Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
mrtexas

Default Not much demand for Model As at any price or is it antique cars in general?

I recently sold my freshly restored 29 roadster. I had been advertising for 3 months in Hemmings, Fordbarn, my own website, Craigslist, and both Model A magazines. I cut out the crap on price and priced it a couple thousand $$ less than any other roadster out there. I couldn't find any 29 roadster out there for sale with a fresh restoration including new single stage paint, new lebarron bonney interior, new $2k brake rebuild, a nut and bolt restoration etc. The competition was asking $22-30k. The other ones were older restorations.

I was astounded that all I got in 3 months was 1 phone call from Hemmings online and one text message after it came out in The Restorer. Happily the phone call was local to me and the buyer bought it 15 minutes after he left after looking at it. He paid the asking price as it was already ridiculously low vs anything out there. It was however the least I would take. I need the space.

This sure stirred me up on how I will bargain for buying another antique car! No point in getting into a hurry or paying the asking price! Sure enough I'm getting another car this Friday but not a Model A. It is a Ford v8 woodie where there is more demand(however I see an increasing number of woodies for sale in "Woodie Times"). Everyone loves a woodie! Doubt I'll lose money if I ever sell as I bought it right for once.

I've also been looking at a restored but not "correct" in many ways 1955 Corvette for sale. It is priced at nose bleed levels but the seller hasn't had anyone come to look see after several months for sale. I've seen a similar car listed at 2x his elevated asking price. I view a 1950s car as a depreciating item. Those that want 1950s cars are getting up in age as well. I hear the same complaint about demand for 1960s C2 corvettes on the corvette forum(I own a 63 convertible). I don't see many 1950s cars or older in the televised auctions. Apparently the action at least for auction cars is mostly 1970s and 1980s!

I hope this doesn't still the pot too much. But it is my experience and MHO!

Is it me or is there little demand for Model As? Going the was of Model Ts?

BTW I'll have a very good quality freshly restored early 1928 open cab pickup with multi-disc clutch for sale shortly!
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote