Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
slantback37

Default Rubber nailer??

Making door panels for my 37 Tudor. I was measuring for the rear side panels. I see where there are some blocks. Some are missing. Looks like they may be rubber. There is still a few nails in a few of them. What is this stuff called??, and can I use wood instead of?? Also. Where might I find this stuff.. Thanks
slantback37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
meric42

Default Re: Rubber nailer??

I think what you are looking for is "tack strip". A number of suppliers list it, but Lebarron Bonney might have it?

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
40cpe

google "automotive upholstery tack strip"
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
TJ

Drake and others carry it. The old stuff has hardened up by now and needs to be changed. The new stuff sold by the vendors holds staples and tacks extremely well. You can use wood, but frankly it will not hold as well as the new tack strip material. Because this holds your windlace and panels you want something that hold well the first time. You do not want to do it twice because the first stuff didn't hold.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
slantback37

Thanks. I found it at Mac's. $1.99 per foot. I bought 3'. Should be a good start. I don't see it going the all the way up on the side. There are maybe 4 holes on the edge for the clips. Was that tack strip used only for the wind lace??
Old 07-11-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantback37 View Post
Thanks. I found it at Mac's. $1.99 per foot. I bought 3'. Should be a good start. I don't see it going the all the way up on the side. There are maybe 4 holes on the edge for the clips. Was that tack strip used only for the wind lace??
Some bodies have a Channel around the rear of the body under the rear window to tack the headliner in. Usually you'll see it up the front edge of the door opening , across the top and down the rear of the door opening.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Some bodies have a Channel around the rear of the body under the rear window to tack the headliner in. Usually you'll see it up the front edge of the door opening , across the top and down the rear of the door opening.
X2. And also some cars use the tack strip to also hold the panels. The panels on some cars are brad nailed to the tack strip over the back edge of the windlace.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
slantback37

I am trying to picture that. I have the 1937 Ford Book, but it doesn't show much on how it was done. I see that the wind lace goes under the door panel, but I were to nail that to that tack strip.. Wouldn't that be seen?? I started out making all of my panels out of 1/8" wall paneling. Then I was told by someone at the Trim Shop to make them out of this plastic you can get at lumber yards. It is used to panel a bathroom where it could get wet, but won't be hurt. I'll have to take a pic or two of where I need to put the panel in the car.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantback37 View Post
I am trying to picture that. I have the 1937 Ford Book, but it doesn't show much on how it was done. I see that the wind lace goes under the door panel, but I were to nail that to that tack strip.. Wouldn't that be seen?? I started out making all of my panels out of 1/8" wall paneling. Then I was told by someone at the Trim Shop to make them out of this plastic you can get at lumber yards. It is used to panel a bathroom where it could get wet, but won't be hurt. I'll have to take a pic or two of where I need to put the panel in the car.
What happens is the windlace is put on first and it goes up against the door jamb edge. The selvage of the windlace is tacked or stapled to the tack strip. Then the panel is put on to cover the tacks or staples of the windlace. The panel is then brad nailed to the tack strip. You then use a needle to pull the upholstery material that is attached to the panel up over the bad nail to cover up the head of the brad nail.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
slantback37

That makes sense. Thanks. My interior is not the original mohair. It will be Black and Grey swede. It is glued to a 1/8" dense foam. I can drill holes in the panel over the tack strip. Nail it into place. Then just brush some of the glue over the nail heads, and put it in place. The material can then be tucked under the lip. Back side windows will be stationary, so I won't have to worry about window cranks. The front windows are power, and the windshield still cranks out.