Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
Owlseye

Default Engine Mount Adapters

I hope this hasn't been asked to much. I did a search and didn't find the answer. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 48-6038-ADT mount and the 41A-6023 mount adapters? All that I see in the pictures is the bolt kit. It says 41A-6023 fits up to 1934 and 48-6038-ADP fits 1935 on till 1949. C&G Ford parts says they are the same height but aren't sure about the offset of the holes.

I have a 1934 Model BB chassis# 18BB-513999 1 1/2 ton truck and will be trying to put an 8BA engine in it. I have the Truck water pumps and later generator with strap mount, cast iron bell housing.
There is a $25 difference in the mount kits and if the bolts or welded nuts are the only difference I'd like to go with the least expensive kit.
I know I will have to shave the outer crank pulley flange off to clear the front cross member since the 8BA uses a longer pulley to clear the distributor.
Any help would be great, also still looking for 4 20" tire cores that can be used to make the truck a roller. John
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Owlseye

Default Re: Engine Mount Adapters

Does anyone know the difference in the 2 kits?
Old 10-31-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Should be self explanatory, the (41A-6023) fits '32-'34.

The (48-6038) fits '35-'41.

You say that you have a '34
Old 10-31-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have always used the original Ford parts, but shouldn't make any difference. The 6010 reference is to 24 stud replacement engine blocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (32.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Engine Front Support Group.jpg (8.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 10-31-2019 at 03:28 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
Owlseye

OK. They both are offset in the holes, both are the same height, both fitting later model wide water pump mounts. I guess I should ask are the OFFSETs the same? The only thing I see is that one has the nut welded to the mount and the other does does not. If the bracket is the same I can weld the nut myself for a lot less then $23 in price. It looks like everyone buys and lists 41-6023 as the mount for all that I have seen on this list. Thank you 51 Merc for what I can already read. I wanted to know if anyone knew what the difference was between them first hand.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:34 PM   #6
Owlseye

Thank you JSeery the engine I will be using is a 24 bolt/stud 1951 truck engine in a 1934 commercial truck. Large truck, not a pick-up. Since most listings are for car and small truck that is why I am asking.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:36 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

All I can tell you is I mostly work with 33/34 frames and use the adaptor Ford called out for that frame. The ones I have seen do not have anything other than holes drilled in them and the holes are off-set. To make life more interesting there is also a version with a stud attached that I believe was used with later mercury engines. Maybe someone else can comment of the other styles as I have no direct experance.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
Owlseye

51 MERC-CT The truck has a 59AB engine in it now with no adapters. Of course it sets too low that way, but was used for many years in this configuration. Since it is the larger commercial truck there are some clearance differences. more space at the firewall for vent/fuel pump, bigger radiator and such. I was hoping someone had done the same fitment and could help with prior knowledge of what fits and save me some time and money experimenting.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

No experience with the trucks (I have one but haven't done much with it). I think the one bracket is more expensive because one side is tapped to except a bolt. The reason for that is the close space between the two sides make it difficult to get both nuts and bolts in that space.

Updated based on 51 MERC input.

Last edited by JSeery; 10-31-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:09 PM   #10
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlseye View Post
51 MERC-CT The truck has a 59AB engine in it now with no adapters. Of course it sets too low that way, but was used for many years in this configuration. Since it is the larger commercial truck there are some clearance differences. more space at the firewall for vent/fuel pump, bigger radiator and such. I was hoping someone had done the same fitment and could help with prior knowledge of what fits and save me some time and money experimenting.
In as much as the heights are the same, but the offsets are different and you have the facility to relocate the hole.
Makes sense to get the (48-6038) and modify it to work.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
In as much as the heights are the same, but the offsets are different and you have the facility to relocate the hole.
Makes sense to get the (48-6038) and modify it to work.
Thanks 51 MERC, I don't know anything about the later adaptors!