Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #41
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Restored cars

37 Coupe that is interesting about that Roadster.

Looks like the Brookville line maybe won't really affect values of originals all that much, if this is typical. May even create more interest and bump up the values?

Seems like I read on here about a restoration shop that did a '28 Roadster in a repop body (Brookville?) and it turned out quite nicely and actually fooled most of the Model A community. I'm sure I would have been one of them that off hand wouldn't have spotted it.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #42
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Restored cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
I'm not sure i understand. If a restorer is knowledgeable enough to tell the difference, why wouldn't he/she use that knowledge to make their own restorations authentic enough to not be noticeably different from this well preserved original??.

Good point, ...and hopefully this will help you understand. Each restorer should do their own research and come to their own conclusion(s) regarding what is accurate and authentic for their Model-A(A). The 'Model A Restoration Guideline & Judging Standards' book produced by both clubs is provided for two main objectives. The first is it is a guideline for someone who does not wish to spend a large amount of time researching the authenticity and/or the correctness of their vehicle. In other words, it is a compilation of other hobbyist's research. The second objective for that book is to be a Judging Standard, -or Rule Book by which a vehicle is to evaluated against in a competition format. In this book, there are slight deviations that are not exactly how the vehicle was manufactured, ...or there are liberties given to the competitors. An example of such liberties might be an area where parts that were originally unfinished (bare metal) are allowed to be painted in the interest of preservation of the vehicle. Another such area is coating or paint materials used. While we know based on reading the M-Specs of different coatings, that fenders & wheels were an alkyd enamel, bodies were painted with nitrocellulose lacquer, certain chassis components either alkyd enamel or pyroxylin, and the frame itself painted with bituminous tar. The RG&JS book does not require those specific coatings to be applied. Therefore most restorers use modern coatings readily available to them. That is why that most accurately restored Model-As can be distinguished from an original one.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)