Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2015, 04:57 AM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: '35 Large Top Tank Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
To supplement Dave G's information above, here is a summary of a Ford SK drawing addressing the various radiators used in 1935 production. While suppliers adhered to Ford's performance specifications they used variations of fin and capacity design.
Don, great information. Thank you. You and DavidG are amazing when it comes to the amount of knowledge you both have on these early Ford V-8's. Is that chart possibly somewhere in the '35 - '36 Book? I looked quickly under radiators a couple days ago and did not see that info there.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:29 AM   #22
Don Rogers

John, This detailed information is not in The 35-36 Book. It was discovered years after the book was originally printed. This information and a lot more could eventually be included in a supplement to the book or a total rewrite of the book(ugh).

Regards,
Don
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:42 AM   #23
RobR'35

Id buy that book without question.I also looked through the '35-'36 book and found nothing.
In researching this car and the '35 info that's out there I find im always hungry to find more.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:12 AM   #24
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR'35 View Post
Thanks for all the great information guys. This Ford Barn is a wealth of knowledge.
GM, I have not put the stop leak stuff or anti freeze in the system yet.
ive been running straight distilled water so far to make sure all the bugs are out of the system.
The stop leak is part of the pump installation instructions and may have prevented your problem. G.M.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #25
RobR'35

I realize it was part of the install instructions. Im unsure as to how that would have prevented the tank from oil canning. Don't get me wrong, I in no way am putting blame to the pump builder.
I was more concerned if others had experienced this same sort of thing and the ideas they may have had to change or correct it.
Id buy these pumps again for another engine without thought.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:41 PM   #26
JM 35 Sedan

I believe what G.M. is saying is.... if you have/had compression leaking into the cooling system, this could cause some or all of the problem you are having. You might be able to remove the radiator cap and see the compression bubbles surfacing in the top of the tank, or if you hook up the recovery bottle he mentioned, you might see these bubbles coming up through the recovered coolant there. The Barrs Stop Leak may stop the compression leak.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 05-31-2015, 01:13 PM   #27
RobR'35

Ok, gotcha! What I did was purchased a Block tester from NAPA,Balkamp product.
I used it about a dozen times and the results were negative for exhaust gases.
In using it i had to make a special rubber washer so I could block the rad. cap catch notches in the fill hole. Im certain I had good tests.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #28
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
John-

Something I have noticed when comparing '35 small top radiators with '35 large top is the angle the hoses take to get to their respective radiator openings from the engine. The large top with its' down pointing outlets requires a slightly longer reach of the hoses. This longer reach creates a sharper angle that places the upper radiator hoses very close to the fan blades. If all goes correctly you have about 3/8" clearance. The smaller tank with its' "banana tube" openings extends farther away from the radiator and as result the radiator hoses coming from the engine are not at a sharp angle and thus avoid the fan blades with ease.

Now, my observations may differ from what others have found and this may not be necessarily the case for all '35 radiators as Ford was doing a LOT of experimentation with radiator size and shape to overcome testy cooling problems.

Tom
Tom, I never really noticed this difference. I will put both types (large tank vs. small tank) side by side, and put top hoses on tubes to see if angle is different. Will add picture here later to show what I find.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #29
Straightpipes

I am surprised at how many people run pressure in thier stock radiators. I have a 34 and a 35 and was always afraid to cause a leak. Both of mine run cool anyway with the blocks super cleaned when I built them and the correct timing. Lots of raving on here about Skips pumps etc but I just don't see the need.

Of course, I don't live in the desert either........
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #30
RobR'35

Update to the radiator situation.
I took the 3lbs. pressure valve off and put a pint size over flow tank on with a breather as G.M. suggested.
With the engine at operating temp I went for a spin.Id say I was going around 65 m.p.h.. While going I could watch the top of the tank oil canning about a quarter inch,someimes as much as a half inch.
Then all of a sudden the tank sucked down about an inch and a half an never flexed back up. Almost home and watching it all the while still oil canning about a quarter inch up and down.
Its weird, ud think it would draw air from the overflow tube and not suck down the tank top down.
Up to this change id been running the 3 lbs valve with some flex.Maybe 3/8".Especially with the engine off and cooled down it would suck down 1/2"
Im curious as to any ideas or experiances from others.Id like to solve this situation.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #31
38 coupe

Are you sure your overflow tube is open (not clogged)? It sounds like you don't have any vent in the system at all.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:40 PM   #32
RobR'35

Positively open! Water drained on its own to the over flow tank.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #33
ford38v8

Rob, it sounds like the overflow tube is blocked by the pressure cap, not releasing until the system is over-pressurized. This is a normal setup for a pressurized system without an overflow tank. With an overflow tank, however, the tube has the pressure valve like you have, but is separated away from the fill tube and cap.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #34
RobR'35

It doesn't have a pressure cap. Over flow tube is separate and always open on the '35 radiator.Only way its closed off is if I put the 3lbs check valve on.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #35
Brian

In '35, Ford used several differing radiator designs. You have one of the large top tank versions. Where is the end of the overflow tube located in your particular radiator? Under the filler cap or up in the uppermost centre of the tank?
Old 06-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #36
RobR'35

Upper most dimple on the tank top Brian.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #37
Brian

Cool! Right, that is the ideal location. Seems to me that if radiator was pressurising, the tank would want to expand outwards, from your description, it sounds as though vacuum is sucking it inwards. I cannot comprehend this. As you understand, the outlet /overflow is open to atmospheric pressure, even if it is running into catchcan as I suggested you fit, and which you have done without success. Therefore the system can 'breathe'. Can you try testing again, but leave the radiator cap loose? , ie, not screwed down tight. See if it behaves itself like that.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #38
RobR'35

Ill give it a try.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #39
35 coupe

On my 35 the overflow is under the cap (not pressurized) and when ever I go around a right turn, you can see a trail of water that runs out the overflow. If I go on about 25-30 mile ride I have to add about 1/2 gal of fluid and the car does not overheat, and the plugs are not wet or sooty, where does it go I have a large tank on mine. I notice under the cap there is a deflector that the water can only come in or go out in one direction, looks like a 3/4 bowl.
35 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #40
keith oh

I am surprised nobody has mentioned a bad coil causing the warm engine starting problems. Sure gave me fits until I had Skip rebuild it.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote