Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #41
rockfla

Default Re: 6 volt optima battery

Has Anyone mounted one in a 32??
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #42
rockfla

I better clarify my previous post before someone gets "bent". Is there info out there where one has been installed and made to look original for a 1932 Ford?? Maybe using a Ford Script case??
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #43
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
I better clarify my previous post before someone gets "bent". Is there info out there where one has been installed and made to look original for a 1932 Ford?? Maybe using a Ford Script case??
Restoration Battery makes one for ONLY $295.00 advertised as a '28-'32 Model A battery.

http://www.restorationbattery.com/modela.html

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #44
JSeery
Member Emeritus

My understanding (I haven't attempted it yet myself) is the Optima is to tall for the under-floor installation without modifying the battery holder. It appears to be a fairly simple mod to lower the holder to clear the top of the battery. This assumes you are wanting to place the battery in upright in a Ford style case.

Both of these links are from earlier JM 35 Sedan post:

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...attery+install

http://www.norgv8club.org/norg/index...norg-tech-tips

This is a topic that has been discussed many times and a search will turn up a lot of links.

Last edited by JSeery; 04-02-2015 at 04:29 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #45
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Yes, technically they are also lead acid batteries, but the difference is......

Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries like OPTIMA® Batteries, help you avoid issues like spillage that can occur with traditional flooded batteries. Sealed AGM batteries do not sulfate or degrade like flooded batteries do, since they are not vented to the atmosphere. The absorbed glass mat design holds the electrolyte in suspension while keeping it in constant contact with the active lead material on the plates. This results in higher efficiency when both discharging and recharging, since there is more surface area contact between these critical elements.
John, the Optima is vented which can be a problem with them. I had 3 fail that were just about 3 years old which is strangely when their warrentee runs out. I cut 2 of them apart and found the top ends of the 6 or 8 thin lead leads off the top ends of each cell where they are soldered to the bottom of the battery terminals were erroided. They looked like they were cut by a plasma cutting torch. One battery was completely dead with the connection making no contact, the other one was cut but making a very slight connection. This connection was enough to run the engine if I started it with my 12 volt jumper box but would not even pull the starter solenoid in. I drove it like this for about 1,000 miles from Va. to SW Florida. At night after it was started the alternator supplied enough power for the headlights. There is about 3/4 to 1" air space above the top of the cells with a small hole to the outside to vent the gas off. I think the small 6 volt automatic chargers I used were on when I didn't use the cars and made gas the did the batteries in. In looking at information on I believe was Deka they use a spring loaded check valve that only vents when pressure is built up inside. I just bought 5 6 volt Optima's on eBay for $110.00 each with free shipping. I tried to get them down a little but they wouldn't budge. I also bought a 12 volt high cranking amp 12 volt red top for $148.00 including shipping. These prices were the lowest I have seen for a while. All had March 2015 manufactured dates so they were not some old batteries that sat around for a while. G.M.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #46
34ford

they are a lot nicer than original type, if you don,t see them.
34ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #47
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Has Anyone mounted one in a 32??
Yes I mounted one in a 32 cabriolet a few weeks ago. This is an almost perfect car and I didn't want to modify it. I laid a piece of 1/2" plywood about 8 X 10"s down in the bottom with a 2 X 2 across the bottom front edge. The battery lays in with the rear down on the plywood and the front edge on the 2 X 2 at about a 45% angle. The POS terminal in towards the transmission with 2 bungy cords holding it down. The floor lid fits on good.
Attached are several pictures of boxes I made for some of my drivers. Notice the acid marks on the 39 P/U firewall from the old lead acid batteries. The 39 P/U is similar to a 37 where the battery mounts in the firewall. This box sits in like the battery and is held in by the original battery hold downs. The Optima sits in the front of the new box and has a section in the rear for several quarts of oil. The 34 P/U is Skips, it has dual exhaust which we ran back through the frame and made a box to keep the Optima away from the exhaust. These are all 16 gauge with large vent holes and mounted using existing holes. I don't like the batteries under the floor, they tend to get neglected. As for the green battery disconnects I don't use them any more, to many failures. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OPTIMA 35 Roadster.JPG (57.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Optima 39 CS.jpg (55.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg OPTIMA 39 P- U.JPG (66.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg OPTIMA BATTERY BOX 34.jpg (57.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by G.M.; 04-03-2015 at 02:12 PM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:33 PM   #48
37stake

I just replaced my acid battery with an Optima AGM and enclosed in a battery disguise box purchased from Woody's Custom Shop www.woodyscustomshop.com The box comes with white caps; removed them and used the black caps from the old battery. The cranking amps are night and day over the acid; starts like a charm! Wish I would have done this along time ago. Also replaced the Autolite 216's with NGK B6L.

Anyone know where I can locate the battery hold down bolt? (left side) '37 1/2 ton stake bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1704.JPG (39.1 KB, 53 views)
37stake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #49
tubman

I also got a case from "Woody's Custom Shop" It took some work with a Dremel, but I was able to get it to fit my Optima. I had to cut down the ribs on the bottom of the box, as well as the top. For the price he charges, I would have expected a better fit. If I had to do it again, I'd scrape up an old 6 volt battery of the proper size and clean out the old case and use it. Hell, at the price he charges, you could buy a new battery and clean it out and still be ahead.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #50
tomkc1

Question Re: 6 volt optima battery

I've read so many posts about the Optima Red Top 6 volt battery but I still have a question. Is there more than one style or model number Red Top 6 volt or does one size fit all?

I went to the Optima web site and they say they don't have "direct fit" for my 1934 Ford V-8 and suggest I go to another site (autobatteries.com) to find a battery. I'm confused and any help is appreciated.

Tom
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #51
adileo

The Optima design - is what it is - to the best of my knowledge it's only one size. To keep the classic look (as mentioned above) I bought a fake 6 volt case. Unless you tell someone that an Optima resides inside one, they would never know
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #52
ford38v8

Tom, Fords used a 2LF battery up till 1939, and changed to a 2HF in 1940. The difference is in the height, L = low, H= high. The Optima has been redesigned, a bit taller than previously, and no longer is a direct fit into the 2LF case. What is done then, is to fabricate a skirt below the original case. For the early Fords with the battery below the floorboard, a lower battery tray can be fabricated so as to provide the additional room required.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #53
adileo

Alan

Mine fit without any alterations to the box. I bought it from:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.0 KB, 46 views)
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #54
tomkc1

Thanks for the help guys but I still need to know if there is more than 1 Optima 6 volt Red Top. It looks like I need the 8010-044. Is that right?
Old 12-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #55
ford38v8

There is only one.

Amazon sale right now $112.59
Old 12-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #56
tomkc1

Thanks Alan.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:49 AM   #57
Drbrown

Strongly recommend NOT buying any battery from Amazon. Read reviews there regarding dealings with Optima warranties. Quality is like water, it flow downhill. Bad batteries, including Optima, happen often enough and Amazon will not help you. You get what you pay for.

Optima a/k/a Johnson Controls sold out of USA and the batteries are now made in Mexico. Their offices are now in Canada. Buy USA if you can and especially buy local even if you pay more. At least you can negotiate with a person. If you don't get satisfaction take them to your local Small Claims Court. I did, for a $25 fee (at the time). The judge made the company fully reimburse my claim including the $25 fee.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #58
HCO41

All info above re: Optima battery is informative, just a couple of additional questions.
* I have a dead Ford script battery with exposed cell links that measures 7-1/8 high from bottom of '37 battery box to the top of the case (height of links and terminals not included). Is this the case that would require the "skirt" to contain the Optima?
* When installing Optima into an old style case, how is the line up of the terminals handled ie., do the terminals line up with original terminal holes in top and what is done with the lead cell links if I want an original look?
HOTCOUPE'S install looks perfect, nice job!
Thanks,
Howard

Last edited by HCO41; 12-12-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: measurement
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #59
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Might try a search, this topic has been discussed many times on the Barn. There have been some good solutions posted in the past.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #60
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCO41 View Post
All info above re: Optima battery is informative, just a couple of additional questions.
* I have a dead Ford script battery with exposed cell links that measures 7-1/8 high from bottom of '37 battery box to the top of the case (height of links and terminals not included). Is this the case that would require the "skirt" to contain the Optima?
* When installing Optima into an old style case, how is the line up of the terminals handled ie., do the terminals line up with original terminal holes in top and what is done with the lead cell links if I want an original look?
HOTCOUPE'S install looks perfect, nice job!
Thanks,
Howard
Howard, Not sure on the height you cited, but if it is, you can simply put down an extra thick "battery mat" with a hole in it to accommodate the extra hirghty.

The acid battery case will require a thin piece of ABS plastic on top, so you can locate the holes precisely. Carefully remove the lead connectors and fill holes & caps. Use the old tar from the top to disguise the plastic. Super short version here, but you get the idea.