting to fail. Luckily I live in a rural area where I can drive at Model A speeds to get to town.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #40
Pinesdune

It seems things are about the same up here, most cars that are bringing the buck$ are the ones that the baby boomer generation dreamed of owning/driving. Solid classics left original or restored just don't have much demand as most people don't have the common sense/knowhow to make an old car run and keep it maintained. The saddest point I've noticed is that due to the lowering of interest (and dollar value) in model A's and cars like her, is that way too often, good original cars are getting bought and chopped into hotrods because it's the "in" thing. If they're in the right hands and get completed, is one thing, but way too often it's some weekend warrior who tears them apart/chops them up and leaves them for dead and to me, that's sacrilegious!
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote