Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
50fordcoupeman
Senior Member
 
50fordcoupeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LaGrande Oregon
Posts: 473
Default Heater temperature control valve 302 engine

My avatar has a 1971 302 engine. The car has the original heater. The heater control valve doesn't shut off completely. The NAPA parts man THINKS the current valve is installed on the wrong heater hose. My question is does the valve go in the the line coming from the water pump or does it go on the line going into the intake manifold?

Thank you!!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere Between Lost and Found
Posts: 2,014
Post Re: Heater temperature control valve 302 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post

My avatar has a 1971 302 engine. The car has the original heater. The heater control valve doesn't shut off completely. The NAPA parts man THINKS the current valve is installed on the wrong heater hose. My question is does the valve go in the the line coming from the water pump or does it go on the line going into the intake manifold?

Thank you!!!
The INTAKE MANIFOLD is the pressure side and the WP the return side. Usually the PRESSURE SIDE hose goes to the bottom heater core tube as to have to fluid run upwards to supply heat more thoroughly.
__________________


My Colonoscopy Results Just Came Back. Perfect Score.

Wife Always Calls Me An A$$-Hole And I Just Wanted To Be Perfect For Her.

KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
50fordcoupeman
Senior Member
 
50fordcoupeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LaGrande Oregon
Posts: 473
Default Re: Heater temperature control valve 302 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
The INTAKE MANIFOLD is the pressure side and the WP the return side. Usually the PRESSURE SIDE hose goes to the bottom heater core tube as to have to fluid run upwards to supply heat more thoroughly.
So the valve should go into the pressure side right? If this is the case then the NAPA guy was right because my valve is currently in the water pump hose. This would put hot water into the heater core all the time regardless if the valve is open or closed.

Thank you Kultulz!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere Between Lost and Found
Posts: 2,014
Thumbs up Re: Heater temperature control valve 302 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post

So the valve should go into the pressure side right? If this is the case then the NAPA guy was right because my valve is currently in the water pump hose. This would put hot water into the heater core all the time regardless if the valve is open or closed.
Correct. If it is @ the WP return, the HTR CORE will not see constant hot coolant but just enough to make it uncomfortable in the summer.
__________________


My Colonoscopy Results Just Came Back. Perfect Score.

Wife Always Calls Me An A$$-Hole And I Just Wanted To Be Perfect For Her.

KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
50fordcoupeman
Senior Member
 
50fordcoupeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LaGrande Oregon
Posts: 473
Default Re: Heater temperature control valve 302 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Correct. If it is @ the WP return, the HTR CORE will not see constant hot coolant but just enough to make it uncomfortable in the summer.
Thank you again. That was exactly what was happening!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:05 AM   #6
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere Between Lost and Found
Posts: 2,014
Post Re: Heater temperature control valve 302 engine

You are quite welcome ...
__________________


My Colonoscopy Results Just Came Back. Perfect Score.

Wife Always Calls Me An A$$-Hole And I Just Wanted To Be Perfect For Her.

KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.