Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2015, 09:35 AM   #21
Scott H in Wheaton

Default Re: Whhat happens to the Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
In Alabama, you cannot get a title for a car built before 1975, even if you have the title they won't recognize it. So I registered my car and sold the title to a guy who buys and sells them. The numbers didn't match my car anymore anyway and I will never sell it again so the title was a useless piece of paper to me.
Sad to say, but when you are gone eventually SOMEONE will have to sell it, and I'll bet they would be happy to have a title to make their job easier.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #22
Scott H in Wheaton

I was fortunate here in Illinois. Bought my 36 pickup locally from what started as an Ebay ad. Met the seller and did a cash deal.

Frame was so pock-marked with rust there was no way to see any of the supposed frame numbers. Engine and trans had been swapped. Basically no more numbers remaining from original. But it DID come with a Michigan title for a '36 Ford pickup from the 1960's.

Turned in the title with my $$ and 3-4 weeks later got my brand new Illinois title. So here anyway, even an old out of state title can be helpful.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #23
47 flatbed

There should definitely be some standard titling system for all states. Ohio is horrible! Bought my wife's 41 pu with bill of sale from montanna (don't ever buy am thing from Missoula montanna Kevin Littel is a crook) ohio still has not issued me a title 500 in attorney and court cost and as far as their concerned there is no record and will not issue me a title.
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
I was fortunate here in Illinois. Bought my 36 pickup locally from what started as an Ebay ad. Met the seller and did a cash deal.

Frame was so pock-marked with rust there was no way to see any of the supposed frame numbers. Engine and trans had been swapped. Basically no more numbers remaining from original. But it DID come with a Michigan title for a '36 Ford pickup from the 1960's.

Turned in the title with my $$ and 3-4 weeks later got my brand new Illinois title. So here anyway, even an old out of state title can be helpful.
Sounds so simple, huh? I really hope you never have to PROVE that truck is YOURS, like if you go to sell it, or if it's stolen, or if you ever have to make an insurance claim (the adjuster WILL inspect the serial number), or if someone makes a liability claim against YOUR insurance on "that" truck. Just sayin'.......! It could get really ugly. That little piece of paper don't mean squat if there are no numbers to back it up. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #25
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Sounds so simple, huh? I really hope you never have to PROVE that truck is YOURS, like if you go to sell it, or if it's stolen, or if you ever have to make an insurance claim (the adjuster WILL inspect the serial number), or if someone makes a liability claim against YOUR insurance on "that" truck. Just sayin'.......! It could get really ugly. That little piece of paper don't mean squat if there are no numbers to back it up. DD
If I care to re-title it the DMV says to bring my existing title along with the bill of sale of the replacement frame I used (because the replacement frame was rust free and had clear numbers on it) and they will issue a generic number from Illinois. The point being is everything is much easier if you have documentation!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #26
34pickup

Quote:
Sad to say, but when you are gone eventually SOMEONE will have to sell it, and I'll bet they would be happy to have a title to make their job easier.
Not if they sell it here in this state or other non title states. The title didn't match anyway so someone must have found a title and registered it to this car. Not really legal I think.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #27
TagMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
I had a beautiful title, issued by New York State in 1946. It had assorted colors and engravings almost like dollar and other denomination bills, so it couldn't be forged. When I went to my local DMV, I asked if I could keep it because I wanted to frame it, but I had to surrender it and it was shredded. Broke my heart but the clerk didn't want to hear it.

That had to be a registration, not a title. NYS never issued titles until 1972.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:47 AM   #28
WRA

Quote:
Slight typo, its a PINK slip.
Thanks, blasted auto correct, didn't even see that one
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote