Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
COE Dan

Default Question: How to re-orient big truck 2-speed axle shift lever in axle

Ford Barners,

My ’47 COE has the 2-speed Ford/Eaton rear axle. From ’45-47, the axle was shifted by vacuum. Due to the fact that vacuum diaphragms and switch valves are not obtainable new and therefore unlikely to be reliable, I intend to retrofit my ’47 truck with a ’42 COE mechanical (lever) shift assembly. In order to install it, I need to re-orient the shift fork lever located in the rear axle. In the 45-47 vacuum shifted trucks, the end of L-shaped lever points away from truck centerline (towards wheels) and the earlier 40-44 trucks require the shift lever to point towards the centerline (towards driveshaft). I’ve included diagrams showing the 40-44 and 45-47 orientations.

The cutaway picture indicates that the shift lever in the axle is splined (see no. 23). The Ford green parts book indicates the lever is the same regardless of year. I should therefore be able to re-orient it.

My question is: Can I re-orient this lever without disassembling the entire rear axle carrier?

I’m looking for anyone who might have experience rebuilding one of these axles. Thanks much.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford-Eaton 2spd axle shift 40-44.jpg (93.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Ford-Eaton 2spd axle shift 45-47.jpg (55.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Ford-Eaton 2spd axle cutaway.jpg (53.9 KB, 18 views)
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #2
scrapiron

Default Re: Question: How to re-orient big truck 2-speed axle shift lever in axle

Use an idler lever pivoted in the center in the rods going back, push becomes pull, and vice/versa. No change needed at the rear.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
COE Dan

Default Re: Question: How to re-orient big truck 2-speed axle shift lever in axle

Thanks for the idea. I'm not certain I have to room to do that - I've got the 101" wheelbase truck but I'll keep it in mind.

Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote