Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #21
nick c

Default Re: Model A Improvements

These are all good improvements, I like my single barrel downdraft Ford carb from an inline 6, 300 ci, and a centrifugal advance dist. I made my own intake and exhaust headers
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #22
barry022

Let's not forget using a diode instead of a coil assembly in the cutout switch mounted on the generator. Henry Ford would definitely approve of that improvement.
barry022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #23
rfitzpatrick

Thanks everyone -- very interesting ideas I can think about-
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #24
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonheine View Post
I think it’s ironic that Model A enthusiasts buy a Model A because of what it is, and then once they obtain one they spend the rest of their lives modifying and upgrading it until it’s no longer a Model A anymore. There are degrees to this phenomenon, and I am guilty of having this tendency myself. It’s definitely funny and ironic though, you start with a Model A and after 12 years of tinkering and upgrades via metamorphosis it becomes comparable to a Toyota. (LOL!, I hope you see the humor and still see the genuine propensity that we have to do this.) I hold myself back, but it’s a hobby, enjoy it as you wish. Make your Model A the way you want it to be.
What you're describing is what probably began right after the first 'A' was driven off the showroom floor! "modifying and upgrading" was in full swing during the Model T days so there was an established industry ready to sell you all sorts of "improvements" for your new (or new to you) Model A!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #25
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
What you're describing is what probably began right after the first 'A' was driven off the showroom floor! "modifying and upgrading" was in full swing during the Model T days so there was an established industry ready to sell you all sorts of "improvements" for your new (or new to you) Model A!
It can be hard to remember these days just how big the market was for dealer-installed options and accessories. Custom paint jobs, premium hubcaps, radios, and a host of engine upgrades. Much of the advertising at the time was targeted at dealers, enthusing about how they'd boost their profit with this must-have product.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #26
mvdv

Never heard it said better
mvdv is offline   Reply With Quote